General > Training, Diet, and Fitness

Gout

(1/4) > >>

stoneaxe:
On top of everything else now I have gout..... >:(

I took my birthday off work on Tuesday....was planning on some victory at sea paddling in the nor'easter...woke up and went to get out of bed and couldn't stand...the pain that shot through my foot was mind numbing. Thought maybe I had sprained/strained my big toe somehow dancing like a fool on the weekend. It got worse as the day went on...red, swollen very sore to the touch, tough to walk. My daughter (nurse) immediately said gout...got it checked and she's right (as usual, kid is good). So I've been sidelined from doing much since. Seems to be calming down and ibuprofen is finally working some. One good thing...it underlines my need to change my diet and take better care of myself. Can't go paleo...makes gout worse potentially. I am cutting out sugar and will limit purine rich foods....I'm thinking a meditteranean diet basically with some mods to limit purine. Hoping it also helps with other issues I have with inflammation. What a pain in the ....foot..... :P

Bean:
Happy Belated Birthday Bob!

On a personal note, I'm off to a very slow start on my "couch to 5k" running program, but I'm sticking with it in large part to the inspirational posts that you and others provide here on the Zone.  I'm looking forward to seeing your progress in kicking Gout's ass! 

CLTSUP:
I know your pain well, holy crap. :'(  My latest bought was given to me by a bowl of Pho with tendon, beef brisket, marrow broth etc. didn't think of it until the next day when I stepped down like your experience. Had been over a year and a half since I had my introduction to that fine disorder.

Couple of things that keep me on the right side of that pain and decreased uric acid.
1. As you mentioned cleaning up diet and limiting beers  >:(
2. Fairly religious juicing regimen of  turmeric, ginger and lemon equal parts taken in a shot (side benefit is it lowered my BP) Mix in a bit of celery when needing a change up.

Just wanted to mention , cause you're not alone my friend. Good luck!

PDLSFR:
Oh Man Buddy, you cannot catch a freekin break. Hope you heal up and feel better soon, we miss having you in the line up !!

stoneaxe:
thanks guys...I think this was brought on by some very rich eating the last couple of weeks...and maybe the 58 years before that too.... ::). I felt a little pain there last week...didn't think much of it but we went out for my birthday on Monday...steak tips, loaded mashed potato, beer, and then an extra large piece of carrot cake (Mom's recipe...best in the world) so that may have been the last straw.
Strangely enough I 've just started juicing turmeric, ginger and lemon to help reduce inflammation. Hope it works...more important is simply losing weight though which I need. I'm not grossly fat but this really made me think I need to do something quick if I want to follow my brother and be doing this in my 70's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version