Author Topic: A little speed testing SB AllStar 14x23 and other boards  (Read 44312 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A little speed testing SB AllStar 14x23 and other boards
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2017, 02:58:59 PM »
ukgm - 9.5kph seems very good to me for a planing nose board. For how long are you able to maintain those kind of speeds?

Until the afterburners burn out :-)

In the recent technical race I did on flatwater, I could hold 9.3 comfortably. I didn't push to hold 9.5 for longer than a minute or two as the situation didn't warrant it. However, I could sense it wasn't sustainable for me for long. I have only had my race board just over a month so I need more racing miles on it to get the best out of it.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 03:04:48 PM by ukgm »

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »
on flatwater, I could hold 9.3 comfortably.

Sigh!!!!! One could only hope, I could never do that without a serious current behind me.
Your cruising race speed is about my top speed for a sprint, live can be unfair :-)
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
Yeah averaging 5.8 mph on a board like that is excellent. You'd be into the 6s on the Jav I'd have thought.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2017, 05:46:59 PM »
Wow. Rocketmen. Am able to maxout on my 12'6" Starby Race at 5.8 mph for about 30 seconds. And then my HR alarm goes off.. ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:19 PM »
on flatwater, I could hold 9.3 comfortably.

Sigh!!!!! One could only hope, I could never do that without a serious current behind me.
Your cruising race speed is about my top speed for a sprint, live can be unfair :-)

That was for a 45 minute race. It's bound to be less for one of the typical English distance races of around 80 minutes. Reality will kick in then and I can't paddle a narrow board like you guys. I'm hoping to average 9.1-9.2 in these. Our fastest guys in this country will be 0.3-0.5 faster than that.

As a comparison, I was racing the 12'6 30 inch wide Naish one inflatable class last year and typically raced distance races at around 8.7kph for an hour.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 12:30:36 AM by ukgm »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2017, 01:11:29 AM »
5.4mph average for an hour on a 12-6x30 bag of wind? You are doing very well indeed. Bravo.

By the way, real men measure their speeds in mph not kph. I'll bet you don't use kph when you are driving. Everyone knows that people just use kph to make it sound like they are going faster than they actually are ;)

I'll bet that you find that the Naish Jav is on average around 0.2mph faster over an hour in flat water than the Maliko. That seems to be about the speed advantage that a displacement nose gives in my experience. Maybe 0.3 if the board really trims well for you. But of course if your principal strategy is just to draft someone faster then I guess a planing nose board could make sense. The inverted noses like on the 2017 Jav can be devastatingly fast upwind in small chop. If you have a Jav and aren't using it because there's a puff of wind near you, you should give it to
me for testing ;) I want to try one but I don't really want to spend a whole day driving to a race and then hanging around waiting to do so. Races depress me. The last time I did a big one I won my class but came home so completely demotivated that I felt like giving up SUP altogether. So I'd rather demo in another environment if possible.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2017, 04:30:18 AM »
You guys are really fast  :o.
My fastest average speed was 8.6 kph for 8 km.
My fastest average at my home course was 8.4 kph. This course (Danube river) is 1km harvor, 4 km upstream, 4 km downstream and 1 km harbor.
All of this with the Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder last summer.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2017, 05:40:43 AM »
5.4mph average for an hour on a 12-6x30 bag of wind? You are doing very well indeed. Bravo.

By the way, real men measure their speeds in mph not kph. I'll bet you don't use kph when you are driving. Everyone knows that people just use kph to make it sound like they are going faster than they actually are ;)

LOL ! It's just the journal paper pre-programming I have about having to use correct SI units all the time !

Power isn't something I'm lacking. My technical skills need major work and sadly, being 94kg isn't ideal in this sport...

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2017, 07:47:17 AM »

LOL ! It's just the journal paper pre-programming I have about having to use correct SI units all the time !

No excuses! SUP, as a surf-based sport, uses imperial units. We measure our boards in feet and inches, and our waves, and wind in mph or knots. So there is no excuse for using the wrong units when it suddenly comes to talking about your paddling speed. You've been busted! You are big enough and fast enough to use grown-up units, rather than pretending you are French to seem faster ;)

Using kph is plain unpatriotic and well as confusing for most people :) :) :)

Luc Benac

• Teahupoo Status
  • Super Natural British Columbia
    • View Profile
    • When not paddling...
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2017, 08:00:06 AM »
rather than pretending you are French to seem faster ;)Using kph is plain unpatriotic and well as confusing for most people :) :) :)

Or Canadian.....we still have the Queen for now but metric/decimal is the official measuring system....
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:05:03 AM by Luc Benac »
Sunova Allwater 14'x25.5" 303L Viento 520
Sunova Torpedo 14'x27" 286L Salish 500
Naish Nalu 11'4" x 30" 180L Andaman 520
Sunova Steeze 10' x 31" 150L
Blackfish Paddles

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2017, 08:13:38 AM »

No excuses! SUP, as a surf-based sport, uses imperial units. We measure our boards in feet and inches, and our waves, and wind in mph or knots. So there is no excuse for using the wrong units when it suddenly comes to talking about your paddling speed. You've been busted! You are big enough and fast enough to use grown-up units, rather than pretending you are French to seem faster ;)

Using kph is plain unpatriotic and well as confusing for most people :) :) :)

I purely measure my performance based upon how many boards were in front of me, how many were behind, how stupid did I look and how many times did I fall in.......

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2017, 08:16:24 AM »
I'll bet that you find that the Naish Jav is on average around 0.2mph faster over an hour in flat water than the Maliko. That seems to be about the speed advantage that a displacement nose gives in my experience.

I'd agree with this. Plus since I doubt (at my size and ability) that I'll ever be racing anything south of 25 inches, that's the limit I'll see.

It might seem a bit odd why I'm using the board I am for flatter races but its mainly based on the nature (and my needs) to deal with crowded starts of 200 paddlers this year in my biggest races. I felt it was a stronger bet. There are other reasons too but I'll cover those another time.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2017, 09:43:16 AM »
Well, one reason is probably that the Jav 14x26 is only 251L., and that's the biggest one they do. The Maliko 14x26 is 261L and that's already a bit marginal for a powerful unit like you.

26" is a very comfortable width I think for the broader-shouldered semi-serious racer. So Naish got that right IMO. (As they did having a DJ-size Maliko at 28" wide.) But 26" wide does need to be accompanied by enough volume that the waterline doesn't get too out of kilter with the pitch and yaw of carrying a bigger powerful unit. Much like if you put a bigger engine in a car you need to beef up the suspension at the same time to cope with it. I suspect that if a guy of your build really put the power down on the Jav you'd either submarine that reverse bow or else sink the rear. I'm 10kg lighter than you but I'd still wonder about 251L: My 14x23 Sidewinder is 253L and it is a little too low volume for me I think. I wish Naish would make some raceboards for Chuck Patterson rather than just Kai and Caspar ;)

But I guess they must know their market. But I  suspect next year though we'll see a little increase in the Naish race board volumes and rail thicknesses.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2017, 09:45:47 AM »
rather than pretending you are French to seem faster ;)Using kph is plain unpatriotic and well as confusing for most people :) :) :)

Or Canadian.....we still have the Queen for now but metric/decimal is the official measuring system....
Yeah, but pretending to be Canadian would be understandable, whereas an Englishman pretending to be French would be unforgivable. :) :) :)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2017, 10:42:46 AM »

Yeah, but pretending to be Canadian would be understandable, whereas an Englishman pretending to be French would be unforgivable. :) :) :)
I accused an Englishman of pretending to be French, and he said, "Moi?"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal