Author Topic: 2017 Bark Ghost Vapor  (Read 10342 times)

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
2017 Bark Ghost Vapor
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
Today I took delivery of my 2017  Bark Ghost Vapor.  I almost didn't take the board because when it arrived it weighed 25 pounds. I was under the impression that the 2017 models we're going to be under or at 20 pounds. I wanted a lighter board that I could lug around.  I am 55 years old, 140 pounds,  female paddeler from Southwest Florida.  I have been spoiled because my flatwater river race board is a 19.5 pound Hovie which I adore.  She is very fragile though and the front part of her deck is a little soft. I hope that the more substantial Bark board will be more durable.  I suppose one board can't do everything now that's why a girl needs more than one board 
 I test paddled in the gulf yesterday and there was a 1 to 2 foot chop. I would've struggled in those conditions on my Hovie.  The Bark was unbelievably stable but more importantly it cut through the chop like butter.  My skill set level just took an exponential leap forward I was able to paddle and have fun and not be worried about falling in all the time. On the other hand I had it in the river this afternoon and it is definitely not as peppy as my Hovie.
 I test paddled what I thought was the 2016 Bark Carbon Vapor 14. The deck on that board is completely different. That board had a recessed deck with higher walls lateral to where your feet are. My board is completely flat and the deck pad which is white goes further back. White is good for the hot Florida sun but my feet are usually dirty.
Going for a longer paddle tomorrow in the gulf so I'll give you an update tomorrow. I'm looking at this as my SUV board to have fun on and not have to worry about balance. I'm even learning to walk the board. Happy to answer any questions.
I would love if someon from Bark could comment on the construction and weights of the boards. I guess it compares to other brands (Starboard) but oh how I wish it was 3-4 pounds less.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:26:06 PM by Esteroali »

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2017 Bark Ghost Vapor
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
Quite a departure from the looks and shape of my 2014 Dominator 14 !  I tried to find a spec on the weight of your board,  but could only find something that said about 8 lbs less than the Elite model.
It's still got to be pretty light. Hope it is not a fragile as my Dominator.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »
nice board connector14 and is this 14ft or 12ft and what width?
25 pounds (11.3kg) is a bit heavy for you but this will be good on windy days on the water and when loading onto the car which doesn't get blown away like those super lightweight board's.
nice to have 2 board quaver (flat & ocean).

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »
I'm surprised that the 12-6 is such a different shape than the 14. I guess it might be especially oriented towards BOP-type beach racing, maybe.

Or maybe it's just the pics. Do you have any of the tail and underside?

Also, that deck doesn't look "completely flat" in the pictures. But then again, pictures can be deceiving.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:45:33 PM by Area 10 »

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:40:17 PM »
12'6"
26"
Volume 231
Weight 25
Maybe too soon too tell but this board feels tough as nails.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 06:19:43 PM »
Aloha Esteroali,
I guess I'll be the first poster to confirm your suspicions...at my wifey's prompting...;-)

Your spider senses are correct...especially, as a female paddler at 140#...
Deb says that your new SUP is too heavy...probably by as much as 15-20%+ over...unless, you specified extra durability...etc...

BTW, back in the halcyon days of standup paddle racing, I had 10 people on our SUP race team and worked with Joe and Charlie...et al...so, I know that they are capable of producing a lightweight race board that won't penalize you every time you have to lift it on/off your vehicle and carry it across long stretches of sand...and, back...

There is a strategy of using a heavy board to train on and then switching to a lightweight (albeit more fragile) version the day of the race...one of my racers was a two time gold medal Olympian that employed this strategy successfully...

Anyways...I think that you are looking at a do over shooting for under 20#...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »
So are you saying I got a single board that is fatter than most or the whole production specs of this board is fat?

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 06:39:24 PM »
So are you saying I got a single board that is fatter than most or the whole production specs of this board is fat?

The only thing that I am saying is that I would not have taken possession of that board at that weight...unless, you ordered it with lots of extra layup material...4#-5# is no small thing...

Was it a proto or a custom?

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 06:48:48 PM »
My 14 Vapor Pro-Elite is 29lbs. The ghost version was advertised to be almost 8lbs lighter:

https://www.surftech.com/sup/bark-vapor-ghost-carbon-2017

So the 14 should be around the 22lb mark.

The 12-6 should be even lighter.

But of course it depends how you measure it. Those weights will be without the fin fitted, and no leash etc, and bone dry. If you weighed your board wet and with a fin it could easily have gained a couple of lbs. plus, build tolerances are usually within 10% or so, so a couple of lbs more than advertised could still be normal.

25lb for a 12-6 in a fancy carbon construction still seems a bit high though.

It's a shame because the one recurring criticisms of the Surftech Bark racing boards has been that they are on the heavy side, and I hoped that the ghost carbon construction would have addressed that (possibly at a durability price).

Part of the problem I think is that Surftech use a really good quality core rather than the cheap light packing-foam type stuff you see in some boards, that sucks in water the moment you get a ding.

But maybe if you got a really good deal on that board you just found out why....?

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 07:00:11 PM »
I do believe it's one of the first ones out there.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:09:15 PM »
I do believe it's one of the first ones out there.

Generally, in regards to the weight on a board in that genre...especially, for a wahine...light is right...and, lighter is righter...;-)

WARDOG ®

(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 08:22:37 PM »
12'6"
26"
Volume 231
Weight 25
Maybe too soon too tell but this board feels tough as nails.

Just for reference Esteroali, my Blackfish 2017:
14' x 24" at 275 Volume = 19.5LBS
It's has a very solid built as well, and I didn't even
ask for an extra light.

At 12'6" I've seen boards like mine at 17LBS so it's more
than possible.
in progress...

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 08:48:33 PM »
Gosh what I would give to have my 14ft Dominator @ 20 lbs or so.....I am sure mine weighs in at 28 lbs. plus and gets to be a pain if you have to carry any great distance!  And then,  there's my "barge" 14ft. Connector that must be at least 32 lbs!  No wonder I am so anxious to get my hands on a 14ft. Red Paddle Race board @ 22 lbs......and I can drop it or run into things without any worry !  But can I stay on it.....?? (@25 inch width)
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2017, 01:59:19 AM »
Don't be surprised if you are slower on the Red Paddle 14x25 than you are in the Dominator, unless perhaps you paddle short distances in perfectly flat windless conditions.

Esteroali

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
Just finished paddling around a local island, 5.5 miles. Very light breeze, very strong current. My time wa 1:25. I did the same course in December, similar conditions and my time was 1:15. Was pushing harder during race.
So the flat water speed of the board isn't greaT BUT my legs aren't as spent, the boat wakes were totally a non issue. I bought the board as an addition not replacement. My goal is the Key West Classic. May not happen this year due to family issues but I very very safe on the board and more importantly relaxed. Lugging it up from m the beach to my car was a bitch. Loading it on the roof was a bitch.
I paddle with a smaller blade ZRE 78. Great paddle btw. I figured out ypu really need to keep the board moving. I'm not sure if this is a true displacement board- feel free to chime in.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal