Author Topic: Holy Tsunami Batman  (Read 11778 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Tsunami Batman
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
Some of the more spectacular observations were of the waves feathering by and breaking just inside of the Green Half Moon Bay Buoy (Gong). 

I am attaching a photo that was posted with navigational chart showing the buoy over 70 ft of water.  The green buoy is well outside of what we consider the channel during big Mavericks days.  If it breaks out there then there is no where to hide aka the entire horizon will essentially turn into a breaking wave. 

Waves typically break in 1.3X their height meaning these waves were feathering over 70 ft of water and then breaking slightly inside when they hit the 60 ft shelf, requiring at a minimum a 45 ft face.

I mentioned this to Jeff, having never witnessed waves breaking 'outside the channel' at Mavericks, and he said "We saw those on 100 foot Wednesday.  We were on skis towing-in and we would pull in underneath them.  They would roll from the top, unlike anything I had ever seen.  Just crumble from above while the bottom would build up.  Then they would hit that shelf and just explode."  Sweet!   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:43:23 PM by Beasho »

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »
It would have been nice to have been a witness to all of this spectacle in Sant Cruz.  My wife and I have been so incredibly sick with flu, we stayed in Pleasanton and have basically been invalid shut ins for the past ten days.

My body is so wasted and mushed out from being sick, laying around coughing etc, I will have to work my way up a bit back in shape with walks and some gym before I can think about going back out on a board.

I do remember some amazing days last winter when the huge swells came in, there were enormous waves breaking off of Pleasure Point and 41st Street WAY off shore where I didn't even know there were breaks, it was incredible to see.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

madeinsantacruz

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 06:39:06 AM »
Saturday afternoon was amazing.  Biggest I've ever seen Pleasure Point but ugly, raw swell and only barely rideable.  Lots of folks attempting to make it outside but quickly being denied.  Shawn Dollar, Tyler Fox and crew made it out on guns and got some incredible, 3XOH bombs that seemed to hold up forever.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/sports/20170122/great-swell-of-17-makes-santa-cruz-surfing-history

MISC

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 09:43:23 PM »
WOW! Thanx for the report(s) Beash and Sub. Better than Surfline. I feel way more connected for sure. That Steamer lane paddle out looked gnarly but at least the dude caught a wave. Mavalanche looked like death.
It's been blowing here in NJ from the same storm now for like 20 hours. Crazy. They named the storm Leo and tomorrow looks like it's be mackin. Step up day.
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2017, 01:05:54 PM »
Our shared storm delivered. I probably should paddle out but it's pretty gnar. Shot for about 30 mins atop the dunes and was shivering w/numb hands. Blowing hard offshore, grey, precipin'. Not exactly user friendly but the top guys are loving it.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10155047386342682.1073741996.785257681&type=1&l=5216cadc5c

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

wrybread

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2017, 07:20:02 PM »
That swell was so crazy. I've never seen numbers like that on the buoys.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal