Author Topic: Fuck yeah!  (Read 5842 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 09:56:03 AM »
When I have made my vids, I have had to edit out the foul language.  I had no idea I was such a trash mouth out there until I played things back.  I also cuss when I drive.

I seldom cuss around other people, though, except my wife, who is used to a bit of cussing now and then.  She'd like to cuss, but doesn't, so I think I cuss for her by proxy.

My father didn't cuss much at all, nor my mother, so I am a disgrace.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 11:21:27 AM »
I love to swear and I don't lie (because I completely suck at it). I remember in the 3rd grade sitting in my friend Jeff's bedroom working on our swearing syntax and phrasing. We came up with lots of great combos. Later in the afternoon he tried out "Ass lickin' c8nt" on his mom, which I found hilarious. We both got to rinse out with Dawn soap. His mom still remembers it too.

I am a civil engineer and so some days I am working with contractors and some days I am working with other nerds, owners, jurisdictions,etc. So my business swears are tempered for the crowd I am with.

I generally find that folks who swear a lot - are the type who cut to the chase. My business partner is brutally honest and swears like the pile-buck he once was. He isn't allowed to talk to any clients except contractors. No one likes to hear "your'e fucked" from their engineer, it is not a good method to make more sales.
Make paddleboarding great again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 11:36:16 AM »
When I was about eight years old I told my mother that I had learned where babies really came from (from my neer-do-well buddies of course). She said "Oh, really?" and I said "yes, it's called fucking".

So I had kind of an early start. Not as early as some, though. I was at a friends house once and his two adorable daughters were fighting--probably age five and six. The youngest came screaming out to complain to daddy "Kristen said I'm a weenie-licking cocksucker." Hard to hold a straight face.

When I'm really mad, I rarely swear. I get ice cold and speak in terse but complete sentences. Subject, predicate, and you can hear the punctuation. Scares the shit out of everyone. Me included. Doesn't happen often, I hate the feeling. It's like a bad drug.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 11:43:10 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Dusk Patrol

• Teahupoo Status
  • PNW
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »
There’s a spectrum of swearing for sure. I confess when I run into it in ‘normal’ life, its off-putting, and I tend not to swear out loud...  BUT  I swear like Eric Cartman in my head…  for my own good natured entertainment.   Am I dishonest because I adhere to social conventions, or am I SUPER honest … but inside…
RS 14x26; JL Destroyers 9'8 & 8'10; BluePlanet 9'4; JL Super Frank 8'6

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:15 PM »
There is a risk of going too far in the other direction.
When my daughter was very young, just starting preschool, she came home with what my then wife called inappropriate names for the gender organs.  She then promptly taught her the appropriate names for those, I said she might be a bit young for that, the wife said "no she's not, never too young to know the proper names", I said "ahh,,,,,,, okay".
Now much long after that, I took my daughter to the grocery store with me, she sat in that fold up seat in the shopping cart, we are done shopping so we enter the line to check out.  I have a woman in front of me in line, and another woman behind me, and the checker is a woman also, so we are surrounded by women.
Just before it's my turn to check out, my daughter says in a fairly loud voice, "Dad, this cart tickles my vagina!"  All the women bust up laughing, my daughter asks me what's so funny, I told her, "I'll tell you when we get in the car", I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
At least the ladies got a good laugh out of it, me, not so much at the time, it's funny now though.
It takes a quiver to do that.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 09:25:24 PM »
I know that I grew up in a family where it was rarely used. I don't think I ever heard my father or mother say anything worse than and occasional damn, hell, and the very rare "oh shit". 
Isn't that interesting.

I grew up in a family where my verbally abusive alcoholic father constantly used profanity. He often used the words in anger as a way to hurt people and when I was very young, a lot of it was directed toward me. If you've ever wondered why some people don't use bad words, this may be one reason why.

It is interesting, and can be true even if the behavior isn't directed at the child.  It's standard for people to think, "He grew up watching his father swear (or drink, or whatever) so it makes sense that he'll do the same when he grows up".  But it can be equally true that "He grew up watching his own mother being called ^%$# and seeing how much it hurt her, so it makes sense that he'll do whatever he can to NOT do the same when he grows up". 

It's like an interview I heard with someone who wrote a cookbook.  "Did you learn to cook because your mother was a wonderful cook, as is true of so many great cooks?"  "No, I learned because she was a horrible cook". 

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
When I was in junior high school, they developed the land behind the house we lived in.  A sailor and his wife/child moved in behind us.  The little kid, who couldn't have been more than five, would always find a way to climb up on the fence.  We would see his cowboy hat poking up, and then his head, and he would unleash a tirade of the most foul language I had ever heard at that point in my life. 

I overheard the parents, and, yup, he was just imitating his parents cussing rants.  We thought it was pretty funny and did everything we could to get the kid to cuss at us.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 11:50:49 PM »
I'm guilty of a foul mouth. But I have truly never understood the upset it causes.   Though never directed personally at others they are my go to verbage in moments of anger or frustration.

For me words are much less meaningful than deeds.

Most of my life I've lived abroad and those around me don't hear it the same.

If I get out of hand though, my wife and daughters join in and that shuts me up.
Something about a girl cursing just sounds off.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 12:26:44 AM »
If I'm swearing around you, take it as a complement that I feel relaxed enough to do so.  It feels good sometimes.  But I don't write swear words.  They seem cheap and have no true effect on paper.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 05:57:49 AM »
Same here, not much swearing in my house growing up and I seemed to be the last kid who knew what the words meant and graduated to cursing quite well if I do say so.
I find it amazing that the content that is on television is deemed acceptable without a second thought but a curse from a live camera will get everyone scrambling to apologize.

It is something else to see that little 2 year old kid, just forming words and sentences, can't quite pronounce many of their words yet but when that curse comes out of their mouth it is in perfect context.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 06:41:16 AM »
Agreed, Luca. It's bizarre that we get the vapors at a bad word on TV, but violent, bloody death is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2017, 06:56:39 AM »
If I'm swearing around you, take it as a complement that I feel relaxed enough to do so.  It feels good sometimes. 

^ and that

is what the article is trying to capture. Letting go. Being real.

Of course everyone has their own styles and comfort zones. Just like paddlin'.

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 10:22:57 AM »

I was a sailor too. I singlehanded over 20,000 miles and have crewed on a number of yachts. I've never thought of profanity as a prerequisite to being a sailor.

I think PB was referring to being a Navy Sailor, which is where the term "swear like a sailor" comes from.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 11:03:22 AM »
One of my best buddies is my 7 year old granddaughter. We spend a lot of time together. I enlisted her to help me clean up my language about 4 years ago. I had already been trying to watch my mouth around her but one day we were in the car and some guy cuts us off without looking..."fucking idiot" comes from the then 3 year old in the back seat. We had a conversation about bad words and the end result was that since then she reminds me when I slip....now in response to my obscenities I get a "Hey...there's a kid back here"....and I apologize.... :P
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal