Author Topic: Facebook and other stuff  (Read 5521 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Facebook and other stuff
« on: January 14, 2017, 05:16:39 AM »
I love the one where the guy says he should be banned from Mavericks forever.  Beasho didn't even really drop in on the guy, the guy was crashed probably by the time Beasho took off on the wave.

Not only that, the dickheads called it shoulder-hopping....

I think you guys had an effect. 

Unlike THIS FORUM you can apparently recant your comments forever in Facebook.  PonoBill got in a pissing match with some dude and he either deleted his comments or the sensitivity police scrubbed them from Facebook.  Suddenly the commentary is much more receptive. 

WTF is going on?  There were something like 107 or 110 comments but people felt obliged or were shamed into removing them.  Pono's question about whether the guy ever surfed an overhead wave might have hit home.

Link here: Scroll down to ~ Dec 27th
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=World%20Surf%20League%20wipeout

When I saw this post it was a short while after I had found out you could do that on facebook. Facebook drama going on with people I know. "he said this, she said that, then he said this...posted that then deleted this......"
Wait. What?
Sensitivity censors? Oh my.
I was a bit surprised. This thing that so many people are tethered to, that some lives seemingly revolve around......you can say anything you want about someone for all the world to see and then make it disappear? This is taken as a serious form of interaction between people? Utmost importance in peoples lives? Really?
Twitter is brutal, I know that. I knew stuff got deleted from there but always seems to be out there. I have played with it but haven't figured out how to really use it so to say. I guess i don't care enough. Really just follow a few things there and don't even really follow so to say.
I don't do the facebook thing. I can see great uses for it for sure but just always has been too much drama with it it seems. I guess when I started seeing my kids do myspace then facebook it seemed like something for kids. Funny how that really just exploded in not that much time.

Fake news. I still think there has always been some version of this. Kind of goes with "unverified and unsubstantiated". Rumors and such.
Yeah, in this day and age it is a different breed for sure.
I know I kind of wonder about myself at times and all the stupid stuff I may click on. It is rather odd all the "media outlets" that seem to be out there when you click on something. Just simply amazing. 

I had carrots for breakfast today then went for a run. You go girl, your so beautiful, don't listen to anyone who says you need to lose 150 lbs, you look good.
That wasn't mean, he had it coming and I don't like him anyways. I going shopping then to texas road house. You hear what Jimmy did..... blah, blah, blah, blah.

Heard an interesting little segment the other day about young police officers. I can't even imagine the stress going on with that job right now (always but now especially) and it was how new young recruits don't have social skills. One of the most important jobs of a police officer is interacting with the community. Youngsters don't know how to interact they are finding out. All their interactions have been over social media for the most part. They are having them go into a mall in plain clothes and introducing themselves and interacting with the public. Great idea I thought.
Somehow at times it seems we are moving towards some science fiction movie or something. Sleeper, Total Recall, 2001 Space Odyssey come to mind for some reason.

Quite the world we are in, ain't it? You ever think about your kids and grandkids and really, really, start to worry? I imagine parents have always done that in the world around them but........isn't there something a bit different happening out there now?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 05:20:30 AM by lucabrasi »

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Re: Facebook and other stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 06:23:42 AM »
luca, as a teacher I'm definitely seeing things like that. Kids have less sense of how they fit in social situations. I have had to change my teaching style because I couldn't depend on connecting with the kids. They seem less interested in adults and the adult world. Of course, I teach at a tiny public school on the east coast — that's hardly data for the country — but I think it's significant. Just a few days ago, one of the most experienced teachers at my school said, “I feel like I need new training. I've never had so many kids with emotional problems before.”

I get concerned when I see so many kids walking about with earbuds. They're not interacting with their communities. I don't blame kids for doing some of that — I liked my Sony Walkman just fine as a kid. They need to limit that social media engagement and see that the real world has an entirely different set of rules and consequences.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:29:53 AM »
Im a teacher too and yes - in the last six years things have changed big time  and the parents are sooooooo tied up in their smart phones - they don't even realise.. Its smart tech that is the main reason. Kids building  a completely different 'Internal Model'.... They don't see things out there as we do.. Seriously. They are even losing the depth of field perception. Many kids can't  judge distance or even turn around.. If you say to a 5 year old - "Look Up at the sky" They don't even know which way is up.. Or back or forward or sideways.

Ten years ago - say to a kid,

"Move sideways through the water"

Thats what they'd do... Today, they look blankly as if Im from another planet :(

If the Devil truly exists here on earth - He has ginger hair and his name is Mark Z
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:32:21 AM by UKRiverSurfers »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 06:33:26 AM »
That's interesting, UK. I hadn't considered the consequences with physical perception. I knew my own visual perception gets screwed up after I spend too much time on a screen. This must be much more profound when this happens regularly to kids who are still developing.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 06:37:14 AM »
luca, as a teacher I'm definitely seeing things like that. Kids have less sense of how they fit in social situations. I have had to change my teaching style because I couldn't depend on connecting with the kids. They seem less interested in adults and the adult world. Of course, I teach at a tiny public school on the east coast — that's hardly data for the country — but I think it's significant. Just a few days ago, one of the most experienced teachers at my school said, “I feel like I need new training. I've never had so many kids with emotional problems before.”

I get concerned when I see so many kids walking about with earbuds. They're not interacting with their communities. I don't blame kids for doing some of that — I liked my Sony Walkman just fine as a kid. They need to limit that social media engagement and see that the real world has an entirely different set of rules and consequences.

The  Real World is actually an agreement we all have with each other as adults - The Internal Model...

Kids internal model is being built by computer programs that most adults do not understand.

Terminator Scenario is actually happening right now...  :( :( :(

As a teacher I also feel the need to revise and change - not progressively but completely.. I even considered going into teaching dogs instead.. Sort of like Caeser Milan :D
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 06:40:42 AM »
That's interesting, UK. I hadn't considered the consequences with physical perception. I knew my own visual perception gets screwed up after I spend too much time on a screen. This must be much more profound when this happens regularly to kids who are still developing.

Exactly - their really is 2D.. Problem is, and I see it right in front of me, Kids under four are just watching screens for hours on end when they should be developing motor skills and spacial awareness. 

SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 06:43:24 AM »
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 06:46:46 AM »
Go straight to 10 mins in and he gives the game away!! A BIG warning if ever...  ::)

He says -

"Companies are Learning Organisms"

:-\     

Learn how to Own You  :(
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 06:58:41 AM »
We've gone to a full computer model with my school. I like some of it a lot. Google Classroom is a godsend to a disorganized geek like myself. Unfortunately the kids are pretty addicted to looking at their screens. Some just can't stop. I have to do “screens down” time when I do actual teaching.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 07:37:43 AM »
Addicted isn't too strong a word. When I first saw young girls walking around holding their smartphone a few years ago and looking at it every few minutes I thought it was the perfect trap for dissociated young girls--a little shot of gratification from their support group, wherever they're located. Seemed like an addiction probably confined to young, insecure girls. I assumed boys were less vulnerable. Male social interaction seems simpler and less dramatic.

Since then I've observed two big changes. It's everyone under 30 that is addicted, and young men have become drama queens.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 09:21:04 AM »
The NBA seems to be aware of what is happening, they are considering shortening their games.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NBA will consider shortening games due to millennial attention spans

A 2015 study by Microsoft revealed that the average person's attention span in this wild world of technology and social media is down to eight seconds — which is less than that of a goldfish.

If you're an NBA fan and you're still reading this (and kudos to you, if you are) ...  there's no need to worry. NBA commissioner Adam Silver has it covered.

You know those late-game situations, where timeout after timeout make the final 30 seconds last 10 minutes? During a press conference in London before the Denver Nuggets' 140-112 rout of the Indiana Pacers on Thursday, Silver noted that the league tracks the end of games — specifically the number of timeouts that are allowed — "very closely" and said the NBA's competition committee will likely take a "fresh look" at game length at the end of the season.

"It’s something that I know all of sports are looking at right now, and that is the format of the game and the length of time it takes to play the game,” Silver said. “Obviously people, particularly millennials, have increasingly short attention spans, so it’s something as a business we need to pay attention to. ... When the last few minutes of the game take an extraordinary amount of time, sometimes it’s incredibly interesting for fans, other times it’s not."

Well done, commissioner Silver. Well done.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/01/13/nba-shortening-games-millennial-attention-spans/96535434/
It takes a quiver to do that.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 09:55:03 AM »
I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum. I don't have a Facebook account, no MySpace account, no Twitter account. In fact, I don't have any social media accounts. I also do not own a smart phone. I use a plain old fashioned flip phone. And to make matters worse (which my wife always reminds me of), when I take my flip phone with me to run errands or whatever, my flip phone is always turned "off" so no one can call me. I basically use a cell flip phone to call out on and that's it so if I'm going to be late for some reason and won't be back home when my wife has an idea when I'm coming home, I have to turn my flip phone on and then I call her. The last time I called my wife from my flip phone, she couldn't believe it was me.  ;)
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 11:27:42 AM »
Bis ans Ende der Welt

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 11:55:48 AM »
The movie, or is that a prediction?
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 12:40:42 PM »
"NBA will consider shortening games due to millennial attention spans"?

What the article didn't say is that Silver thought of this after attending a Houston Rockets game and watching James Harden forgetting who he was guarding after the first 17 seconds.  Getting everyone to believe he's thinking about the FANS' attention spans was brilliant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal