Author Topic: The South Lamma Highway Downwind Run with Robert Stehlik - vid  (Read 4300 times)

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
The South Lamma Highway Downwind Run with Robert Stehlik - vid
« on: February 06, 2017, 06:58:54 AM »
I've finally managed to put this video together having been away for a while. When Robert was in Hong Kong, we did not get good downwind conditions until his last full day, and so we headed out to our best run, the "South Lamma Highway" which is approximately 3.75 miles / 6kms off the South Coast of Hong Kong and has good Easterly ground swell as well as wind swell. The wind on this day had a bit of north in it so the ground swell did not exactly line up with the wind swell but it was a fun sunny day.

We actually did 2 runs, where I wore the 3rd Person Sail Systems Mount for the beginning of the first run, and then Robert wore it on the 2nd 1/2 and the 2nd run. So Robert is always paddling the 2017 Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 x 27, while I am on the Polka Dot SICMaui F16v3 and the footage includes shots from Robert's head-cam. We try to stay friendly with the Marine Police here, and so wearing bright coloured tops and PFD's are one of the things we do here (although not law) as technically we are paddling in a ship anchorage where ships are constantly moving around.

What you will notice here is the difference between an experienced and very fit downwind paddler (Robert), and an older, less fit, but high enthusiastic paddler (me). ;)

https://youtu.be/7Z8bCOZSP2U

Music: Echo Children by Death Ships
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: The South Lamma Highway Downwind Run with Robert Stehlik - vid
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 11:05:43 AM »
An excellent video.

BTW, you looked pretty fit to me. Just hit the gym a little more and I think you can give Robert "a run for his money".  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
Nice..  :)

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:41:24 AM »
Quite interesting to see the different rider perspectives.  Good vid guys.   :)
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

JEG

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »
Nice

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
Thank you for the great experience and a nice video Off-Shore, that was a lot of fun.
You are a good downwind paddler and I think you would do well here in Hawaii, hopefully you can make it out here for one of the good Hawaii downwind races one of these days.

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 09:59:21 PM »
Good stuff guys and nice video off-shore 8) Keep them coming.
in progress...

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 11:21:54 PM »

BTW, you looked pretty fit to me. Just hit the gym a little more and I think you can give Robert "a run for his money".  ;)

Night Wing. Glad you enjoyed the vid. It is interesting to be able to see a good paddler up close in the video, and that has inspired me to get fitter. I have prided myself in giving up the gym completely for 3 years now in favor of SUP 2-4 times a week, but clearly to paddle at Robert's level I need to get some cross-training in, particularly leg work, so that is my goal this year.

Quite interesting to see the different rider perspectives.  Good vid guys.   :)

Agreed Eagle. I am going to try and persuade some of my other downwind buddies who are better than me to wear the 3rd person mount and see how they compare. What is clear with Robert is he has immaculate timing, balance and can turn on the cadence effortlessly.

Nice..  :)

DJ, glad you liked it. Would be great to see some other paddlers paddling your board with your rig on it! Not that I don't appreciate your grace and technical ability, but just so we can see how good you are in comparison!  ;)

Thank you for the great experience and a nice video Off-Shore, that was a lot of fun.
You are a good downwind paddler and I think you would do well here in Hawaii, hopefully you can make it out here for one of the good Hawaii downwind races one of these days.

Robert, the pleasure is all mine. I relish the opportunity to paddle with likeminded people wherever I am in the world, or when they are passing through Hong Kong. Burchas and I are plotting to try and get to Hawaii for some downwinding, so one way or another I will see you there. It is just a shame you weren't here this weekend as the conditions have been epic for 3 days in a row.  8)
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 11:28:11 PM »
Thanks Burchas. Here is another vid showing Robert on the same run, but before the wind picked up, filmed by me from the boat. This gives a better overall view of the start of the run.. Hong Kong Island is way off in the distance.

https://youtu.be/AWTZ2oREPOE

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 04:17:44 AM »
@Off-Shore

I really like this second video. Nice of you to film it showing a broadside view. Since I'm detail oriented, this video show the rocker of his Bump Rider, his feet are side by side, the bend of his legs, his paddle stroke, but what really caught my attention, the outer edge of both of his feet are situated on the edge of the pad next to the rails. Probably has to do with his board being 27" in width. This is why I want to go narrower in width on my next sup.

Thanks for filming this second video and sharing it.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 04:34:19 AM »
I'm not sure it should be your goal to have your feet at the outer edges of the deck. It might exaggerate the effect of any inadvertent weight transfers. I've always regarded my own tendency to regularly have my little toes hanging off the deck pad when downwinding (on anything narrower than about 26" wide) as a sign of the weakness of my technique rather than a strength, and I am trying to correct it.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:09:11 AM »
I'm not sure it should be your goal to have your feet at the outer edges of the deck. It might exaggerate the effect of any inadvertent weight transfers. I've always regarded my own tendency to regularly have my little toes hanging off the deck pad when downwinding (on anything narrower than about 26" wide) as a sign of the weakness of my technique rather than a strength, and I am trying to correct it.

This run is very tricky because the ground swell bashes into the south side of Lamma Island and refracts back over the run causing a lot of water movement from the right hand side. Once you pass the island, the effect of this backwash disappears and it gets more easy. When I look at my feet stance on this board (and yes...I'm still working on my surf stance), because the deck pad is narrow (approx 22" wide), it forces your feet inboard, and I tend to have my toes near or touching the edge but my heels closer together. I guess this gives more sideways stability (as in the 2nd picture),

When the board glides, (as in 1st picture) then it seems my toes move inboard (to staggered stance) where my feet are more parallel... yes... need to work on that surf stance, which I can't seem to do on this run..

Robert's left foot when in staggered parallel stance is at the edge of the mat and parallel to the edge... (see pic 3)... so not sure if trying to keep them inboard of the mat edges is something I should be doing or not...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:38:51 AM by Off-Shore »

supnorte

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP Norte
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 06:32:39 AM »
Nice one. If i'll ever be in HKK I'll ring you up.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 06:46:28 AM »
Nice one. If i'll ever be in HKK I'll ring you up.
Supnorte.. Sure.. just PM me if you are in town.. One of these days, I'll get to Portugal, as you seem to have some great winds there!

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 06:53:58 AM »
Thanks Burchas. Here is another vid showing Robert on the same run, but before the wind picked up, filmed by me from the boat. This gives a better overall view of the start of the run.. Hong Kong Island is way off in the distance.

https://youtu.be/AWTZ2oREPOE

Thx off-shore, this is very helpful to see someone as experienced as Robert
dealing with bumps with no signifiant wind push.

Seeing him catching glides with such an economic stroke style and good
timing had me rethinking my brute force attack on those baby bumps.

June is not far off and downwind month will be upon us before you know it.
It might be time to ink some dates once I'm back from CR.
in progress...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal