Author Topic: Inflatables - Red vs Bote?  (Read 10025 times)

Rip2632

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Inflatables - Red vs Bote?
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:01:56 AM »
Looking into a new inflatable this spring. I love the features of the Bote Drift, but don't know how it compares to my Red Allwater as far as stiffness and durability are concerned. I've had the Red for 3 years and have loved it, but want to be able to carry gear for fishing, crabbing, etc. The Drift seems to be the ticket for this, but I don't want to be disappointed in performance or build quality. Does anyone have any experience with both for comparison purposes?  I know they're not necessarily in the same category for use, but I'd just like to get an idea on general performance/durability comparisons.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Inflatables - Red vs Bote?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 06:41:57 AM »
I'm not sure what are you referring to when you stating performance.
Non of the mentioned designed for performance paddling if that's what
you mean, so you might as well leave that aside and probably focus on
features and durability.

Bote definitely seem to have the upper hand on features but If you're looking
for anything resembling paddling performance with decent explorer capabilities,
the Red Explorer 13.2 would be something to look at IMO.

Construction on the new Reds is superb and this specific model features
the RSS system so it will be a good compromise.

You will push a lot of water either way. Maybe someone else can inform
on the Bote durability
in progress...

Rip2632

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 08:27:33 AM »
As far as performance is concerned, I am referring to tracking, and more importantly, how much it would flex with some weight on board. The Bote does have the option for a longer fin, unlike my red, so I'm guessing it would track better. As for the stiffness, I'd be interested in how the Bote would compare to the red with the rss system. I'm definitely not looking for a "performance" board here, but don't want to take a huge step down in stiffness and maneuverability.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »
1. The Red Explorer 13’2 x30 suggested will have a better glide at a similar stability as the 11’6 x32 Bote. The RedPaddle’s batten stiffening (RSS) does help rigidity and it can be inflated higher than others (you still need to do the pumping!).

2. The Red 13'2 has a better pump (best in the biz, high volume and high pressure modes) and better fin. Red has a US fin box, meaning you can put aftermarket fins. The Bote can only be used with it’s plug in plastic fin, not a US fin box.

3. The Red Paddles inflatables tend to last longer and better than other inflatables (experience of rental fleets that have them out all summer). Fusion “welding” means glue wont dry and come apart. Lighter.

4. The Bote has the fishing gadgeteries. Both have  tie downs front and back.

5. Price. Up to you to check.

You decide which of the points above are most important to you for your purposes.

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 09:53:18 AM »
The RSS system is guaranteed to give you more stiffness. The new Reds
are also known to be inflated to higher PSI's than most brands which provides
extra stiffness. I often pump my over 23PSI.

As for tracking, all relevant  RED boards this year feature a more standard
fin box that accepts variety of fins, here is one I reviewed that is
very affordable and will give you excellent tracking: http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,29854.0.html

Also a tip, if you do decide to go for the RED, one of the sponsors in this
forum, Julian from Green Water Sports http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=104154

have great deals for "Zoners" and very good service. I bought mine form
him as well.

in progress...

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 04:44:24 PM »
Thanks burchas.

Point 3 by yogi is the most important. The MSL construction is very durable, light and long lasting. This is going to be a huge difference over your AllWater. Fusion style is not matched by many brands at the moment.

Point 5, Bote board does have a few more bells and whistles but you can always glue on more attachment points to the Red knowing that you've started off with the right board to begin with.

Happy to answer more questions, 1-888-252-4983.
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Rip2632

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 05:35:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. The explorer is at the top of my list at this point. Durability and quality of construction definitely trump the bells and whistles for me. The weight capacity is pretty impressive for my needs also.  I was planning to buy a Titan pump anyway, as the pump that came with my allwater is getting pretty tired after a few years, so that's a plus as well.  GWS, I'll probably be in touch when spring rolls around if all works out with my finances (finishing up a new mtb build first).

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »
Standing by. We have a good sale on the 12'6" Explorer at the moment, but plenty of 2017 in stock.

https://greenwatersports.com/shop/brand/red-paddle-co
Julian
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 11:55:54 AM »
What kind of warranty does Red Paddle have?  If warranty repair should be needed....where and how does that get handled? Have you seen any particular "issues" with the Red Paddle Boards?
Thanks. I am very interested in Red Paddle...it's sure a nice looking product.....especially the latest race models!
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 01:41:35 PM »
Good question. Inflatables do all have their issues: weird blips, seams without glue coming unstuck, etc etc.

RebPaddle is good about handling manufacturing defects. Your dealer is the man to hit up.

2016+ Red Paddle boards don’t have any glue issues (which all glued inflatable boards have). For some odd reason it appears the guy applying glue tends to get a bit wonky after a bit. Gee, wonder why?

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 03:18:25 PM »
From my experience with my boards and friends, Red customer service
was great. On my older construction 12.6 Explorer the board developed
a deformity and got a little twisted. 2 Phone calls later and some pic
proof, Red North America sent me a new board.

They even agreed to replace my 2014 12.6 explorer with a 2015 Elite 14x26
and only asked $200 to make up the difference. The Board was already 3 weeks
out of  its 1 year warranty and they still allowed the exchange.

I heard about similar case from another friend. I think it's safe to say that
if it's a manufacturing issues, they stand behind their product.
in progress...

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 07:18:55 AM »
Warranty is 1 year but I have worked with customers to replace older boards and Red is very lenient with the 1 year. Issues were bad glue bonding and leaks. They same for all inflatable,s however MSL fusion construction has basically wiped out warranty claims. I always tell customers to contact me if they have an issue (any brand). I find this is the best and fastest way to a good result.

https://greenwatersports.com/6316/what-is-msl-monocoque-structural-laminate-of-course

Starboard now provide a 2 yr warranty on their inflatables. I'm pushing for Red to do the same.
Julian

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 09:29:05 AM »
Hala Nass has a 3 year warranty  :)   Would be great if you could convince Red Paddle to go the extra distance.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

Fog City Rider

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 10:18:49 AM »
One idea re: tie downs and bungees - you can easily apply those to a Red using whitewater rafting supplies from NRS (or West Marine...).  D-rings, bungee & adhesive is readily available for a custom job. 
San Diego, CA
10'0 Naish Nalu Pro (2017 version)
9'0 Pearson Arrow Laird custom
9'3 Pearson Arrow custom (prone)
9'8 Takayama In the Pink (prone)

spirit4earth

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 02:15:50 PM »
Warranty is 1 year but I have worked with customers to replace older boards and Red is very lenient with the 1 year. Issues were bad glue bonding and leaks. They same for all inflatable,s however MSL fusion construction has basically wiped out warranty claims. I always tell customers to contact me if they have an issue (any brand). I find this is the best and fastest way to a good result.

https://greenwatersports.com/6316/what-is-msl-monocoque-structural-laminate-of-course

Starboard now provide a 2 yr warranty on their inflatables. I'm pushing for Red to do the same.

What are the improvements of the 2017 over the 2016 RPC boards?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal