General > Training, Diet, and Fitness

Training Plan for a 100-miler?

(1/5) > >>

Bulky:
Started another thread about the Rivers for Change 100-mile race on Memorial Day weekend.  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,31197.0.html  Hoping some other Zoners will jump in and do it with me.

Regardless of that, I'm trying to chart out a training schedule and wonder if anyone has any experience with this kind of thing.  Found an old CCBC thread that talked about 3-4 short paddles a week and then a longer one that gets increasingly longer as the date approaches.  I should be able to do this as part of my regular routine--just need to carve out longer outings on the weekends.

I'd love any input you might have.  I should note that the event does take place on a river so there's ample assistance from the current (even moreso this year with all the rain CA is seeing).  So it's probably the equivalent of doing 60-70 flatwater.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

yugi:
I’ve always gone with the advice for distance events to train regularly 1/2 the distance. I know on an event day I can do double a distance I’m comfortable with in training.

3 or 4 short sessions mid week and long ones on weekends sounds good.

Have you done much river paddling? If not do some. There are some skills to develop which will save you lots of energy. Those funny little eddie currents can knock you over if you’re a nOOb. Once you get used to reading a rivers currents, and get a bit used to the funny sideswipes you can get you do get a lot better at it. As a general rule it’s the transition from curent to still water which is the tricky part.

lucabrasi:

--- Quote from: Bulky on January 24, 2017, 11:15:10 AM ---  I should note that the event does take place on a river so there's ample assistance from the current (even moreso this year with all the rain CA is seeing).

--- End quote ---
Yes, everything yugi said, watch for eddy. He's a slippery bugger.
What you said there made me think. I am not familiar with the river (I don't think tides effect it where this is at?) but if you are familiar with it at all so you have something to gauge it from this site can be helpful.........might be enough to make you think too much as well.
 https://waterdata.usgs.gov/ca/nwis/uv/?site_no=11342000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060
I looked at the flows from May of last year and far different than what it is running now. Imagine that but even with May maybe being the start or even peak runoff in that part of the country and this being the middle of winter......quite the difference.
Hard to say how soon spring will hit and what it will be like. A 8 hour paddle last May could be a 5 hour one this year. Not sure how many dams upstream from where you running. If reservoirs are full by then they will be letting her through, if not, they will be holding her back.
Regardless, have fun and good luck. Should be quite an event.

PonoBill:
Don't train at full distance unless you lower your effort substantially, Half the distance would still be a lot. Keep an eye on your joints. Carpal tunnel is easy to encounter with long paddling. If you get your wrists all fired up it might take a long time to recover. the most effective non-surgical approach I've found is the goofy and expensive tape system some doc sells. About 180 bucks for both hands for a relatively small supply. I've found that using it for about a week or so clears up my hand problems for a few months. Doesn't look like it should work, but it does for me.

https://www.mycarpaltunnel.com/fixing-carpal-tunnel-relief-without-surgery-natural-treatment-therapy-fix-syndrome.shtml

If the river current is substantial, get someone to teach you how to ferry. It's counterintuitive. If you lean on a rail to turn your board disappears.

deepmud:
Find Robert/Blue Planet's run last year on Facebook  - lots of pics of the river, He gps'd almost the entire run.
Fairly small as rivers go  - no tidal - you can see a lot of detail on Google Earth too. Wish I was going ......

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10209904287187677&set=t.100000906979095&type=3&theater

EDIT - you know this already  :o finally read your link to your other thread. This is about physical training, not river training, right?
My apologies for linking the obvious

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version