Author Topic: RIP Surfing Magazine  (Read 4008 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
RIP Surfing Magazine
« on: January 31, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »
This went down a few days ago...obviously, had been on life support for awhile before that...
I personally haven't had a subscription in years... must have gotten a free subscription somewhere along the way...between online competition, lack of interesting personalities, juvenile articles...etc...the proverbial writing was on the wall...

Regardless, out of curiosity I pulled out one of my crates full of old mags...stoked to see these in pretty decent shape after more than 40 years...some fun and interesting stuff in there...quite a different perspective between looking at them from a stoked grom's viewpoint back in the day to where I'm at now designing, building, and retailing SUP surfing gear at a shop near the beach in Santa Barbara...;-)

RIP Surfing Magazine (1964-2017)
Matt Warshaw weighs in on the end of an era...
By Dashel Pierson

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/matt-warshaw-weighs-in-on-the-end-of-an-era-rip-surfing-magazine-1964-2017_144865/
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Surfing Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 02:15:34 PM »
The digital age is here. In my opinion, printed magazines are going to go the way of the dinosaur. In other words, become extinct.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
yes I am afraid I agree. but this was a good magazine.  Years ago I had a full size   wall painting of that old 2 tone  print in blue and white that showed a surfer hitting the lip form the back of the wave. anyone else remember that?
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:36:44 AM »
The people (talent) behind the magazine are still out there.  It would be interesting to be able to see where and how they land as individuals and as a group.

On the other hand, I wonder what will happen to all those pre-paid subscriptions...

Dinosaurs indeed NW, but not the magazines as much as the people.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »
Very sad.  Truth is I haven’t really read Surfing magazine in a long time.  It was a huge part of my teens and at the time I liked it better than Surfer.  As I got older though I pretty much outgrew it as the magazine was very much focused on anyone under 23 and pretty much stayed that way throughout the course of its existence.  Granted that’s how most surf magazines were and still are (with the exception of longboard mags), but as the average age of surfers is quite a bit older than it was 20 or more years ago (even among shortboarders) and the surf industry hasn’t kept up with that, so what do you expect?  I think the digital age of part of the problem but disagree that it alone is the sole reason for Surfing’s demise.  Well that’s my opinion anyway.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 03:34:17 PM »
Kind of ironic that we now have (in America) only two surf mags (Surfer and Surfer's Journal) and three SUP mags (SUP The Mag, SUP Journal and Standup Paddle Mag).  Wonder how long that will last? 

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »
That's sad. I just sold my collection of Surfer and Surfing that went back to 1969 last year. Didn't get much for it either.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 02:09:49 PM »
That's too bad.  Interesting that nothing is mentioned on surfingmagazine.com except "subscriptions no longer available".  I guess they plan to continue in digital format?

Print is on the way out but interest in surfing also seems to be in somewhat of a decline, check out this comparison of surfing vs SUP in google trends.

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

samthompson

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »
What a bummer. They were a pioneer for a long time there. I guess they will need to adapt to new forms of media.  Hope they can pivot and keep providing great content digitally.
-Sam
Stand Up Paddle Board Guide
https://www.standuppaddleboard.guide

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 03:32:55 PM »
That's too bad.  Interesting that nothing is mentioned on surfingmagazine.com except "subscriptions no longer available".  I guess they plan to continue in digital format?

Print is on the way out but interest in surfing also seems to be in somewhat of a decline, check out this comparison of surfing vs SUP in google trends.

Like I mentioned above, it seems the average age is older than in the past, including shortboarders.  Is it because people are staying in the sport longer or because less kids taking it up?   

magentawave

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »

I have a poster on my office wall that's a cover from Surfer mag from right before the bubble burst in 2008. That issue had 374 pages and obviously most was advertising. The last time I loitered in a store looking at a Surfer mag I was thinking about how few pages it had now.
Pluto Platter: 7-10 x 29.25 x 4.25 x 114.5 liters

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 06:57:26 PM »
Betsy DeVos does not have an education degree, never has been an educator, never attended a public school, her children have gone to private schools and she supports taking funding from public schools and giving it to for-profit religious schools.

How does this make her qualified as an Education Secretary?
Her family has donated over 8 million dollars to the Republican party.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »
Betsy DeVos does not have an education degree, never has been an educator, never attended a public school, her children have gone to private schools and she supports taking funding from public schools and giving it to for-profit religious schools.

she got Amway money too. Now we can really see, beyond a few pictures or slides, or a diagram here or there that the lavish Amway lifestyle is really out there and you can do it too. I think hers is old money and she was already born on top of it tho.
Does she seem to have this......mothers little helper thing going on or is it just me? Could be anything.....
.....ohhhhhh.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 08:53:09 PM »

What does this have to do with Surfing magazine. Have you lost your marbles or just lost the thread?

Luca, calm down, and no, we're not going to buy Amway stuff from you. And having Amway money doesn't mean she was selling crap to her neighbors.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:57:49 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 08:56:51 PM »
Oops.

Lost marbles AND wrong thread. I guess it's all a shitshow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal