Author Topic: Surf SUP recs for beginning surfer  (Read 5235 times)

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Surf SUP recs for beginning surfer
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:16:14 AM »

Yep, another one of these! I've got a 12'6" naish one inflatable that I've had for years that I bought while I was living in Seattle. It's still fun but not really the right board now that I've been living in LA for a while. I've been learning to prone surf which is fun but I know just by watching that sup surfing is way more fun!  I'm 5'7" about 130 and a woman if the name doesn't give it away. I've been spending most of my surf time either at Malibu third point or at Mondos in Ventura county which looks really sup friendly.  To start I think I'm mostly looking for stability but not super heavy and something that I can actually turn! My budget isn't huge so I'm hoping to buy used but any help on what to look for would be most appreciated.
~*Ginger*~

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surf SUP recs for beginning surfer
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
Hello, there are tons of great deals on Craigslist for used boards. For your size, I would recommend something in the mid 9 ft range. Maybe a 9'6 or 9'4 and around 29 inches wide. Lot's of options in that range, but try to find something light that is a sup surf orientated board not an all around type board. Also check he classifieds on here as there are always great boards at good prices.
Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »
At your size...http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30957.0.html will/would have been my suggestion.  I don't know if it's still available, but that's a sweet board for a great deal.

supthecreek

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:54:19 PM »
Hi GingerR
It would help greatly to know:
What prone board you ride
skill level
What level paddler

The 12'6 is a big board, so I am guessing you don't want to go too short?

Length & width are just numbers.... it's matching the right one's for you that will make it most enjoyable.
I am a fan of being comfortable on your learning SUP.... I believe you are happier and progress faster.

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 04:43:52 PM »
Hello, there are tons of great deals on Craigslist for used boards. For your size, I would recommend something in the mid 9 ft range. Maybe a 9'6 or 9'4 and around 29 inches wide. Lot's of options in that range, but try to find something light that is a sup surf orientated board not an all around type board. Also check he classifieds on here as there are always great boards at good prices.

I'd agree! Sounds a lot like the 9'6" Paddle Surf Hawaii "All Arounder" I bought off Craigslist last night for $700! Pristine! I love PSH boards so much. Its a discontinued board though, but still shows up on Craigslist. I weigh almost 100 pounds more than you at 210#, so it might be too much board for you, I don't know. The person I bought it from wasn't much bigger than you though.

Its really nice to have a range of boards. Something that pushes your limits for glassy clean days, then something that's a big step up in stability for when there's some chop. Then a big fun lazy easy board. Typically people buy the big fun easy board first, so I'd over shoot it, and don't try too hard to get a one board quiver, since (if I'm reading the situation correctly) you're going to outgrow the board quickly anyway.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:55:46 PM »
I'm a light weight like you.  Actually, compared to 130 lbs, I'm a monster at 145 (also 5'7).  Boards work differently for us lightweights. 

We simply need less volume to float us. At our weight boards quickly become barges.  At 130 lbs, if you are a beginner, I'd suggest something in the 100-120 L range.  If you have surfing experience or are a quick learner at this sort of thing or are pretty used to being out in the waves, you might want to think about 85-95 L.  These numbers may sound low, but here are some numbers for reference:

100-120 L @ 130 lbs = 153-185 L @ 200 lbs
85-95 @ 130 lbs = 130-146 L @ 200 lbs

As for width (a big factor when thinking stability), 30" is plenty for your size for most shapes.  Bigger guys might go 32" for stability, but for you, 30" is quite a lot.  You may even find yourself wanting to move down to 28 sooner than you think.

If you are looking for glide, anything 8'6-9'6 would probably do for you size.  If you want more of a turning shortboard-like experience, 7'6-8'2 would probably fit the bill.

I agree with SlatchJim that this zone post could be right in your wheelhouse (and such a good deal if still around...and the offer to demo...can't beat that):

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,30957.0.html (8'2 x 30.5, 118 L)  ...he also might still have a 7'10 x 30, 113 L 

Oh, and I can't oversell how nice it is to have a light weight board for light weight riders.  They are sooo much easier to handle out there.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:10:01 PM by surfafrica »
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 09:17:49 PM »
Hi GingerR
It would help greatly to know:
What prone board you ride
skill level
What level paddler

The 12'6 is a big board, so I am guessing you don't want to go too short?

Length & width are just numbers.... it's matching the right one's for you that will make it most enjoyable.
I am a fan of being comfortable on your learning SUP.... I believe you are happier and progress faster.

I'd say I'm an intermediate paddler. My giant board had a lot of fun in Puget Sound and out on the Olympic peninsula and I've 'surfed' my friend's 10'6" Bic a few times in smaller waves and done ok. I'm still rocking a Wavestorm for proning since I've only been at it 6 months or so....that's another board I could stand to upgrade at some point!  I don't think I want to go too short off the bat but don't want to go too big either.
~*Ginger*~

eDUBz

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 10:54:00 PM »
Yeah Mondos is very SUP friendly i pretty much know a lot of them out there. PM sent
@rf.boardworks

supthecreek

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 07:32:21 AM »
Hi Ginger
Thanks for the info... here is a great board to fit your needs - 9'5 Sunova "The ONE"
Last year, this shape was called the 9'5 SURF.

This year it was given it a beautiful wood sandwich, made it lighter and changed the name to "the ONE"... as in: the one board for all your needs.
The very affordable ECO version (in the video) weighs only 21.8 lbs and is very durable.
Upgrade to the XXX construction and it gets even lighter.

When I 1st saw this design, I thought... "this is a perfect board for a LOT of women that I teach"
While many on here will say "THAT'S WAY TOO BIG FOR YOU, GingerRawrrgers!!!!"... I think it may be perfect.

True I weigh 100 lbs more than you.... but a smaller person will find this board to suit them just as well.
I have always ridden bigger and smaller boards.... good board are good boards.
I think you will appreciate how this board will ease your transition into the surf zone.

Women, of all sizes, that I teach, say "I just want something manageable"
When they pick up this board, they are super stoked. (pics)
It paddles well and is light and easy to throw on.... or IN the car.

"The ONE" surfs amazingly well... very friendly, but very capable as well, in a large range of waves, for people of all sizes.

Below is my video review of the board is a different "Flat-water paddle conversation" with surf videos salted throughout because I wanted to show it's versatility.

Pics are of the women and girls that I teach, when they 1st pick up last years version... white... (new wood "the ONE" is even lighter) They loved the way it paddles.

I am giving a detailed answer, because I believe this board suits a LOT of people, for many different reasons.
This is a superb board for only $1,159

My video is a long one, but a good look at this board. I hope you find it helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n39Hh2_64o

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 08:07:48 AM »
Okay, I'll say it, that's a mighty big board for a 130 pound woman.  Also doesn't exactly fit the cheap criteria. I met a gal last year that was ripping on a 7 foot kids wavestorm SUP. I think it's called something like a Taquito. Probably too small but the 8' kids wavestorm SUP is pretty popular, bulletproof, costs something like $120 and is ridiculously light. I don't think it could weigh more than 15 pounds.

You'd move past it fairly soon (maybe) but for getting started, it's cheap, cheerful, and the right size. A bit narrow--about 26" I'd guess, but I can stand up on it and paddle, and I'm a 235-pound geezer with crap balance. You can probably almost stand on your longboard if you have the 8' X 22" one.

I think wavestorms in general are silly fun. I've bought and paid forward three of the longboards on various surf trips. Just gave them to a grom (after asking their folks) when I was done with it. Cheaper than dinner for two.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 08:12:23 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 10:16:52 AM »
While many on here will say "THAT'S WAY TOO BIG FOR YOU, GingerRawrrgers!!!!"... I think it may be perfect.

That would be me.  Creek, her on a 160 L board would be equivalent to someone 220 lbs on a 270 L board!  Too much foam in my opinion. It becomes corky, and hard to handle on a wave, in the impact zone and out in the lineup.

"The One" starts at 9'5 x 32, 160 L.  At 130 lbs, that would be a TANK.  If you are looking for a flat water cruiser, maybe.  Or if you are brand new to surf or stand up and are going to be aiming for ankle to knee high waves to get started, maybe.  But if waves are your game, and you have a bit of experience (even just a bit) that board would be a barge. 

My wife is 135 lbs.  She went out on a 9'6 x 32, 165 L board and it was just too much for her--she struggled.  She way preferred one that was 8'6 x 30, 118 L (and she is a complete newbie). 

Creek can speak more to the models, but size-wise, if I had to pick a Sunova for you, I'd recommend something like the 8'6 x 30, 121 L Soul....maybe even the 8'3 x 29, 110 L Soul. Or maybe a Speeed in 8′8 x 28 1/2, 123 L or the 8′5 x 27 3/4, 112 L.  Or if you like longboard style, the 9′6 x 27 1/2, 112 L Style.
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

supthecreek

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
Some pictures of a girl learning to prone surf on last years 9'5

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 12:22:43 AM »
It's such a shame that Sunova use the LiftSUP handles. I find them really uncomfortable and difficult to use. I guess that maybe if you are just pootling around a creek, with not far to walk, they might be OK. But once you head into tricky conditions in the sea I've found them positively dangerous.

GingerRawrrgers

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »

Thanks everyone, I feel like I at least have a place to start! I really need to just go demo a few and see what happens. I think the thing I worry about most is losing control of a bigger board and launching it at someone. :P That's been the nice thing about the inflatable all these years (besides storage before I had garage space)  is that I could bounce off it, or bounce it off rocks in places like Deception Pass and nothing happened!
~*Ginger*~

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 12:44:48 PM »
Late entry. As a 5'8" 150 pound antique
with years of surfing experience; I received a lot of well intentioned advice.

Short, narrow, thin! Didn't work at all. Once I was on boards that were too wide and too long I figured it out.

My suggestion would be to look at boards in the 9' to 10' range, that are not too thick, and at least 30.5" wide. As far as volume 125 to 140 liters would be a good range to learn on.

Borrow, or even rent. Used is the best in the beginning as you won't take a beating financially either on purchase or resale.

Boards that I loved to learn on. Hobie 9'6", Focus 9' smoothie, Angulo 9' surfa, and a 9'4 Rawson.

Best of luck in your search. A good friend of mine learned on a Naish inflatable and bought a Naish 9'5" which she paddles and surfs on still..

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:46:27 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal