General > The Shape Shack

Repairing the deck of my MHL Custom

(1/5) > >>

Supneck:
    I was having fun as I always do, when I stumbled across my own dumb ass self and smashed my right knee into the deck of my MHL. I have removed the broken Carbon fiber foam, not much foam, placed some S Cloth and resin with Q cell. After sanding I noticed voids in the resin. I am not sure where I went wrong. This is my first time using Q ell and think I may have used to much. I am using the West Systems 105 and 205 resin and hardener pumps. I used 3 pumps from each and then added 3 scoops of Qcell. The scoops were about 2 Tblspns or so. I mostly hand sanded , so i don't think I heated the board up or maybe I did.                                                                                                                                                                                                 I will gratefully appreciate any help and advice. thank You

supuk:
Hard to say 100% but its ether just bubbles in the resin or posably the foam has gassed out as it cured. Make sure any repairs are done when temperatures are stable for at least 2hours or droping.

PonoBill:
That's what spackle or body putty is for.

jrandy:
My first thoughts agree with Charlie- out-gassing from temperature change during the repair.

Hard to tell from the pictures...how much cloth-layers and distance from the edges of the removed skin and foam- do you have on the repair? For a first pass with Q-cell, resin, and cloth this looks really good. To make things void-free and shiny takes multiple passes with resin and sanding.

For a nice set of how-to's on board repair...http://boardlady.com/repairmenu.htm

Supneck:

--- Quote from: supuk on February 10, 2017, 10:39:54 PM ---Hard to say 100% but its ether just bubbles in the resin or posably the foam has gassed out as it cured. Make sure any repairs are done when temperatures are stable for at least 2hours or droping.

--- End quote ---
I am in South Carolina and the temps were in the 50's and falling fast. I let the mixture sit for a minute or two. maybe I should give it some more time?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version