Author Topic: Rhinochasser style long sup looking for info  (Read 5087 times)

Stokage

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Rhinochasser style long sup looking for info
« on: January 30, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »
I had 2 super fun sessions on a friends custom 10'-0" quad. Minion style nose(blunt), long parallel rails, about 29" wide.
I had a great time with Long swooping turns and blowing by seemingly un-makable sections. I normally ride my 2 different L41 8-0 and 7-4 but this was a whole different feel, like I was learning SUP all over again. So much fun.

Anyway, he shaped it I think from reading about it on seabreeze but just by eye. He has a natural feel for it, but I want him to build me one and I was hoping to find some info and comments on it so I could approach its design more scientifically for my height, weight, ability and wave type I surf.
I really couldn't find any specifics on these 10' long but higher performance boards. I know some of you guys must be way ahead already on this.
Any ideas anyone, where I can find info? 
Thanks

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rhinochasser style long sup looking for info
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 04:37:45 PM »
I don't have a lot of board building knowledge, to put it mildly, but I have a lot of experience riding guns, so for whatever its worth here's mine.

I've got the 12' Paddle Surf Hawaii gun, and the 12' Jimmy Lewis Bombora gun. Its a long story as to why I have both... Both super super fun boards, so fun that I have to force myself to go back to performance boards when it gets smaller. There's lots of people who ride this style boards in all conditions, especially in Australia (I gather). When I ride them when it gets smaller I get called a kook by all my friends though, so according to the mysterious laws of surf culture I have to ride a board that makes those conditions hard as hell again.

As far as comparing the two boards, they're both similar dimensions (12' x 27.5" x 4.5" fo the Bombora, I think the PSH board is identical), but the Bombora has a lot more rocker, more of a pin tail, is single fin (mine is at least) and feels a notch sportier. I ride them in as big as the surf gets where I live in NorCal (short of Mavericks) and when it gets big I personally prefer the Bombora because of the extra bit of rocker, and it hugs a steep face a bit better. I also feel like it has more of an accellerator pedal feel when I weight the nose to get through sections than the PSH does. But that's all super subjective and its not like I'm riding the same board on the same day, so it might basically boil down to superstition at this point. And I loooove the PSH gun too. With its near total absence of rocker its so fun on longboard style waves since it feels just like a 10 foot laydown log on the takeoff on that kind of wave. And of course its fun in its intended environment of big waves too.

Another place these boards shine is on flat water. I don't have any non surf SUPs, so when I have a long flat water paddle to do I grab a gun every time. Super glidey.

If you're looking at production boards like this you might also look at the Son of Bombora, which I think is a 10'6" version of the Bombora. Beasho on this forum uses the PSH 12' gun on Mavericks with great success, and there's a guy from Hawaii, forget his name, who uses a Son of Bombora.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:09:01 PM by wrybread »

supthecreek

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »
wrybread... funny you should ask!
Sunova was "live" today with Bert Burger talking about the updated "Insane" model... which is just what you are looking for.
The insane is a gun shaped SUP, that goes to 9'11

He goes over design changes  and explains why he made them... I think this would be really helpful to you.
Since he has made all of 2 x Bedbull XX Big wave award winner, Sebastian Steudtner's guns for Nazare' this season.... so he knows Guns!

He covers a lot of features that would head you in a good direction

Here's a link to Sunova. Scroll down and look for Tino doing an Iphone Live... this pic shows the beginning shot

https://www.facebook.com/sunova.official/

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 08:41:42 PM »
nevermind, wrong topic
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 09:05:24 PM by exiled »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 11:01:57 PM »
There are rhinos and then there are R.H.I.N.O.S.   

For most people a 10' board will probably work.  I have had 3 boards in this size range:
  • 10' X 28 X 4.5 Jeff Clark - My First SUP and it just worked as a mini-Rhino Chaser
  • 10' 6" X 28 X 4.5 Paddle Surf Hawaii - A backup for when my 10' JC was in the shop
  • 10' X 28" X 4.0 Stretch Buzz Gun

These boards are great in surf ranging from 8' to 18'.  Below this wave size they are fine they just aren't as snappy as an L41 and therefore less fun.  However when waves get bigger and faster these boards give you the confidence that you are going to 1) Have enough speed to make the wave 2) Have the performance to pull through nasty steep sections 3) Have the control necessary at higher speeds that come with bigger wave faces.

The performance maxes out when waves start to regularly exceed 15+ foot faces.  Then you'll definitely want a bigger board.

The last photo is pushing the limits of comfort on a 10 foot board.

PS: My Stretch is so new I am still figuring it out.  It has pronounced Tail Rocker that mauls through turns even at high speed.  However it appears to need power to get into its groove.  Another feature of the Stretch and the JC board is the Hip-Hop.  When chasing a wave these boards are particularly effective at hopping, or pumping over the last edge of a wave.  I have not found shorter boards, or longer boards to have this hop-ability.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:49:43 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 11:03:18 PM »
When things get big, consistently 15' +++ there is an elegance to getting in early.  This is where the 12' X 28 X 4.5" Paddle Surf Hawaii gun comes into play. 

This longer board glides in like a Cadillac.  It takes work but when it gets up to speed it will let you into waves, that would otherwise be Terrifying, early and in control. 

If you have access to a deep water big wave spot, with fast moving long period ocean swell and a channel you will be able to ride the un-ridden realm.  It is an unfair advantage.  Alternately as you get older you catch it wide, outside and potentially clear from catastrophe.  This is my niche at Mavericks. 

This video shows a section of wave that would be un-catchable on a 10 ft board. Unless you wanted to go really deep. 

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:40:48 PM by Beasho »

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 02:17:47 AM »
Epic pics!

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 03:08:45 AM »
dOOd! You can ride big stuff switch? Nicely.

Where did you pick that up? From kiting I'm way better riding switch now but when push come to shove and it's nose-bleed drops I'm always reverting to my natural stance.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 05:28:27 AM »
Nice video. Great photos.

Thanks for sharing them.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
Thanks all. This is a shameless reposted video, but does a very good job of showing the 'Cruisy' nature of the 12' PSH.

This was mostly taken in 10 - 14 foot faces.  Makes it look like I'm riding small stuff.  My kids weren't even impressed.

Until I added the "goofy" ending.

lopezwill

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 09:58:46 AM »

That's a great video...

Still laughing  ;D

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 01:08:40 PM »
I had 2 super fun sessions on a friends custom 10'-0" quad. Minion style nose(blunt), long parallel rails, about 29" wide.
I had a great time with Long swooping turns and blowing by seemingly un-makable sections. I normally ride my 2 different L41 8-0 and 7-4 but this was a whole different feel, like I was learning SUP all over again. So much fun.

Anyway, he shaped it I think from reading about it on seabreeze but just by eye. He has a natural feel for it, but I want him to build me one and I was hoping to find some info and comments on it so I could approach its design more scientifically for my height, weight, ability and wave type I surf.
I really couldn't find any specifics on these 10' long but higher performance boards. I know some of you guys must be way ahead already on this.
Any ideas anyone, where I can find info? 
Thanks
I have a 10' x 29" Coreban Icon that I run as a quad. It's a performer long board with a swallow tail and a little flip in the nose. Aside from the domed deck, I have fun on it in almost all conditions. I noticed that Naish has a new 10' x 29' Carbon Pro Nalu Quad. I have always loved the older Nalu's. Iggy was the magic man! They just surf great.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
post Re: Jimmy Lewis Super Frank
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:17:06 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal