Author Topic: Dakine is improving their leashes for 2017.  (Read 4886 times)

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Dakine is improving their leashes for 2017.
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 01:00:36 PM »
Beefing up your leash cord to 11mm moves the point of failure to the rail saver. Beefing up your rail saver moves the point of failure to the cuff. Beefing up the cuff moves the point of failure to your leg. . . .

I am leaning now towards double leashes in bigger conditions.   Go with 7 mm but double down on the leash.  It takes a bit of artistry to get them to work doubled up e.g. make them equal lengths, reconnect at the swivel, disregard the swivel and attach one to each of two leash plugs . . .

I find that the failure in the middle tends to be pretty random.  If you double down you diversify the random factor.  Still probably best to swap them out regularly.

I am still loving the thimbles (white hoops).  All the terminal tackle is reusable so when a leash does break or needs to be replaced I just rebuild.  No need to spend $40 every time.

I once did a calculation on my 20 foot leash and found that the material had 'necked' where it was tied but did not fail.  The diameter had permanently been reduced by 40% e.g. from 7.37 mm to 4.48 mm.  Assuming the entire length of the leash was also stretched this much it meant, by the conservation of mass, that the area was reduced to 37% and therefore the length of the leash must have TRIPLED to nearly 60 feet.  While this seems horrifying it also means that the leash was dissipating energy over time.  This reduces the impulse and reduces the total pull reducing the likelihood of breaking the leash, breaking the cuff, pulling off the back of the board . . . .  Stretching is Good!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 01:08:41 PM by Beasho »

OUTSIDEWAVE

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 05:11:42 PM »
A full body harness with:
-15mm leash
-built-in pfd
-built-in comp vest rib protection
-built-in hydration pack
-multiple go-pro mounts
-hat leash with patented 'pono hat quick release'
-flip-up drone launch pad
-drone waterproof tablet control mount
-waterproof phone pocket
-usb port

Oh and don't forget your  5 minute   air tank
SEA BIRDS THEY DO TOUCH AND GO AS THE WORLD JUST TANGOES BY.... SO I SADDLE UP MY SEAHORSE WITH MY FLYROD IN MY HAND.... 10'3 King custom  10'6"  c4 da beachboy

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
Nope, no air tank. That would be a serious mistake. Fast track to ripping a hole in your lungs.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal