Author Topic: Facebook and other stuff  (Read 5520 times)

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Facebook and other stuff
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 01:34:43 PM »
I only joined facebook to read other people's facebook pages.

I guess I also like the thought that if people look me up to see if I am dead yet, they'll see me SURFING!!!
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

dingfix

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 01:42:51 PM »
Last summer, nicest weather you can imagine, I did a surf check on my bike.  Lots of folks out walking in the sun, then I noticed something.... everyone, kids, couples, families all staring at their phones & swiping-away.  No one was talking, enjoying the view or even watching where they were going.   It was like being in a zombie apocalypse movie!!!!   Is this what life has become?   Truly worrying.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2017, 09:02:33 PM »

If you land on a website with a Facebook icon on it, your browser will try to connect to the servers at Facebook without your knowledge. How do I know this? Simple. In linux Mint, there is a utility application named, "Domain Blocker". I put Facebook's website address in there. So if I have a guest and he/she has a Facebook account and wants to visit the Facebook site to check on his "page", he/she cannot connect to Facebook no matter if he tries to using the Pale Moon browser, the SeaMonkey browser or the Firefox browser which are the three linux browsers I have installed in Mint. Since I don't have a Facebook account, I can't see anything on Facebook.

But, there are times when I visit some websites and when I scroll on down the page on some sites, I come upon a window on a page and in it, it says something to the effect; "Pale Moon cannot connect to the servers at Facebook. The site may be experiencing heavy internet traffic and/or the site may be having temporary problems and is down." But it's my Domain Blocker that is blocking Facebook trying to put a cookie or whatever Facebook is trying to do behind my back.

In other words, Facebook tracks it's registered account members all over the web, but it shouldn't be allowed to track someone who does not have a Facebook account. So I trust Zuckerberg about as far as I can throw an elephant.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

coldsup

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 01:05:37 AM »
Hey Nightwing....you said earlier you don't have any social media accounts.....afraid to say you do....you are posting on one ........online forums ARE social media.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 01:51:18 AM »

If you land on a website with a Facebook icon on it, your browser will try to connect to the servers at Facebook without your knowledge. How do I know this? Simple. In linux Mint, there is a utility application named, "Domain Blocker". I put Facebook's website address in there. So if I have a guest and he/she has a Facebook account and wants to visit the Facebook site to check on his "page", he/she cannot connect to Facebook no matter if he tries to using the Pale Moon browser, the SeaMonkey browser or the Firefox browser which are the three linux browsers I have installed in Mint. Since I don't have a Facebook account, I can't see anything on Facebook.

But, there are times when I visit some websites and when I scroll on down the page on some sites, I come upon a window on a page and in it, it says something to the effect; "Pale Moon cannot connect to the servers at Facebook. The site may be experiencing heavy internet traffic and/or the site may be having temporary problems and is down." But it's my Domain Blocker that is blocking Facebook trying to put a cookie or whatever Facebook is trying to do behind my back.

In other words, Facebook tracks it's registered account members all over the web, but it shouldn't be allowed to track someone who does not have a Facebook account. So I trust Zuckerberg about as far as I can throw an elephant.

He IS the Devil personified.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
Hey Nightwing....you said earlier you don't have any social media accounts.....afraid to say you do....you are posting on one ........online forums ARE social media.

But I don't consider the Zoner site to be in the same vein as with Facebook. How about I split hairs and play Devil's Advocate.

Example #1. A guest on the Zoner site can see all of the posts members create and see the photos even though a guest is not a registered member on the Zoner site. In reality the guest is a lurker. I did this for a few months and while being a lurker, since there was a lot of great info on this site, I decided to quit being a lurker and become a registered member on the Zoner site.

Example #2. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on my next statements.  Since I do not have a Facebook account, I can't see any Facebook posts which means I can't even lurk on Facebook.

Example #3. If a Facebook member posts a photo on Facebook and then sometime later; for whatever reason, decides to delete that photo off their account, does the photo really get deleted? Or is it still retained on a Facebook server someplace and if it does, does Facebook now own the photo? If it does, then Facebook can do whatever it wants to do with that photo even though the original owner of the photo may not like what Facebook does with the photo.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
No AI running the show here - we hope
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy