Author Topic: New addition on the way ... Lazy Boy SUP  (Read 8794 times)

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
New addition on the way ... Lazy Boy SUP
« on: February 02, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »
The Lazy Boy SUP combines the outline and rocker from Lost's Lazy Boy with the bottom contours of the best selling Lost Puddle Jumper.  The result is a low rocker small wave SUP design that can also handle larger waves.

Lazy Boy SUP: 6'6" x 26.77" x 3.96" x 82L 
1.5# EPS Marko Foam Blank

Because of the narrow hipped, continuous curve, outline, you can surf this with a centered stance for down the line 70’s inspired speed runs, down carves and cutbacks... or step back on the tail and go vertical off the bottom and in the pocket. The bottom contours consist of a rolled vee in the nose transitioning to subtle single concave through the center to spiral vee under the rear foot.  These contours free the board up, making it easy to push the pinched rail deep and perpendicular into the face of the wave, rather than skate flat on top of the water.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:52:42 PM by anonsurfer »
Home Break: Doheny
Tic Tac v3 (Hoglet): 6' 6" x 23" x 3.6" x 67L
Omni: 6' 9" x 23" x 3.75" x 68L
Tic Tac (OG): 7' 0" x 22.75" x 3.5" x 70L
In The Pink (Incoming): 8' 0" x 22.9" x 3.25" x 70L

Blackproject Surge S77 (Soft Flex Shaft, T-Grip, +0" OH)

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: New addition on the way ... Lazy Boy SUP
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »
Nice looking everyday groveler.  course I'd have to blow it up bein more in the clydesdale class.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 09:49:46 PM »
That's an interesting shape there. I have to ask, do you find paddling those sub 8' boards fun or are you mostly riding them for the surfing performance?

I ask because I don't have as much fun these days on my 7'4" board unless it's really smooth. It's not the side to side it's the nose to tail pitching that I find hard to deal with.

I'm wondering if I'm just cranky but I'm stuck with not loving paddling my short SUP and my 9' production SUP feels like a boat. I've been (perish the thought!) surfing more lately than paddle surfing.

Do you know or feel theoretically/aft pitching I'm talking about? And do these recent small boards have that? I suspect I should just suck it up and work on my paddling but I'm curious, you seem to be digging these smaller boards and I really want to myself.

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 10:57:45 PM »
looks fun! may have to try one when I get back home to my cnc!

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 03:25:26 AM »
That's an interesting shape there. I have to ask, do you find paddling those sub 8' boards fun or are you mostly riding them for the surfing performance?

I ask because I don't have as much fun these days on my 7'4" board unless it's really smooth. It's not the side to side it's the nose to tail pitching that I find hard to deal with.

I'm wondering if I'm just cranky but I'm stuck with not loving paddling my short SUP and my 9' production SUP feels like a boat. I've been (perish the thought!) surfing more lately than paddle surfing.

Do you know or feel theoretically/aft pitching I'm talking about? And do these recent small boards have that? I suspect I should just suck it up and work on my paddling but I'm curious, you seem to be digging these smaller boards and I really want to myself.

I tired all different lengths and settled on 7'8 as the magic shortboard SUP length.

Over 7'8 they get slower, under, they loose range and ease of use.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 05:22:23 AM »
Nice looking everyday groveler.  course I'd have to blow it up bein more in the clydesdale class.

Thanks, I think this shape could be blown up with very good results.  The wide point is at center with a clean, elliptical "double ender" outline and subtly pulled in tail.   

7'6" x 29" x 4-1/8" would be 108L
8'6" x 30" x 4-1/4" would be 130L

My primary use will be as you guessed, a performance groveler but I expect it to perform well in larger waves as well as long as they are not too hollow.   

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 07:13:13 AM »

Yes, I find small boards fun.  Maximizing the fun factor is goal #1 since I don't get paid to surf :-)  I think it will stop being fun when I can no longer remain balanced on a board while standing in the line up.     

I understand what you are referring to with the pitching you describe.  This tends to happen on boards with a small "sweet spot".  Increasing width and thickness in the front third of the board will help in this regard.   

If you want to go smaller I'd recommend a board like my Hypto Krypto SUP.  Wide point is forward with more width and foam (thickness) in the nose area but the rear end has a pulled in rounded pin tail for performance.   I am amazed by how stable this board is for how small it is.     
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:18:23 AM by anonsurfer »

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »

I tired all different lengths and settled on 7'8 as the magic shortboard SUP length.

Over 7'8 they get slower, under, they loose range and ease of use.

For me that is the fun part of our hobby:  the search for that "magic" combination of outline, length, width, thickness and rocker that best suits the waves you ride and the type of surfing you want to do.

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »
Your deck rocker has a major whoop-dee-doo in it.  Smooth that curve out!   Otherwise, rad board.  8)

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 05:09:06 PM »
Your deck rocker has a major whoop-dee-doo in it.  Smooth that curve out!   Otherwise, rad board.  8)

Not sure what you are referring to, please clarify.  It is pretty much the same deck rocker I have on all my boards.   I picked up the CNC'd blank today.  It looks sweet. 

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 07:26:02 PM »
Now how is it you are calling this board a "Lazy Boy?"  At the miniscule dimensions of 6'6" x 26.77" x 3.96" x 82L, you would have to be anything but lazy to ride it.  Seems like a workout riding that board to me.  My 7'4 is a lot of work for me to ride, I can't imagine one as small as yours.  You must be a balance stud.   
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 09:33:05 PM »
Now how is it you are calling this board a "Lazy Boy?"  At the miniscule dimensions of 6'6" x 26.77" x 3.96" x 82L, you would have to be anything but lazy to ride it.  Seems like a workout riding that board to me. 
Ha, yes I guess it is a little ironic.  It has the same outline and rocker as Lost's Lazy Boy so I kept the name.   

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 05:46:05 AM »
If you're happy with it then that's all that counts!  I see a bump in the deck profile view in your drawing.  Or is that by design?

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 06:01:49 AM by madeinsantacruz »

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2017, 06:01:09 AM »
Do you ever use the curvature analysis tool in Shape3d?  Under "Display", "Curvature Always".  This is a tool to see how smooth your curves are.  I try to get a result like this on the deck.  You can see the red line showing acceleration in curvature in the nose and tail but no wiggles otherwise.  I'd be interested in seeing the curvature on your Lazy Boy deck.  Hope this makes sense.

anonsurfer

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
If you're happy with it then that's all that counts!  I see a bump in the deck profile view in your drawing.  Or is that by design?

You have a good eye but it isn't a "bump" and it is by design.   

The deck rocker is actually flat from 12" from tail to 12" to nose.  What you are noticing is that it isn't dead level.  It is slightly angled (by approx 0.5 degrees).  This allows me to "sneak" an extra 1-2L of foam around the mid/forward section of the board.  This helps with stability and paddling on a small SUP.   It also removes a little foam from the rear of the board which helps with responsiveness and ability to bury the rail.   

The following image helps illustrate:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal