Author Topic: Fixing up and old SUP.  (Read 13366 times)

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Fixing up and old SUP.
« on: February 07, 2017, 06:27:38 AM »
I got an older Michael Dolsey 10' single fin in a trade for an old kayak i never used. Im not really excited about the build quality of the Dolsey but its a good loaner board or shorebreak board that i can abuse and fix as needed. I finally got the pad stripped off and i must say that i used a few suggestions from other zoners and it was pretty easy. My method was to use a multitool to shave off the foam of the pad first. That only took maybe 30 minutes. Then for the glue and left over amounts of pad i used desolve it citrus cleaner heavily, covered the whole board with plastic so it could marinate and not evaporate. after sitting for 6 hours it scraped off super easy and i had a clean deck in less than 25 minutes. I have been dreading the removal of that pad but thanks to you guys it wasnt bad at all.
I now an ready for the actual ding repair and there are probably 10 areas that need it. It nothing too major except around the grab handle. I really dont want to get into removing and replacing the handle being that this is a beater board. the deck is recessed around the handle so it sits higher than the surrounding glass by no more than 1/32 of an inch. Can i just use extra resin or cloth around it so it will all flow or should i sand the handle down a bit to get it more level with the surrounding deck? The deck seems solid so im not real concerned with a spongy surrounding area or anything like that. See attached pics.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing up and old SUP.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 06:58:46 AM »
I think you got a nice trade. Looking at the 8 tie downs on the board, this would also make for a nice little crabbing boards. Use two throw lines, with the ends attached to some chicken for bait, then on the other end of the throw line, tie one end to a tie down and you're ready to go crabbing.

Attach some bungee strap and criss cross it to make an "X" shape and then you have a place to store the crab dip net. To put the caught crabs in, take along a burlap sack. Padding along in a salt marsh with the opportunity to bring home a crab dinner is an added bonus.

Can't help you any info on the handle,  but I know your project will turn out well in the end.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 07:03:28 AM »
Nice project. I have to do the same to my old starboard 12-6.

You're making me want to go crabbing nightwing.....used to have traps when I was a teen....now I'm allergic.... :P >:(
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »
I'm afraid that handle is going to need re installing properly you can see the dark area of bamboo were the water is traveling down inside the board. The issue is made worse by the fact it is very hard to dry the bamboo out and get anything to stick properly to it. The foam around the hand has most probably got completely saturated and started to brake apart which is why it is compressing. You are best off cuting the wet stuff out and replacing it then do a new install with a better handle.

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »
Thanks Nightwing... i am pletty happy with the trade as well. Especially since that kayak sat in my yard for 6 years and i never used it. Crabbing is big around here and that is not a bad idea at all.

stoneaxe... I would much rather be doing all of this on a 12-6 starboard. Thats next i guess.

supuk... so do you mean just the area immediately around the handle or all of the discolored bamboo? The board hasn't seen water in over a month and nothing seems wet, but i could be wrong. Don't want to do the repairs and install a whole new pad only to find out that there is still moisture in there.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 06:07:00 PM »
any were the bamboo is darker will most likely mean moisture, its a great indicator for that (but that's about all) the board will not dry out on its own, unfortunately water can get in very easy but once its in side the bamboo and polystyrene its very hard to get out, the bamboo acts as hundreds of capillaries and allows water to travel easily down the fibres under the glass. Any small dings just sand back to the bamboo and wash with some fresh water then leave to dry as best as possible and repair. larger areas like the handle will need to be removed and inspect the foam to see what condition its in and just how much water is in there. Most of the time in high traffic area when the eps gets saturated it starts to break apart and looses any sort of strength so its better of digging out the wet stuff and replacing the area with fresh dry foam, it sounds brutal but its a lot quicker than trying to dry it out and then fix the mess that the old foam can bee in.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 08:26:57 PM »
I'd take that multitool we now know you have and cut that handle out and see what's going on around it. Then get a much bigger handle, like the blue planet handle and install it. You'll have a watertight installation with a much better handle.

There are a surprising number of people in Oregon using SUPs for crabbing. You can launch almost anywhere and reach areas that would take hours to get to by boat. You put in a few commercial-size traps, and then visit them to rebait and harvest, but you leave the traps out in the best places--year round in Oregon. I know a guy who lives on the street my beach house was on that supplies all his friends with all the crab they can handle. He only brings his traps in for repair. If you don't want crabs you just don't bait them.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 08:45:39 PM »
 what Pono Bill said - Blue Planet handle, you will know its it fixed properly and have a better grip.
@rf.boardworks

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 09:15:14 AM »
Taking all of your advise i cut out an area 4"x6" around the old handle and removed it all. There does not seem to be any moisture that i can detect. I do notice that the nose end of the hole has some spacing between the foam beads. I am assuming that this is what Supuk was talking about the foam breaking down. It doesnt seem to be anywhere else so i am going to cut the hole another couple inches towards the nose and see if i can get past the bad stuff. I dont have the time unfortunately to wait on a blue planet handle so i got an FCS non vented handle. It is a def upgrade from what was there. They also gave me some scrap foam while i was there so i can fill the void and start fresh. Surf Source supplies in Atlantic Beach, FL are awesome. They have a great website with everything for shaping too. Anyway now the fun begins. I took a few pics of the open hole so please let me know if anyone sees more that i need to investigate.

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 07:26:20 PM »
What are you using to set the handle in place?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:27:53 PM by eDUBz »
@rf.boardworks

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 07:44:42 PM »
just press some paper towel on the foam you will soon see if there is any water, your very luck if there is not and it has just wicked its way down the bamboo. Install the new bit of foam with foaming pu glue like gorilla or similar. 

The fcs handles are a nice easy install just route it out nice and tight and drop it into a nice lot of epoxy and micro balloons and let it cure, you can run glass around under the handle and out the side but I have done a 100 or so without and never had one fail. Then just put 3 patched of 6oz over the top making sure you don't have any bubbles, if you cut a I shape pattern into the patch it helps or just run around the opening with a blade to remove the excess, then sand back, hotcoat, sand and job done!

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 06:30:14 AM »
Great explanation supuk. That is the plan. I was glad to be able to get some foam so i can be assured i do it right. I have some gorilla glue as well so i will utilize it for the foam adhesion. How long do i need to wait for the gorilla glue to dry before i start the rest of the epoxy and glass work?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
If I'm done doing something large with foaming glue I leave it over night so it can fully stabalse. You want to make sure it has fully finished expanding before you go sanding it flush or glassing or you can end up with a big bump that wasn't there before.

clinto

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 06:53:11 AM »
Over the weekend i made good progress on the repairs. No moisture in the foam around the handle so i won that battle. I used the gorilla glue, vinegar, baking soda concoction to set the new foam block in the hole where the handle was. Did not really measure much and just kinda added a decent amount of each item and it worked great. I weighted the foam block down and the glue filled all the gaps and foamed out the top. Trimmed the excess off with mutli tool and done. I don't have a router so the multi tool and a sanding wheel on my dremmel took care of the new handle hole. Actually worked well. I now have fill coat and glass/ cloth coat done and now just need to sand and hot coat. I did have one area i went ahead and did the hot coat on, and it was really wavy looking. Is that normal? i also had issues with bubbles in the epoxy during the fill. Both with and without the q-cell. It was around 50 degrees the first day and 65 the second day. How do i counter act the bubbles in the future? The repairs aren't pretty but they are strong. Any suggestions for the gaps between my pad? the repairs are very visible so i can just deal with it or paint the deck under the pad. not sure i really want to get into paint honestly.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 07:15:15 AM »
Looks great. Don't paint, the repairs are battle scars. Warriors don't smear foundation makeup on theirs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal