Author Topic: Trip to Cardiff, Cali  (Read 11496 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Trip to Cardiff, Cali
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 12:56:06 PM »
Sunset Cliffs was surprisingly clean with doh and toh sets. Only a dozen or so out at 3 spots. Two SUPers got some bombs

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 01:17:01 PM »
La Jolla cove was breaking this morning - a pretty rare event.  And as Tom said, surprisingly clean

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Trip to Cardiff, Cali
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
You can't have a thread about Cardiff, without yours truly. :)

I would join all of you for a session, but I am down and out with a broken ankle. A few days after Christmas, my 7'2" JP Surf Slate sup attacked me, snapping my fibula. And I ended up having surgery.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 05:48:19 PM by Cardiff Sweeper »

digger71

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2017, 06:01:34 PM »
Ouch CSweep!  My wife had a very similar break, and hardware to match, about 2 years ago.  I never realized how much of a hassle a broken ankle could be until those few months.  She was in a boot rather than a hard cast though.  And a knee scooter was the best purchase we ever made - assuming you can't put weight on it for quite a while.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 08:51:04 PM »
Oh man, sorry to hear that sweeper.  The x-ray looks like one of the screws has come out and is laying sideways.  WUWT?
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »
Oh man, sorry to hear that sweeper.  The x-ray looks like one of the screws has come out and is laying sideways.  WUWT?

Ha, that's a screw fastening bone to bone across the break.  Carpenters call it a toe screw!  I'll bet the surgeon's counterbore drill formed  a flat spot (shoulder) for the head of the screw to rest.  I'll bet the threads only engage beneath the break, with a smooth shank above so he can tighten it juuuust so.       
Support your local shaper

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 10:08:48 AM »
La Jolla cove was breaking this morning - a pretty rare event.  And as Tom said, surprisingly clean

Yes it was!

We watched the lone SUS'er (there were two, but only one catching waves) lose his board...
He wasn't wearing a cord  ??? and the wind took his board 30-40' in the air and it came back down 100' south and outside of where he surfaced, then the next wave took it into the cliffs. Lifeguard on Ski picked him up and took him over to retrieve his board.
He paddled back out, where he promptly caught another wave, rode it a couple of sections and got swallowed up and lost his board again. Swam for it, knee paddled back to get his paddle, and did it again. And again.

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 12:12:53 PM »
Digger71 - I saw people over there but stayed at in front of La Jolla shores park. I shouldn't have been lazy & paddled over although I was happy w/ the waves where I was at. Is it all sandbar over there?

SD Surfer - I could barely see the two suppers that were out there. One of them came in around 11am & I asked him how it was. He said he was only on two fins & it was really windy. It looked awesome from where I was.  Is that just right of the children's pool?  Is that all sandbar as well? Thanks for the pics. I was gonna drive over there after I got out to check it out but was too hungry & headed home.

On big fun days at La Jolla/Scripps, it's always fun to see the big waves they catch & wipe out on. Saw some great rides & nasty spills.

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 01:53:41 PM »
SD Surfer - I could barely see the two suppers that were out there. One of them came in around 11am & I asked him how it was. He said he was only on two fins & it was really windy. It looked awesome from where I was.  Is that just right of the children's pool?  Is that all sandbar as well? 

Nate, the guys you talked to is probably the guy in that first pic I posted. I never did see him catch a wave.

The Children's Pool is probably 200 yards south... Boomer's is in between, Bodysurfing Mecca.

I can't speak to the bottom outside, but everything I've seen in the Cove & sea cave area is reef, rock, and Kelp forests, with patches of sand here and there. No sandbars til you get over to the Marine Room.

Cardiff Sweeper

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Trip to Cardiff, Cali
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 08:59:46 PM »
If I weren't injured, I'd have taken a shot at it out there. Ends up petering out into deep water. Easier said than done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:01:44 PM by Cardiff Sweeper »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 09:50:59 PM »
WOW! Impressive LaJolla Cove and screw job to the ankle! When I visited Blacks I gazed over at La Jolla and remembered all the photos I'd seen over the yrs of it breaking. That looks a bit outa my skill set. That bailout looks terrifying!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:05:24 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

SD Surfer

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2017, 10:03:27 AM »
WOW! Impressive LaJolla Cove and screw job to the ankle! When I visited Blacks I gazed over at La Jolla and remembered all the photos I'd seen over the yrs of it breaking. That looks a bit outa my skill set. That bailout looks terrifying!

Yep, those are the moments when you start re-thinking a lot of your life choices.  ??? I surfed the Cove twice when I was young, dumb, and full of... ummm, enthusiasm... and thought I had to prove myself.
It's really kind of a mushy, slopey faced wave, and while it's technically not a really difficult wave to surf, it can really mess with your mind 'cuz you know the Cove doesn't even break unless it's huge, and there's A LOT of water moving. 

FYI, while we were standing at the Cove, every so often we could see some major mountains of water at Blacks.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2017, 11:32:01 PM »
I went to Scripps this afternoon, sat in the car for about half an hour looking at the water trying to find something that made putting on my wetsuit in 45 degree weather worthwhile. Didn't see it. I kind of regret not going, I'm sure I would have had some fun, but it was pretty much nothin but whitewater.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2017, 05:12:43 PM »
I went to Scripps this afternoon, sat in the car for about half an hour looking at the water trying to find something that made putting on my wetsuit in 45 degree weather worthwhile. Didn't see it. I kind of regret not going, I'm sure I would have had some fun, but it was pretty much nothin but whitewater.

Meanwhile on the Oregon Coast a few days ago...;-)

https://youtu.be/j-Ad8HhxlHE
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2017, 06:47:23 PM »
Rub it in, Dog.

I had a good session this morning until my paddle snapped. I suspect it was pre-broken in the back of the truck, I think my bike rack fell on it. It felt funny on the paddle out--I thought it was just odd current. But when I went for a particularly big wave--snap.

Had to drive back to Canyon Lake to get a replacement shaft and some spare paddles--I only brought one. As it turned out it was a good thing I went. the Trout's dock had risen above it's anchor posts and moved enough to one side so when the lake level came down the post jammed under the dock, and it was starting to tilt. Got that sorted out, but by the time I got back to Cardiff the wind was on it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal