Author Topic: Dakine is improving their leashes for 2017.  (Read 4871 times)

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
Dakine is improving their leashes for 2017.
« on: January 13, 2017, 02:37:25 AM »

Dakine has a new big wave leash coming out and will be releasing a whole new line of improved leashes this year so this article says.

http://magicseaweed.com/news/a-leash-big-wave-surfers-can-swear-by/9857/
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Dakine is improving their leashes for 2017.
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 06:20:50 AM »
I've got two leashes and one of them is a Dakine. It's not really made for big waves. Just a normal 10' length. Thanks for the info since I'll have to add the Dakine website to my bookmarks.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 06:58:14 AM »
About time. I've been testing my leashes to failure for years--I replace them often, and every year I connect one end to a eyebolt on my garage, the other end to my truck, and pull them apart. They fail in all kinds of places.

11mm is extremely thick. I'm using 9mm for mine and they're pretty bodacious. But a triple wrapped cuff?? That sounds terrible--a recipe for getting a leg broken or drowning in an entanglement incident. I've had one with a conventional cuff leash and nearly died--just luck that it popped free.

I'd part the thing out and use it for a waist leash. 11mm--sheesh. But molded connectors? I need to see one of these.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 07:03:00 AM »
Pono - in your testing, which components do you see failing? Cuffs? Connectors? The leash cord itself? Does pre-inspection of these parts give you any indication of imminent failure? I'm wondering if I should be able to spot a potential failure on my leashes before it happens in the water, especially with components made of plastic or other materials that don't wear and fray in an obvious way as they weaken.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 07:26:39 AM »
it  might  have  a release  pin  in addition  to  the  triple  wrap  cuff. It  should  anyway .

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 07:31:18 AM »
Yes, 11mm is fat, like .45cal fat. 

I wonder if at some point a high stretch (energy absorbing) line might be better.  Watch that rebound!   But a true leg rope for sure... ;D

I would have to think there would be a chicken loop on the cuff Tom.  I think that safety feature makes sense for pretty much any leash.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 08:13:10 AM »
I wonder if at some point a high stretch (energy absorbing) line might be better.  Watch that rebound!   But a true leg rope for sure... ;D

Sorry, the term "Beaning" is already is use for WooHooIThinkImPlanning. Your wish to have "Getting Beaned" used for being killed by the rebound of a surfboard is too close and will be confusing.

So, no. You may not use a high stretch line to kill surfers.

Next.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 08:17:12 AM by yugi »

RichH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
Reminds of the 70's when leashes were made with bungee cords.  Took a hard hit on my forehead from the nose of my board and I'm glad it didn't take out my eye.
Rich

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 09:12:28 AM »
I earned myself a scratched cornea on my 18th birthday (1979) exactly that way.  By then we had moved from bungees to rubber tubing, which still had a fast rebound rate.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 09:29:04 AM »
Beefing up your leash cord to 11mm moves the point of failure to the rail saver. Beefing up your rail saver moves the point of failure to the cuff. Beefing up the cuff moves the point of failure to your leg.  :P   I'd MUCH rather have my leash snap and go for a swim than have my ankle snap and go for an ambulance ride.

Beefing things up is all well and good, but I prefer to keep the failure points in my gear and not my body.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 09:36:40 AM »
Pono - in your testing, which components do you see failing? Cuffs? Connectors? The leash cord itself? Does pre-inspection of these parts give you any indication of imminent failure? I'm wondering if I should be able to spot a potential failure on my leashes before it happens in the water, especially with components made of plastic or other materials that don't wear and fray in an obvious way as they weaken.

Everywhere. Cord failures are fairly common as are pull-through of the molded part. The thin flexi connection to the cuff also fails. But I've also seen the cross pins (screws actually) pull through the molded connector (elongates the hole until it fails) cuff pull apart when the velcro gives out. Leash savers tear through at the fold. Swivels break in half. I test every leash until it breaks, and some hold up pretty well. It's no uncommon for a 10' leash to stretch to 30+ feet before it busts. Especially the thin ones.

Creatures of leisure leashes are the only ones that are consistent. They pull the swivel out of the molded cuff because there is no cross pin. That would sound like a big flaw, but it takes a lot of pressure to do that. I've seen them with the swivel partway pulled out due to normal yanks, but they still took a lot of force to pull the rest of the way.

From what I've seen, an 11mm leash stoutly connected to an ankle with a triple layer cuff would apply a hell of a lot of force. At some point, I'd want this stuff to break. I might use that mega-stout cord with a waist leash, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want it around my ankle, even if it lets me streamline to get pulled fast out of the impact zone. Then again, I'm not surfing Peahi. Never have, never will. A little over DOH with mushburgers and a lagoon or channel to escape is about my max.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 09:51:45 AM »
Beefing up your leash cord to 11mm moves the point of failure to the rail saver. Beefing up your rail saver moves the point of failure to the cuff. Beefing up the cuff moves the point of failure to your leg.  :P   I'd MUCH rather have my leash snap and go for a swim than have my ankle snap and go for an ambulance ride.

Beefing things up is all well and good, but I prefer to keep the failure points in my gear and not my body.

If you're going to go that route, the leash failure needs to be incorporated into the leash by design so that you can depend on it to break when you want it to.

To me it seems crazy to be not using a waist leash in big waves anyway, especially with a standup board where you can be dragged underwater by your ankle for long distances.

I've been using my waist leash whenever the surf is well overhead because I hate being dragged by my ankle and not being able to breath. I'm going to be 60 this year so I'm not as young as I used to be.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:22:37 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »
A full body harness with:
-15mm leash
-built-in pfd
-built-in comp vest rib protection
-built-in hydration pack
-multiple go-pro mounts
-hat leash with patented 'pono hat quick release'
-flip-up drone launch pad
-drone waterproof tablet control mount
-waterproof phone pocket
-usb port
-______________
-______________

I've had an old 9mm sup leash I got years ago. It tore through the tail of my board my than once in OH surf. I've been pulled like a torpedo under water a number of times with that leash. And it did pull me out of the impact zone. It doesn't stretch much, so you go for a ride.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 10:27:59 AM »
For me, the failure point on DaKine leashes has always been where the swivel of the leash connects to the railsaver. The swivel just connects to a nylon cord that is tucked away into the fabric of the railsaver, making it difficult to visually inspect. I'm sure does fine on linear high stress tests, but metal on nylon is going to fray over time, shorting the life span of the leash. Unless they have completely redesigned that connection, these new leashes aren't going to have longer lifespans, just keep you attached to your board in nastier wipe outs.

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
Dakine makes a lot of great products and I used to be a big fan, but I stopped buying their leashes a long time ago, consistent failure. Glad to see they are making changes.
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal