Author Topic: Nice Garage Sale Desktop Computer Find  (Read 5706 times)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Nice Garage Sale Desktop Computer Find
« on: January 13, 2017, 07:26:24 AM »
I'm a computer hobbyist. I own 4 computers (2 desktops, 2 laptops). One of our neighbor's husband died of cancer and his widow was selling his stuff at a garage sale. I went down to the garage sale and picked up a nice saltwater fly fishing reel which was in excellent physical condition.

The widow knows I also like computers and most of my knowledge knowledge is self taught by experimenting with different operating systems. Since the widow has an iPhone and an iPad, she said she didn't need her late husband's desktop tower computer. She asked me if I wanted her late husband's desktop. I told her I would have to look at it. I found it was an HP Envy desktop computer which originally came with Windows 8 since it still had the Windows 8 sticker on it so I knew it was a 2012 model.

It was running the Windows 10 Enterprise operating system. After looking at System in the Control Panel, the info given was 64 bit Windows Enterprise with 24 GB of ram memory. The speed of the i7 processor was 3.40 Mbps. I asked the widow if I could look inside the computer case. She said, "sure", since by this time she knew I was highly interested in it.

Once inside the case, I found an 800 watt power supply. There was a 3 hard drive bay too. But the icing on the cake for me, there were 4 memory slots. In the memory slots were two, 8 GB sticks and two, 4 GB sticks to total 24 GB of memory. Since there are no 6 GB sticks made, I immediately knew this computer memory wise could be maxed out at 32 GB. There was also an AMD graphics card. BTW, the inside of the case was almost dust free. I asked the widow how much did she want for it. She told me $150 cash. I told her the memory alone was worth $150. She said she just wanted to get rid of it because she would never use the desktop tower since she liked her iPhone and iPad.

I told her I would buy it, but I had to go to the bank first since I didn't have $150 in cash on me. After returning from the bank, I put $300 cash in her hand. She smiled and said to me, "Enjoy your new toy". I replied back with a big grin, "I certainly will".

Since I have 3, 7200 rpm hard drives laying in my drawer (two, 2 TB and one, 1 GB); I loaded all three hard drives in the bay and each hard drive has a different distro of linux on it. The first hard drive was loaded 64 bit linux Mint 18 Cinnamon, the second hard drive was loaded with 64 bit linux Mint 18 Mate and third hard drive was loaded with 64 bit linux Mint 18 Xfce. I guess by now you've figured out linux Mint is my favorite linux distro.

Now I had 5 computers. I don't need 5 computers so I called up one of our area churches and asked them if I could donate one of my older desktop tower computers. The woman on the line said, "Describe it." I told her it was a 2010 HPE desktop tower which originally came with 64 bit Windows 7 Ultimate operating system and I had recently re-installed Windows 7 Ultimate from one of my DVD disks. There was a 3 hard drive bay in it along with 24 GB of memory. The processor speed on this almost 7 year old computer was 2.93 Mbps so it still has plenty of "get up and go". The power supply was 450 watts too. They church said their desktop computer was very old and it was running 32 bit Windows XP. They said they would love having it. I told them I would reformat the hard drive, but a fresh copy of Ultimate on it, make sure all the drivers were up to day and then do the Windows Security updates for them. And I did so all parties concerned are now happy.

Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Nice Garage Sale Desktop Computer Find
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 08:33:30 AM »
Good job all around...always nice to replenish your karma by passing on good fortune.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »

You have all those computers and knowledge, and yet you still aren't able to post pictures?  ;D

Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 12:04:12 PM »
That's great you were able to make that work out well for everyone.

Only way it could have been better would have been if you'd also found a Langstrom 7" Gangly Wrench.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »
Hold the PRESS.  HOLD THE PRESS.

I need a new desktop.  I was just trying to figure out who to reach out to. 

I am currently using a Gateway SX2801-05 purchased for $525 back in Dec 2012.  It was a great computer at the time Windows 7, 1 TB spinning drive, 6 GB RAM.  It has been good for editing video, which is the most demanding thing that I do. 

HOWEVER: Moore's law should have progressed things along.  When I research computers, Windows ONLY, I am quickly lost and NOT seeing all the performance improvements I would have hoped for.

Criteria: 
  • Fast for video editing
  • Cost: $300 - $800 (not to be chincy, but I am and I don't need a $5,000 gaming machine)
  • Energy efficient: In California the top tier electric rate is $0.40 per KW
  • SSD would be great but if it breaks the bank??
  • Windows 7 / 10 ID care to much - advise
  • GB RAM - More better whatever is economical

Thoughts?  Anyone got one for sale????

I haven't done much 4K editing but that's where I am headed. 

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 01:35:37 PM »
You can get really good computers coming off business leases at very low prices
on ebay.  Of course, there is a bit of risk but look for high satisfaction rates and
read the reviews.  Often they will be selling a number of identical computers.

What I've found is the hoped for improvement of a "blazing fast new computer"
typically comes up short, especially for regular software - word processing, spreadsheet,
database, etc. - very little gain.

However, I read there are good gains for specialized software but often the graphics
processing or hard disk processing is the most important nowadays.

SSD's have come way down in price - nice fast boot and definitely faster than platters.
Highly recommended.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 07:08:21 PM »
Hold the PRESS.  HOLD THE PRESS.

I need a new desktop.  I was just trying to figure out who to reach out to. 

I am currently using a Gateway SX2801-05 purchased for $525 back in Dec 2012.  It was a great computer at the time Windows 7, 1 TB spinning drive, 6 GB RAM.  It has been good for editing video, which is the most demanding thing that I do. 

HOWEVER: Moore's law should have progressed things along.  When I research computers, Windows ONLY, I am quickly lost and NOT seeing all the performance improvements I would have hoped for.

Criteria: 
  • Fast for video editing
  • Cost: $300 - $800 (not to be chincy, but I am and I don't need a $5,000 gaming machine)
  • Energy efficient: In California the top tier electric rate is $0.40 per KW
  • SSD would be great but if it breaks the bank??
  • Windows 7 / 10 ID care to much - advise
  • GB RAM - More better whatever is economical

Thoughts?  Anyone got one for sale????

I haven't done much 4K editing but that's where I am headed.
I would look at this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221275

I got this monitor a few months ago. AMAZING compared to what I was using before.
Knowing what I know now I would have gone up to the 28".
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236690

Nor sure about the energy efficiency, really didn't spend more than a minute looking, didn't notice the hard drive and what is going on with that but plenty of oomph for your 4k editing, cheap, so maybe.......
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:11:37 PM by lucabrasi »

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »
Nice find, NightWing. Now put an SSD in it with Ubuntu GNOME and you'll have a decent workstation!  ;D

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

You have all those computers and knowledge, and yet you still aren't able to post pictures?  ;D

Off Topic:

Like I said in the previous year, I'm not a power user in either Windows or Linux. Just a non-technical user who self taught himself which puts me in the middle between a computer illiterate and a power user. Somethings I do well and I somethings I don't.

The Zoner site doesn't allow me to post pictures directly from my computer to this site by the way of an attachment. I know this because I tried it in both the Windows and linux Mint operating systems. All I get is an error. On other sites I'm a registered member of, I can post pictures to those sites as an attachment. The Zoner site is the only one I have a problem with so I figure it is by design.
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »
Nice find, NightWing. Now put an SSD in it with Ubuntu GNOME and you'll have a decent workstation!  ;D

SSD's aren't cheap. I can buy a new 2 TB regular 7200 rpm platter hard drive for $80 at my local computer shop in the small town I live in. If you know of some place where I can pick up a new 2 TB SSD for $80, just send me the link to the place. But I don't think that is going to happen.

As for Ubuntu, I don't care for the Ubuntu distro or the Gnome desktop environment. I've also tried Debian, Manjaro, SolydX, Chalet and Zorin. But I just prefer Mint and I started with Mint 14 in December of 2012. Mint just makes me "comfortable" using it. Mint 18.1 (Serena) Xfce should be released to the linux public in about 7 days (or less) and I'm looking forward to it by taking it for a "test ride".

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 11:57:40 PM »
The easiest way to post pictures to this site (for me anyway) is to stick them on any site and paste a link into the IMG shortcode. Like [**img]http://www.ponostyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/canyon2.JPG[/img**]  without the asterisks. That's easiest for me since I have a number of websites. But you can use flickr or any cloud picture site and copy the link to that photo.

This is what it does when I take out the asterisks:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:00:20 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 04:32:06 AM »
whoops.....

Nice find Night Wing. 850 watts and 32 gb capable is pretty impressive to be sure and nice to find a good home for your "extra" stuff. 
I hope if nothing else you can get the photo posting here figured out so we can see what your new reel lands.

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 09:32:28 AM »
@PonoBill

I've got a Photobucket account so I might have to use the coding from there so I can post pictures on this site. I haven't used my Photobucket account in years though. Just hope PB hasn't changed too much since the last time I logged into PB. I'll try and post a picture from one in my album. Hope it takes.

When Warren (WarDog) of SUP Sports asked me what color I wanted for my Hammer I ordered, I chose the picture below of one of his previous Hammers he built for someone else in the seafoam green color. Mine looks just like it. At least now I know how to post a picture.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2017, 12:43:46 PM »

Good work Mr Wing. Looking forward to some awesome Texas pics.

I need to get out and take some photos of where I paddle as well. Maybe this week.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal