Author Topic: Repairing the deck of my MHL Custom  (Read 6295 times)

Supneck

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Repairing the deck of my MHL Custom
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 07:13:44 AM »
At 50 the resin will have been to cold for the bubbles to rise and escape, warm the resin before use.

Do not use polyester based fillers on epoxy for a quality repair.

Fill and level before you glass over.

Fill, sand and level, glass, sand, hotcoat with epoxy, sand, finish coat epoxy, sand, paint if needed. Simple
I tried to fill just below the surface and then level and glass at the same time. I will readjust method in the future. Thank You SupUK.
Bark 14' x 28" Dominator
MHL 14' x 24' Custom

Supneck

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 07:22:56 AM »
Supneck - thanks for starting this thread. I've found a huge gulf between theory and practice when it comes to composites. Its great to see repairs that look like mine, and for others to say its all good.
Well there is plenty more shitty work where this one came from. I sanded some more last night and found an even larger void. The second application of resin and Qcell went on also. Today it will be almost 80F so I will give it another shot today before I go to  the Boat Show.
Bark 14' x 28" Dominator
MHL 14' x 24' Custom

blackeye

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 09:55:59 AM »
Looks good to me. I see a baby beluga with a ciggy hanging out of its mouth. Don't cover that up - it has character.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »
Looks good to me. I see a baby beluga with a ciggy hanging out of its mouth. Don't cover that up - it has character.
::) Sanding is an art form. It helps to look at it that way. Any one else would just think this sanding shit sucks!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Supneck

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2017, 02:05:36 PM »
  I just finished wet sanding with 400 grit after filling in the voids and a final coat of resin. Thanks again for all the advice.
Bark 14' x 28" Dominator
MHL 14' x 24' Custom

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »
Nice. You can come by and do the finish work on mine. My repairs generally look like works of primitive man.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Supneck

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2017, 04:16:10 AM »
Nice. You can come by and do the finish work on mine. My repairs generally look like works of primitive man.
Thanks PonoBill. I made a lot of mistakes on this one. I put a flat spot on my rail with a cheap orbital sander when I should have been hand sanding and I really understand the need for a vacuum bag set up.  I just need to coax my bank account to spit out a little more.
Bark 14' x 28" Dominator
MHL 14' x 24' Custom

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal