Author Topic: Fuck yeah!  (Read 5840 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Fuck yeah!
« on: January 18, 2017, 10:11:48 PM »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck yeah!
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 02:16:44 AM »

Sounds like a load of crap to me. It may be true in some people but not as a general rule.

I've never used profanity in my life and pride myself on my honesty and the ability to give an honest opinion. I don't have to refrain from using profanity because the words just aren't in my vocabulary.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 02:32:53 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 06:26:29 AM »
Doesn't look like a lightweight study.

Badger, I would point out that you say "may be true in some people, but not as a general rule" and then use yourself as an example. That is actually more likely to be an indication of "true for some people".

I swear like a sailor. But then I was one, so I come by it honestly. I don't consider myself particularly honest externally, but I'm honest with myself. I think my greatest strength is that I understand how little I know for sure.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 06:53:05 AM »
Hmmmmm......

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 07:17:56 AM »

Badger, I would point out that you say "may be true in some people, but not as a general rule" and then use yourself as an example. That is actually more likely to be an indication of "true for some people".

I swear like a sailor. But then I was one, so I come by it honestly.

There are many ways to look at it. I think what the study means is that if someone has the habit of foul language and doesn't repress it, it means they are less likely to bother with lying to people.

Profanity is learned at an early age. I think in a lot of children it represents a way of acting grown up.

I was a sailor too. I singlehanded over 20,000 miles and have crewed on a number of yachts. I've never thought of profanity as a prerequisite to being a sailor.

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:34:24 AM »
In this case I was speaking of the military, and the term "swears like a sailor" generally refers to that, not the act of sailing. In my experience, most soldiers, sailors and marines "swear like sailors."

I don't profess to know the source of profanity for the general public. I know that I grew up in a family where it was rarely used. I don't think I ever heard my father or mother say anything worse than and occasional damn, hell, and the very rare "oh shit". 

As a businessman, I can generally manage my vocabulary, but I've actually felt that I was being less forthcoming, and even less creative when I was guarding my language. As a writer, I use it as spice and to convey reality in specific circumstances and environments.  It's definitely part of my vocabulary, and I think it's dishonest to say it's not part of yours. If it wasn't, you wouldn't understand the words.  (trying for a little PDX-style irony there).

Of course my business was bullshit. So there's that.

In my business career, the most dishonest, most damaging people I met were people who would never swear and were dismissive of anyone who did, for religious reasons. Crooks and thieves. That's just my experience, and I certainly don't mean it to be representative. It just happens to be so. But it happened often enough to leave me on my guard.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 08:26:10 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 07:51:53 AM »
Personally, swearing is an excellent gauge to my mental and spiritual condition.

When I'm "living right" and "in the present" swearing tends to leave my vocabulary regardless of what is going on in my life (good or bad). Not because I'm trying not to swear but that it simply does not come up. 

When Im not "on the beam" so to speak and my ego is in full swing then swearing rapidly becomes a mode of expression for me. Especially frustration, emphasizing my need to be heard and my need to sound/be like my fellows. Truly the opposite of honesty.

I believe its absolutely possible to tell people exactly how you feel or what you think without swearing. Furthermore, I would suggest that if Im capable and successful in being fully honest with myself and the individual(s) with whom I'm communicating with then my swearing would not exist.

All that said, who the fuck knows.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 07:54:55 AM »
When I read that the “researchers examined the Facebook posting” my bullshit meter redlined for this study. I wonder what they would have found if the researchers would have visited a prison. Anyway, thanks for sharing Stoneaxe even though I think the study is fucked up.
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

clay

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • www.clayisland.com
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 08:15:02 AM »
Thank for sharing!

This part of the article jumped out and resonates with me:
“If you’re trying to follow the social norms rather than saying what you think, you are saying what people want to hear,” he said.  “In that respect you are not being very honest."

For me "bad" words are more the intention or feeling behind the words.  I find the word "it" or "you" to be more hurtful or demeaning than f bombs, as in referring to a living being as an it, or saying you did or didn't do this, that, or the other...
Aloha, I welcome and appreciate all responses of positivity and good feeling.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIE6FWr1SpWvbPJIIiEgog

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 08:21:19 AM »
I posted this somewhat tongue in cheek. I do pride myself on my honesty...not always easy I but I don't like liars. I also use obscenities too often...can't take the city out of the kid I guess. I try to curb it and am mostly successful but they still slip out....when driving all bets are off....too many fucking idiots on the road..... ;D

I do find that fuck is an amazing word....noun, verb, adjective, adverb....pretty versatile... ;)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 08:26:04 AM »
After a bit more thought...

When we were kids and learned to swear it was about attention and control (maybe fleeting moments of freedom too). I would venture to say that not much has changed.

Adding swear words for emphasis changes how the person whom is reading or listening to my words hears, processes and reacts. Thus, at baseline with or without my conscious attempt to persuade the other(s) my language is both attention seeking and controlling. Neither attribute is about honesty.

Well, thats my personal philosophical assessment of it anyway. #fuckinA
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »
After curbing my mouth all day because I teach kids, I find myself WANTING to curse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 09:28:32 AM »
Those honest serial killers.." Sure I F'n killed them, and buried their F'n bodies in my back yard!"  ;)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 09:31:33 AM »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »
I know that I grew up in a family where it was rarely used. I don't think I ever heard my father or mother say anything worse than and occasional damn, hell, and the very rare "oh shit". 

Isn't that interesting.

I grew up in a family where my verbally abusive alcoholic father constantly used profanity. He often used the words in anger as a way to hurt people and when I was very young, a lot of it was directed toward me. If you've ever wondered why some people don't use bad words, this may be one reason why.

I know what you mean about not being able to trust polite people who might be trying to screw you over. What they are doing is using what is considered honest behavior as a tool to trick people. It's the oldest trick in the book. 

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal