Author Topic: Nice Garage Sale Desktop Computer Find  (Read 5707 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Nice Garage Sale Desktop Computer Find
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 12:49:52 PM »
Nice find, NightWing. Now put an SSD in it with Ubuntu GNOME and you'll have a decent workstation!  ;D

SSD's aren't cheap. I can buy a new 2 TB regular 7200 rpm platter hard drive for $80 at my local computer shop in the small town I live in. If you know of some place where I can pick up a new 2 TB SSD for $80, just send me the link to the place. But I don't think that is going to happen.

SSDs aren't cheap per GB, but you really only need one small one for your boot volumes to get a huge performance boost. $45 for this highly rated 120GB one:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rtzv6h/kingston-internal-hard-drive-sv300s37a120g

Install Windows on it first, then your two linux OS's on it. All of them will boot, load apps, access swap space MUCH faster than on a 7200 RPM HD. Then use those big HDs as secondary disks for storing large media files, apps, etc. If you format them as NTFS, you can mount them all in whichever OS your boot. Or format one in NTFS and the other in your linux filesystem of choice and use one for all your files in Windows, and the other for all your NTFS files.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 10:23:24 PM »

Night, the image has to be under 1 MB, which is really small these days.

OP good effort.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 06:03:34 AM »

Then the image restriction of 1 MB definitely needs to be changed and the powers that be that run this site should take that into account.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 06:24:44 AM »
If you save an image as a JPEG and play with the resolution, it's pretty easy to get it under 1 MB. The JPEG format has several levels of compression. The more compression, the more detail you lose from the image, but that's not a huge problem. These images are for casual viewing, not print.

The size limit could be bigger — I agree — but that's not a tough hurdle. Play with the save settings of Photoshop or whatever image software you're using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 02:27:30 PM »
Just a follow up.

My "garage sale desktop computer find" has been loaded with 3 hardrives (2, 1TB hard drives and 1, 500 GB hard drive). The first hard drive is a 1 TB hard drive and it is running 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate. The second hard drive is also a 1 TB and it is running 64 bit linux Mint 18.1 in the Xfce desktop environment. The last hard drive is the 500 GB and it is running 64 bit linux Mint 18.1 with the Mate desktop environment.

All the operating systems are running "like a champ". My favorite is the hard drive running 64 bit linux Mint with the Xfce desktop environment. I had to go into the BIOS and make the linux Mint 18.1 with the Xfce desktop environment the default drive so anytime I turn on that computer, it boots straight into this this operating system. It's a nice backup desktop computer.

It's faster than the desktop computer I'm typing this message from.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 06:24:47 PM »

Then the image restriction of 1 MB definitely needs to be changed and the powers that be that run this site should take that into account.

It's easier to put image on here that are stored elsewhere. I've never used the image upload system on the zone, and I've posted a hell of a lot of images.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal