Author Topic: Costa Rica in March  (Read 5550 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Costa Rica in March
« on: January 19, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »
My wife and I have been dragging our feet on what to do for our 35th wedding anniversary...it was over a year ago... :P. Finally decided on Costa Rica this March. She would like to go all-inclusive and I'm not opposed to it but the one she's looking at.. Dreams Las Mareas is in the middle of nowhere. It looks like they may have boards but it's doubtful I'd be that satisfied with what's there. I'm thinking more of heading down around Tamarindo to make board rental easier. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Costa Rica in March
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 12:59:47 PM »
There are people here who may know something about Dreams Las Mareas, I don't, but a 5-minute google search showed me the same thing you saw. Assuming you are able to finagle your way out that, fly into Liberia but skip Tamarindo and head down to Playa Guiones in Nosara. From there you'll be able to surf Guiones, Garza, Ostional and Avellanas. I've stayed at Blue Spirit and Harmony Hotel and recommend both. Oscar from NosaraPuraVida and Erik from Paddlewoo/Progressive have lodging/board rental operations. If you go, don't miss dinner at La Luna.
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
What Jorge said. I went last April and stayed on the beach in Ostinal. Spent a couple days in Nosara just south of Ostinal and even went up to Playa Avellana for a day (surfed and ate at Lola's). Nice wave in front of Lola's. That was about an hour drive from Ostinal. If I were going back I'd stay right in Nosara and surf there. Really nice beach and break and really cool town. I would bring my own board. The break at Ostinal was, in my opinion based one the one week I was there, not a SUP spot, though it was sold to me as such. The wave came in straight on and dumped, no submerged features, bars etc to form ridable shoulders. And no safe way at all to get out. I almost died but I'll spare you that story. Ostinal is however, the primo spot for sea turtle nests. Definitely worth a trip to see that. Costa Rica is one of the planet's great places. Go and have fun Playa Ostinal.NosaraLola's at Playa Avellanas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 03:45:26 PM by addapost »
Bunch of old shit

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 05:32:10 PM »
Dreams Las Mareas is in the middle of nowhere

Well not exactly, Salinas Bay is a world class kiting destination these days. But it's not an area known for surfing. Dreams Las Mareas looks beautiful. You may consider resigning yourself to spending the trip giving the wife foot massages by the pool and taking long romantic walks on the beach. It is, after all, your 35th and congratulations by the way you old fart.

You are not going to find anything like that resort in Tamarindo or Nosara. If it's surf you're after I think Nosara is your best bet. It's going to be hit and miss as it not quite the season for surf. One night in Tamarindo was the perfect amount of time. I could spend weeks in Nosara and the surrounding area.

IRideYellow

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
You might want to look at Bocas del Toro just over the border in Panama.  The only problem is there are no surf sups to rent and the planes that fly into the airport cannot take board longer then 6 or 7 feet.  Or you can take a van from San Jose to the border then a boat to the islands.  They allow boards up to 11 I think.  Though it only makes sense if there is swell on the Carib side   
Starboard WidePoint 8'10, Sunova 8'10 Speeed (Sold), Wardog  7'10 Jammer,  L41 8'8 S3 (sold), Naish Mana 10 (sold), 3 Wavestorm 9'6

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 07:31:06 AM »
Stoney... My intel says there's lots more boards to rent in Tamarindo. You'd slit your wrists if there were non available in a quality or size in an isolated area.  My BYOB week in Nosara years ago was Victory at Sea shore pound; weather is always subject to chance.  (We had a nice time tho'.) As a Geezer, I want all the logistics easier next time. For me, Southwest flys direct in/out BWI-Liberia and can carry a board.

My wife was born/raised in the Canal Zone ..'back to Panama every coupla years.  She's spending 10 days in Feb at a coffee finca in Boquete birding with another Zoner (Yes mother; "There are other zones.")  IRL... they'd never go near Bocas.  It used to be a humid, buggy, hippy hangout but drugs from the Darien have flooded in and there's a lot of nasty going on.  As a tourist, you may miss it... but Panama as a whole has levels of person-on-person crime not seen a decade ago.  The best surf is over on the Pacific side.. but, accommodations are limited and it's hard to bring a board ..and there are few/if any rentals.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 08:25:06 AM »
This is a 35th anniversary trip more than a surf trip...we're hoping to do that later in the summer with Pono on a west coast trip. My wife paddles but doesn't surf much. As much as I'd love to stay at a mix of surf breaks that's not this trip. Dreams looks good for most of what we hope to do...de-stress and spend some time fun time together but we would also like some more to do in the area, a little nightlife (we both love to dance), some local culture, etc.. Bottom line...looking for a nice place with good amenities in an area where there is stuff to do beyond surfing and gazing lovingly into each others eyes..... :)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

NorthJerzSurfer

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »
If its a 35th anniversary trip...avoid Bocas.   Example.  My Bachelor party was a surf trip to Bocas. 

Not really a romantic spot....Alcohol, surf and access to bad things and people?  Yes- that kind of spot.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 11:07:48 AM »
If its a 35th anniversary trip...avoid Bocas.   Example.  My Bachelor party was a surf trip to Bocas. 

Not really a romantic spot....Alcohol, surf and access to bad things and people?  Yes- that kind of spot.

Sounds like a GREAT bachelor party though!
Bob

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
This may be a nice compromise - I stay at the JW Marriott which is a 5 minute drive from Playa Avellanas. I stay there because I have a ton of Marriott points and can stay for free, but my wife loves the hotel, in fact she loves all of Costa Rica - Nosara and Arenal as well, but the Marriott is extremely nice, with all of the things wives like (spa, pool, plenty of beach chairs, etc.).

On the flip side, you can drive down to Avellanas or up to Playa Langosta, etc. and surf. It's a nice compromise if you can swing it.

I'm actually leaving Monday for 11 days - 5 in Nosara, 6 in Avellanas.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »
C'hit... that's why you're still married after all these years; You dance with your wife.  Mine would pull me me to the kitchen floor if I could dance. I am the clumsiest/no-timing dude she's come across.. I'm lucky to have made 30.   Have fun down there.

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2017, 09:11:50 AM »
The Marriot is one of the places we're looking at. I was thinking it might be the perfect compromise. Thanks.

I started dating my wife when we were 17....42 years ago. She was the one that got me dancing. I think sometimes now she wishes she hadn't since I take the saying "dance like nobodies watching" seriously.... ;D. It seems kind of weird to say given my ogre like size and looks but sometimes I wish I was a professional dancer. Not many things I enjoy more and despite my size I'm damn good if I do say so myself. I get a lot of comments from folks (almost every time we go out) about my dancing. Strangely enough usually from young black guys that have been bringing their own funk to the floor nearby (though last Saturday night I got a compliment from a beautiful young Hispanic girl... :) ). I think it's mostly because they are shocked to see an ogre like old white guy bustin a move.
We dance all the time at my house....I was sitting outside the other night relaxing with a book when my granddaughter came out...."Grampy...come inside and dance with me...I'm playing your favorite music but it's a surprise" So we go inside and she says "Alexa resume" and Pitbull comes on (I love funk with a latin flair) and we start getting funky. After that she wanted me to teach her to Samba.....life is good.... :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:17:08 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2017, 01:35:10 PM »
Best thing I've seen, read or heard all day. Thanks, Stoney. J
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

APPST_Paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 04:28:39 AM »
The Marriot is one of the places we're looking at. I was thinking it might be the perfect compromise. Thanks.

I started dating my wife when we were 17....42 years ago. She was the one that got me dancing. I think sometimes now she wishes she hadn't since I take the saying "dance like nobodies watching" seriously.... ;D. It seems kind of weird to say given my ogre like size and looks but sometimes I wish I was a professional dancer. Not many things I enjoy more and despite my size I'm damn good if I do say so myself. I get a lot of comments from folks (almost every time we go out) about my dancing. Strangely enough usually from young black guys that have been bringing their own funk to the floor nearby (though last Saturday night I got a compliment from a beautiful young Hispanic girl... :) ). I think it's mostly because they are shocked to see an ogre like old white guy bustin a move.
We dance all the time at my house....I was sitting outside the other night relaxing with a book when my granddaughter came out...."Grampy...come inside and dance with me...I'm playing your favorite music but it's a surprise" So we go inside and she says "Alexa resume" and Pitbull comes on (I love funk with a latin flair) and we start getting funky. After that she wanted me to teach her to Samba.....life is good.... :)

I'll be there Friday through Thursday - it's nice but I've never actually paid for a room, it's always on points.
7'6" JL Super Frank Lean
8'2" JL SuperTech 
10'1" JL Black and Blue
14' BIC WS Tracer
6'5" JL Flying-V/GoFoil Maliko 200
Kenalu Ho'oloa 95, Werner Rip Stick 79

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 04:53:35 AM »
I used to have Marriot points back in the day but we'll be paying for this... :(

I don't mind spending a bit more considering what its for. I just want to make sure my wife will be happy with it and I'll get a chance to get some water time. Sounds like a good option.
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal