Author Topic: Quickblade 'Smart Paddle'. Discuss.  (Read 7256 times)

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Quickblade 'Smart Paddle'. Discuss.
« on: January 24, 2017, 12:04:45 AM »
On their facebook page - looks like they've taken the Motionize technology and built it into a paddle. Could be useful.

Discuss.....

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Quickblade 'Smart Paddle'. Discuss.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:22:13 AM »
I didn't find any further info. Anyone got some?

Does it merely replicate the Motionalize sensor? That would be a shame, load would be ultra cool. At least we should ask for that in the next version.

The smart thing, when incorporating a unit within a paddle would be to use a programmable unit with extra input ports which can be software upgraded to do more. Like load or the handle buttons for a Pono RC rudder unit.

Pono? Lane? You paying attention?

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 01:28:37 AM »

Does it merely replicate the Motionalize sensor? That would be a shame, load would be ultra cool.

Yes it does (and whilst I know of a company looking to add a power meter to their range, the continual delay of the technology by the supplier meant that isn't a current option).

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:19:05 AM »
I reckon the mount will not hold the phone in place on a coastal jaunt.. Its a dead cert - its gonna fall off in a 'sea'
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:55:53 AM »
I reckon the mount will not hold the phone in place on a coastal jaunt.. Its a dead cert - its gonna fall off in a 'sea'

For my motionize, I used an aftermarker waterproof case that is then mounted to a go pro mount (with a lanyard safety retainer). That should work.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 03:29:57 AM »
Well - in theory yes :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 04:14:04 AM »
Well - in theory yes :)

My speedcoach has handled that ok so far with no issues. I take your point though - I had an older iPhone 5 I've used for my motionize - not my main phone.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 08:57:20 AM »
Obviously, it would be a lot more useful with some strain gauges embedded in the shaft.  Feasible for Quickblade to do, but probably unlikely. I doubt the market for geeks who paddle is all that large.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
Obviously, it would be a lot more useful with some strain gauges embedded in the shaft.  Feasible for Quickblade to do, but probably unlikely. I doubt the market for geeks who paddle is all that large.
Put an integrated audible indicator of how much power you are exerting, and a means to record it eg. via Bluetooth, and I think just about every semi-serious racer would but one. A truly competitive person would sell their own mother for a 0.5% training advantage. It would be great to be able to hear when you are getting it right. Then the really beefy guys could boast to each other about how much power they can exert, and PBs over the interweb. It would be a whole new way of training.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »

It can't be far off the number of recreational kayakers soon and you can buy a kayak power meter now.

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
Put an integrated audible indicator of how much power you are exerting, and a means to record it eg. via Bluetooth, and I think just about every semi-serious racer would but one. A truly competitive person would sell their own mother for a 0.5% training advantage. It would be great to be able to hear when you are getting it right. Then the really beefy guys could boast to each other about how much power they can exert, and PBs over the interweb. It would be a whole new way of training.

Yep and I recall hearing similar negativity prior to SRM's and Powertap power meters coming out in the late 1990's. It revolutionised pro cycling but also recreational riding too.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 12:30:16 PM »
+1 ukgm and Area 10. 

It's a shame sup money and participation is peanuts compared to cycling.  Training for power would answer all the questions about boards and technique in flat water racing.  Everything.  Upper body this, lower body that, drafting, board motion, everything.  Sup'ers will refine their technique and training based on those numbers, just like roadies do.  (And yes PB, road bikes involve more technique than you can shake a stick at).

A strain guage-based power meter could give some interesting data and would work well in conjunction with the typical sensor measurements (speed, stroke rate, acceleration, etc.) but all of that begs the question "what will you do with the information".  It takes a lot of sensor data and some really good analysis to make sense of a dynamic system like this. And once you make sense of it, what do you change?

"What do you change?"  Surely you jest.

Power meters are not a "geek" thing in standup PB.  Yes, it's a very dynamic system.  That's exactly why hard numbers are so valuable.  Seat of the pants feeling is valuable,  and time on the water is key, but it takes forever to sort out. 

Watts and speed.  Then try a little something different.  Watts and speed.  "Wow, look at the difference!  And it felt easier!  Thanks coach, you were right!" 

Anyone wondering how important board wobble is to overall speed will be able to track it.  Exhibit A, Jeremy Riggs.  Exhibit B, Jim Terrel on an olympic canoe.  Balance, power, speed.  In that order, all things on the water.     

Imagine using watts per maliko to convince strong flat water paddlers to relax on downwind runs.   

Power data can be set to sample at very high rates per stroke on the kayak wings.  It brings a whole new perspective to "forward stroke."   

Terrel is going to make it happen, it's just going to take a while.  Kudos to him for driving the idea.

They will eventually have a motion sensor on the board, on the blade and a strain in the blade - like the olympic kayakers.             
Support your local shaper

ukgm

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 01:24:37 PM »
+1 ukgm and Area 10. 

It's a shame sup money and participation is peanuts compared to cycling.  Training for power would answer all the questions about boards and technique in flat water racing.  Everything.  Upper body this, lower body that, drafting, board motion, everything.  Sup'ers will refine their technique and training based on those numbers, just like roadies do.  (And yes PB, road bikes involve more technique than you can shake a stick at).

A strain guage-based power meter could give some interesting data and would work well in conjunction with the typical sensor measurements (speed, stroke rate, acceleration, etc.) but all of that begs the question "what will you do with the information".  It takes a lot of sensor data and some really good analysis to make sense of a dynamic system like this. And once you make sense of it, what do you change?

"What do you change?"  Surely you jest.

Power meters are not a "geek" thing in standup PB.  Yes, it's a very dynamic system.  That's exactly why hard numbers are so valuable.  Seat of the pants feeling is valuable,  and time on the water is key, but it takes forever to sort out. 

Watts and speed.  Then try a little something different.  Watts and speed.  "Wow, look at the difference!  And it felt easier!  Thanks coach, you were right!" 

Anyone wondering how important board wobble is to overall speed will be able to track it.  Exhibit A, Jeremy Riggs.  Exhibit B, Jim Terrel on an olympic canoe.  Balance, power, speed.  In that order, all things on the water.     

Imagine using watts per maliko to convince strong flat water paddlers to relax on downwind runs.   

Power data can be set to sample at very high rates per stroke on the kayak wings.  It brings a whole new perspective to "forward stroke."   

Terrel is going to make it happen, it's just going to take a while.  Kudos to him for driving the idea.

They will eventually have a motion sensor on the board, on the blade and a strain in the blade - like the olympic kayakers.             
One giant leap have been attempting to bring it to the market first but they've pushed its launch back several times to get it right. I suspect they'll get there first though and I have spoken to them about it. I can't wait.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 03:17:44 PM »

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 04:28:40 PM »
pdx - good vid find.  You are on top of it.  Interesting concept at a very low add-on price point.  Would think this would gain some traction for those that want this info right now.   ;)

LPB is 100% spot on as well.  "Balance, power, speed.  In that order, all things on the water."  Gotta have balance before power - and need power for speed.  ^^^
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal