Author Topic: Infinity Whiplash & Blackfish LTD version  (Read 35102 times)

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Infinity Whiplash & Blackfish LTD version
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2017, 12:31:57 PM »
got any pics of your whiplash with those 4 fins warmuth?

My reasoning for the whiplash is for flat and calm days and the blackfish for the bay & ocean days.
I took the whiplash in a 1-2ft surf and it is twitchy compare to the blackfish. It would be interesting to see the whiplash with the probox/ventral fin setup and compare with the blackfish single fin setup.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2017, 02:48:36 PM »
I think that there was some information around that the "Limited" a.k.a. made overseas were sometime lighter than the construction in the USA (might be from Kayyadog in this forum).

I'm not sure if I'm the one that alluded to this but it's possible. Sometimes they may be lighter than customs, sometimes not. Obviously customs, and even production boards, will have some weight variance. Over time, repairs, trapped water etc. will also make a board heavier. The LTD boards are very light but also feel solid and durable. In my experience, they hold up very well. Really nice tradeoff between a competitive price, low weight and durability. I know people say you can only have 2 out of the 3 but these boards seem to be a nice happy medium of the 3.

Ive only used the twin/ventral combo so far. I might put a standard fin in it just to see what type of differences I can discern.`If it's less stable as a single then I'll rule out ever using one fin on that board. It is very twitchy.

warmuth, in my experience and in my opinion, I liked using a single fin in both the Blackfish and Whiplash in open ocean. This is not to say that it's better, just what I prefer. Dave Boehne uses the triple fin setup and sometimes even a ventral in the ocean. It's all about feel and also getting the fins that work the best for you and the board. The reason I like a single fin better is that the triple fin setup that I use has a much shorter height. Surface area was roughly the same when you add everything up but when paddling in swells/chop, as the tail would lift up, it would feel like the fins would break free now and then and slip. I didn't like this feeling and felt more "locked in" with a taller single fin. Again, all personal preference. The one thing I can say is that it's really nice having the option to run a single or trips and/or ventral.

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2017, 06:23:41 PM »
  So far the only thing I really notice is the triple with ventral is much faster to get to speed from a dead stop. Right now I just need to figure out the best option for stability. My board doesn't have a recessed deck for whatever reason, the video Dave linked me showed the whiplash coming with a recess. That combined with a somewhat v shape on the bottom at the back end of the board seems to be contributing to it being quite a tippy board. 26 pounds is also a bit shocking to me for a 3500.00 custom carbon board.

I'll try to get some pics of the fin set up tomorrow.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »
got any pics of your whiplash with those 4 fins warmuth?

My reasoning for the whiplash is for flat and calm days and the blackfish for the bay & ocean days.
I took the whiplash in a 1-2ft surf and it is twitchy compare to the blackfish. It would be interesting to see the whiplash with the probox/ventral fin setup and compare with the blackfish single fin setup.

Whiplash 14' by 23" with Allison Race Twins Thought I would share with you my friend!
Allison Race Fins

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2017, 10:43:40 AM »
  I stuck my usual race fin on my Whiplash today with the side fins and ventral and the board was just about perfect stability wise. With the usual small center fin it's just too tippy. That whiplash in the pic Larry posted doesnt look to have the same V bottom mine has, I haven't asked Dave yet why my board is so much different than the whiplash in the Infinity Video as well as all the others Ive seem pics of. Speed wise between the small center fin vs standard race fin I'll have to do some runs when the wind isn't blowing 25mph.

Questions for Larry. Do you make a center fin that's deeper than the one in that pic that is also designed to work with the twins or is it a matter of picking the fin, any fin, with the best balance of stability to speed?

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
Larry has the same fin than your kick fin (6" deep) but larger (7" deep). Might be too big for a kicker.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10208286101503289&set=a.4186123264468.158878.1626125184&type=3&theater
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 10:55:57 AM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »
  I stuck my usual race fin on my Whiplash today with the side fins and ventral and the board was just about perfect stability wise. With the usual small center fin it's just too tippy. That whiplash in the pic Larry posted doesnt look to have the same V bottom mine has, I haven't asked Dave yet why my board is so much different than the whiplash in the Infinity Video as well as all the others Ive seem pics of. Speed wise between the small center fin vs standard race fin I'll have to do some runs when the wind isn't blowing 25mph.

Questions for Larry. Do you make a center fin that's deeper than the one in that pic that is also designed to work with the twins or is it a matter of picking the fin, any fin, with the best balance of stability to speed?

You can go to a bigger center fin, but I would go to a bigger Twin because the problem is at the rail not center.
Allison Race Fins

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
  Ok thanks. Contact you direct through your site to order a set?

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »
nice boards gents.

ProBox-Larry, which set size fins (probox & ventral) should I get for my whiplash 14 x 25? I'm also going to get the stinger and dolphine keel to try.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2017, 06:30:28 PM »
nice boards gents.

ProBox-Larry, which set size fins (probox & ventral) should I get for my whiplash 14 x 25? I'm also going to get the stinger and dolphine keel to try.

Probox Stealth Twins with 6" Stinger Kick and small Ventral.
Allison Race Fins

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2017, 06:54:17 PM »
warmuth, I talked to Dave today and I wanted to add some additional info to this thread.

The reason your board is different than others you've seen and the one in the video is because you have the 2017 model, the latest and greatest. Same design that Candice raced on most of last year including PPG. Single concave to double to vee out the back this year. This was for added stability and during testing they got higher speeds from Candice.

It has a flat deck because most people prefer that and the boards are higher volume, which means they are strong enough without needing to add a recessed ridge for stiffness. The 2017 Blackfish has a slight recessed ridge to increase stiffness in certain areas and make sure it doesn't flex too much.

Also, weight is determined by volume not by width or length of the board. It all depends on the girth…. a 26” wide board can weigh less than a 23” wide board if the 23” wide board is higher volume. Boards generally come in at the 20-22lb mark for a 12’6” and 21-23lb for a 14' all carbon custom, especially with the trend of higher volume boards. Add pads and 4 fins and you will get to 25+ lbs quick. Keep in mind the production boards do not have the additional fin boxes that you have in your board.

Dave will be posting some new videos in the coming weeks that highlight the features of the 2017 models. Hope this info helps.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:43 PM »
warmuth, I talked to Dave today and I wanted to add some additional info to this thread.

The reason your board is different than others you've seen and the one in the video is because you have the 2017 model, the latest and greatest. Same design that Candice raced on most of last year including PPG. Single concave to double to vee out the back this year. This was for added stability and during testing they got higher speeds from Candice.

It has a flat deck because most people prefer that and the boards are higher volume, which means they are strong enough without needing to add a recessed ridge for stiffness. The 2017 Blackfish has a slight recessed ridge to increase stiffness in certain areas and make sure it doesn't flex too much.

Also, weight is determined by volume not by width or length of the board. It all depends on the girth…. a 26” wide board can weigh less than a 23” wide board if the 23” wide board is higher volume. Boards generally come in at the 20-22lb mark for a 12’6” and 21-23lb for a 14' all carbon custom, especially with the trend of higher volume boards. Add pads and 4 fins and you will get to 25+ lbs quick. Keep in mind the production boards do not have the additional fin boxes that you have in your board.

Dave will be posting some new videos in the coming weeks that highlight the features of the 2017 models. Hope this info helps.

Hey kayadogg,

Am just curious. The board I’m getting from Genna, is I believe she said a mid 2016. It’s a custom board, but she said it was designed to be the same as the 2017 models, and then I’m pretty sure she said there was no difference between the 2016 and 2017 boards in any case. Did I get that wrong then?
(Note that mine is the 12' 6" x 24 1/2" Whiplash)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:31:05 PM by Quickbeam »
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

warmuth

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2017, 03:27:16 AM »

Thanks for that.  The board is quite stiff, that is for sure. I can feel my other boards "shudder" pounding upwind where this one does not. Id still want a deck recess, the board is quite tall. Im not sure what all that volume is for to be honest. In all fairness I did tell Dave to have at it with the design given my weight so my complaints are less complaining than they are confusion. I know precisely zero about design so his judgement trumps mine. Sorting the fins will have the board working just fine.

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2017, 04:21:51 AM »
Hey kayadogg,

Am just curious. The board I’m getting from Genna, is I believe she said a mid 2016. It’s a custom board, but she said it was designed to be the same as the 2017 models, and then I’m pretty sure she said there was no difference between the 2016 and 2017 boards in any case. Did I get that wrong then?
(Note that mine is the 12' 6" x 24 1/2" Whiplash)

Hey Quickbeam, not sure if Genna's is the exact same as the 2017, depends on when she had it made. I can find out though. There will be slight differences between 2016 and 2017 versions. I think her board has the slight recessed deck and the bottom contours will be a little different. The 2016 has a subtle single concave. Either way you can't go wrong, you're going to love it.

Quickbeam

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2017, 07:18:43 AM »
Hi Kayadogg,

Yes, I can hardly wait to get it. Genna is coming out my way in mid May, so supposed to be getting it then. But I have a chance to meet her a few hours away and pick it up at the end of this month. Am just hoping it stops snowing long enough for the roads to clear up so I can make the trip and get it at the end of March!
Infinity Blackfish 12’ 6” x 23”
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 24”
Infinity Whiplash 12' 6" x 24 1/2"
ONE SUP Evo 12’ 6” x 26”
Bark Competitor 12’ 6” x 29”
Red Paddle Explorer (Inflatable) 13' 2" x 30
Starboard Airline (Inflatable) 12’ 6” x 27

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM