Author Topic: A little speed testing SB AllStar 14x23 and other boards  (Read 44319 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: A little speed testing SB AllStar 14x23 and other boards
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2017, 12:04:27 PM »
SIC FX 14x25 290L?

The guy reviewing it here isn't quite as heavy as ukgm (although he's no flyweight) but he does mention specifically that it feels like it has enough volume for him whereas some other boards do not.

https://youtu.be/S3nH5RazGaA
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 12:12:06 PM by Area 10 »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2017, 12:46:30 PM »
The guy in the vid said he was around 190 lbs and that the FX25 "feels really really stable".

Seems the Naish boards are very low vol vs other brands.  According to Robby -> the M24 is the board to be racing on for Kai and the crew.

But if the other guys around 190 cannot ride it fast enough - then the 26 is the only other option.

There seems to be nothing at all wrong with being a flyweight.  In many regards that is a huge benefit when it comes to race results using those types of boards.  Lean and mean is generally regarded as a good thing in most all aspects of life.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2017, 01:52:24 PM »
so put in the AS option as well.  The 14x24.5 should be able to float you easily.  But you did say the 12'6 was kinda tippy for you.

Yes, the 24.5 AS floats 93kg ok.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2017, 03:37:53 PM »
Yeah - look like plenty of float.
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2017, 05:02:50 PM »
"In contrast, the four different width All Stars are all different thicknesses, which suggests that Starboard have done more than just make the same board in different widths."

Last year when we tried the 23 - 25 - and 28AS -> each felt completely different than the other.  The 28 felt like a barge upwind - the 25 a good very stable all purpose board for the masses - and the 23 a full on race machine for lightweight riders like Connor and Zane etc.

The Naish boards like the very svelte M24 would be an excellent complement to the AS23 we already have.  Got my eyes wide open now for that one now.  ;)
Fast is FUN!   8)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 04, 2017, 08:45:07 PM »
The top 10 in the 2016 M2O were all pretty much lightweight riders.  All probs have very high strength to weight ratios -> and very low amounts of body fat.  They all have exceptional endurance and balance as well.  The times reflect how much of variance there is between first and last.

Norm H raced in this a few years back and he beat Jeremy R.  But was nowhere near the top 3.  He was way back and I talked to him about this.  He told me he could not keep up at all to the lightweight pros.  No chance at all.  That told me how flippin fast those light lean guys are.  Asked another sponsored top local racer and he concurred.  No chance at all to keep up.  Lean and mean is tops.
Fast is FUN!   8)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »
Yep. That's exactly what I'm doing with my custom UL DW board - ordering another that is a tweak in terms of width, thickness and rocker to achieve the perfect board for me and my conditions.

which direction you going?

remind us of the current dimensions. Is it fast on flat?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »
Can see your dilemma Bryce.  You want a narrower board but more volume to handle your 94 kg big unit weight.  That makes sense as generally narrower boards have less drag.  But sounds like the custom option is not available with Naish if you plan to stick again with them next year.  That was why a supuk custom option was thrown in.  A custom would give you exactly what you want.  But thought at one point you were also racing SB - so put in the AS option as well.  The 14x24.5 should be able to float you easily.  But you did say the 12'6 was kinda tippy for you.

Robby said the 26 felt kinda like riding a 28 and was very stable etc -> and you need not be 140 lbs to be competitive using that Maliko.  Is the 24 too tippy or way low volume for you?  Max weight was indicated at 200 lbs.

In your non-elite class what are others racing on that are placing ahead of you?  Would have thought that most are racing on 25 wide boards or less.

I'd agree with Robbie. I'm not sure if its due to the nose area design up front but the 26 really does feel like a 28. Its an incredibly strong and stable base - it's probably why I found the AS 24.5 a bit tippy as I'd just finished a race on my own board and then hopped on a friends out of curiosity. I personally think the 24 would be an ideal all racing one quiver board for many (and I would have gone for it) but its purely that the volume was clearly set for guys 20kg less than me and your analysis of my situation when shopping for boards is spot on.

It's funny you mention what my competition are using as most are using 24 or 25's (some are moving back to 25 or 26). Then will be some major migration to the 23 SB sprint this upcoming season too from their UK team paddlers. However, I'm both taller and heavier than pretty much anyone else racing over here by a fair margin. Fashions come and go so it will be interesting to see where 2018 boards go. For what its worth, if I stopped racing today, I'd keep what I have as an everyday board. It's so forgiving to use in such a broad range of conditions and I really think it has been well thought out as a design.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2017, 01:21:43 PM »
"I personally think the 24 would be an ideal all racing one quiver board for many (and I would have gone for it) but its purely that the volume was clearly set for guys 20kg less than me and your analysis of my situation when shopping for boards is spot on."

Yeah - that little M24 looks to be the perfect vol for both my wife and I.  As lightweight riders - we pretty much find any board we hop on works fine.  As noted when I put a 40 lb kid on my Dom - I could barely paddle that board.  The drag increase was massive vs what I was used to.

The AS does have a little tip -> so makes sense the flatter M26 sits more stable for you.  A lot of peeps say that board tips.  Hopefully things will work out for you better in 2018.  :)
Fast is FUN!   8)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2017, 02:06:57 PM »
"I personally think the 24 would be an ideal all racing one quiver board for many (and I would have gone for it) but its purely that the volume was clearly set for guys 20kg less than me and your analysis of my situation when shopping for boards is spot on."

Yeah - that little M24 looks to be the perfect vol for both my wife and I.  As lightweight riders - we pretty much find any board we hop on works fine.  As noted when I put a 40 lb kid on my Dom - I could barely paddle that board.  The drag increase was massive vs what I was used to.

The AS does have a little tip -> so makes sense the flatter M26 sits more stable for you.  A lot of peeps say that board tips.  Hopefully things will work out for you better in 2018.  :)

I think it will work out pretty well this year. I'll get my answer to that when the big races start here in a months time.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2017, 02:39:08 PM »

I'd agree with Robbie. I'm not sure if its due to the nose area design up front but the 26 really does feel like a 28. Its an incredibly strong and stable base - it's probably why I found the AS 24.5 a bit tippy
[/quote]

Wide nose wide tail and low centre of gravity plus rocker = increased stability but sacrifices flat water speed

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2017, 02:58:36 PM »
Wide nose wide tail and low centre of gravity plus rocker = increased stability but sacrifices flat water speed

Life is hard for the SUPers. We always have to sacrifice something.......
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2017, 12:08:57 AM »

I'd agree with Robbie. I'm not sure if its due to the nose area design up front but the 26 really does feel like a 28. Its an incredibly strong and stable base - it's probably why I found the AS 24.5 a bit tippy

[/quote]

I don't think the tail is that wide. I do find that the paddlers standing position window is smaller than, say an Allstar (and that's probably due to lower volumes at the tail) but if you keep your feet positioned around the carry handle the release is incredibly clean. Mind you, this is a fault I've seen with several other boards with sharp or piecing noses (in that the entry is clean but the release less so). Hydrodynamically speaking, it's better to have a messier entry and clean release than the other way around. I believe this is why so many paddlers are getting on quite well with boof noses when they think the board shouldn't when they see loads of whisker spray up front.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2017, 10:10:58 AM »
There is defiantly a few things I think that could be improved on fairly easily however it felt a lot better than some of the mega volumes boards I have paddled recently. Some one get me the cad files and let me have a tweak around.

most of the changes I would personally make are near or above the waterline so shouldn't effect flat water speed, just mainly improve handling and improve average speed as a result of that

What sort of things would you tweak near or above the waterline?  And have you ever paddled the Maliko 14x24?  Had the impression Casper and Kai did ok on the Maliko.
Fast is FUN!   8)

FloridaWindSUP

• Sunset Status
  • Marine Biologist, Riviera Paddlesurf Ambassador
    • View Profile
    • James' Blog
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2017, 11:01:03 AM »
I had a chance to demo the 12'6x24.5 AllStar yesterday after a local race.

It felt stable and efficient for a 12'6, and had an interesting way of keeping its nose level in the water even as the aft section of the board porpoised with each paddle stroke, helping to maintain a consistent waterline and a steady pace. Whiskers of water definitely whizz off the little tiki icons on the orange tip of the bow, almost as if the icons were intentionally placed there to be little peeing fountains. Only when doing a really hard sprint would the nose (and the rest of the board) rise up and the whiskers move back further.

We talk about the SB AllStar noses being "boof" because they're voluminous above the waterline, but I think the part that actually contacts the water is closer to traditional cutting-bow displacement designs. Especially when compared to boards like the Fanatic Falcons that have more nose rocker and less vee at the entry, and have less waterline in flatwater.

There were two brand new custom 14x23 Hovie boards at the race that demonstrated extreme ends of the flatwater vs. allwater nose designs. I have some pics and impressions in my blog report on the race.

http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2017/03/sup-race-report-cgt-winter-series-race-6.html
14x23 Riviera RP
14x27.25 Fanatic Falcon
11'8 Exocet WindSUP
10'4 Angulo WindSUP
...and a bunch of windsurf stuff

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal