Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344457 times)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #1125 on: March 24, 2017, 03:03:18 PM »
Unfortunately yes!
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1126 on: March 24, 2017, 03:07:29 PM »
Unfortunately yes!

He did get the Dakota access pipeline through.  I think that's it.  Oil could be flowing as early as next week.  But he's not crowing about that one very much.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 24, 2017, 03:17:24 PM »
Has Trump had ANY successes yet?
Apparently with Trump, defeats may be bigger than de hands.

SUP Leave

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: March 24, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »

He is likely going to get Gorsuch appointed and that (IMO) will be a major success. Gorsuch has been great in the appointment hearings.

The AHCA was a big failure for both Trump and the republicans, the immigration EO was just pandering. The EO will not cost Trump or the R's many votes, promising to repeal something for 7 years and then giving up after 3 weeks is a bad, bad look.
Make paddleboarding great again!

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: March 24, 2017, 03:51:08 PM »
Apparently with Trump, defeats may be bigger than de hands.
Nice! :)

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 24, 2017, 04:10:02 PM »
PDX - Dat funny!

My "unfortunately yes" referred to his becoming president..UNFORTUNATELY!

Gotta love the blame the darn dems spinorama. Even Nancy P. Knew rookie mistake. If you don't have the votes..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

littleray

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 24, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »
This pic is from the Zone.
Wow, I can almost hear her saying, "Moose and squarel".
That was Melenia Trumps first task as the First Lady:"To find Moose and Squirrel"

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 24, 2017, 06:42:46 PM »
I watched some of the confirmation hearings. It affirmed one thing--politicians are all psychos. Trump is just a different flavor. All the questions were designed to let whoever was asking it grandstand for a little while. I thought I hated business meetings, because every question from the peanut gallery is designed to showcase the brilliance of the questioner and suck up to the most senior person in the room. Those people are pikers. I need a button at my desk that vaporizes dickheads, but there wouldn't be anyone left in DC but staffers.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1133 on: March 24, 2017, 06:43:59 PM »
Here's my addition to the shit show. 

Typical USA move.  "That's our island.  See? we mapped it.  Don't like it?  Build a navy.  Have a nice day and get off my land."

http://youtu.be/_H6pXsiOrVg

Support your local shaper

mjb1959

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: March 24, 2017, 06:55:19 PM »

First 100 Days:
1.  Institute a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health)

2. A requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated 

3.  A lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government

4. I will announce our withdrawal from the Trans-Pacific Partnership

5.  Lift the Obama-Clinton roadblocks and allow vital energy infrastructure projects, like the Keystone Pipeline, to move forward

6. Begin the process of selecting a replacement for Justice Scalia from one of the 20 judges on my list, who will uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States

7. Begin the wall
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:57:32 PM by mjb1959 »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 24, 2017, 06:56:39 PM »
Interesting. I used to live in a house in Forest Heights in Portland, which is a large McMansion development owned by Naru ltd. The Wikipedia listing for Naru documents the sad tale of the disappearing island and accompanying environmental disaster, and the last few lines mention Forest Heights, as one of the few beneficial investments the islanders made. In other words, I lived in the neighborhood that bird poop made.

MJB, I agree with the list, and I think the Gorsuch nomination is a good one. But that's pretty scant stuff for the first hundred days. In Trumps defense, I don't think he expected to win, and his team didn't do the usual prep work to take power--they started from a clean sheet. On the other hand, WTF--didn't expect to win? Would anyone accept that as an excuse from anyone else? He needs to stay the fuck off twitter and act like a president, or he's going to dig a hole that the republicans will never crawl out of. Probably already has.

And anyone out there with liberal leanings shouldn't celebrate--the left is going to be the next in the barrel. Somehow the swings need to damp out. Obama did a lot of damage and little good. Trump is amplifying that. What's next? Probably not good.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:02:55 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mjb1959

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: March 24, 2017, 08:20:28 PM »
good points ponobill,
bush lead to obama and his actions did bring us to trump.

i for one was against this bill.
i say let obamacare fail, and then repeal with no pressure to replace...

and as i told all my friends, the supreme court was the only reason i needed to support trump.
fyi i voted for a dem for sherrif and county recorder here in az.
what really amazes me are the "down the line libs and cons"

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1137 on: March 25, 2017, 12:21:50 AM »
I saw the Gorsuch hearing and he appeared qualified and spoke eloquently.  In these times just hearing someone speak like that is refreshing.  But because those Dems on the hill are still steaming mad that Garland wasn't even given a hearing, they're not going to be rational about Gorsuch's nomination.  Revenge is a fact of life in DC. and it doesn't help that the current President seems to be setting the rules of the political game with that us vs them paradigm.  He relishes in the bully role and openly flaunts his vindictiveness.   So the atmosphere is as bad as it can possibly be right now for any conciliatory overtures.  A good man will meet strong resistance though he will possibly slide through if Dems are smart, in order to block the next appointment if Ginsburg doesn't last.

This Ryan/Trumpcare also failed because of Trump's inability to build a consensus with his own party before he went to bat.  He had no idea how to close the deal.  If he could have at least communicated with some Dems to help him out, those wackos on the far right (Freedom/Tea party) might not have felt so emboldened to challenge him.  As was, he called the Dems every name in the book and tried to be the tough guy with the wacko right.  Ryan isn't in the Tea party fold and they felt bullied.  They're wackos but don't like being bullied.  So he failed.   

People voted for him because he wasn't a politician and I can dig that but as we can see now, you got to be able to play the game.  Reagan was a movie star but adjusted well to that ability.  I'm not one who thought he was some kind of GOP god but he did know how to reach across the isle.  This is what a President should do.  With the increasing amount of smoke surrounding him, anything he tries to do will be a severe challenge.

The Tea party continues to be the wild card that is essentially creating a three party circus.  The were the GOP's attack dog during the Obama years but now they're off the leash.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 25, 2017, 02:40:40 PM »

Headmount, that is an interesting observation that the Tea Party is a third party. I always just looked at it as a subset of the Republicans, but now I think you're right that it is a third party. I has just voted along Republican party lines, and agrees with many of their ideologies, especially their anti-Democratic stand.

On a different note, I find this article very insightful. I've always been pro-imigration, if it was done differently and look at 'build the wall' as a non-solution to a somewhat imaginary problem. The jist of the article:

ABSTRACT
From the rhetoric during and since the 2016 presidential election, one would think that the United States continues to experience a surge of low-skilled immigration. Although in previous decades such labor inflows certainly occurred, since the Great Recession U.S. borders have become a far less active place when it comes to the net arrival of foreign labor. The number of undocumented immigrants has declined in absolute terms, while the overall population of low-skilled foreign-born workers has remained stable. In this paper, we examine how the scale and composition of low-skilled immigration in the United States has evolved over time and how relative income growth and demographic shifts in the Western Hemisphere have contributed to the recent immigration slowdown. Because major source countries for U.S. immigration are now seeing and will continue to see weak labor-supply growth relative to the United States, the future immigration of young low-skilled workers looks set to decline further, whether or not U.S. immigration policies take a more draconian tur
n.

the article can be found here

https://www.brookings.edu/bpea-articles/along-the-watchtower-the-rise-and-fall-of-u-s-low-skilled-immigration/

starman

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 25, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »
I think this is one of the best analysis of what is wrong with Washington and why it's not going to change anytime soon.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/03/the-republican-waterloo/520833/

As far as Gorsuch is concerned he is not someone I would depend on for making the most basic common sense decisions from the bench. The "Frozen Trucker" decision is quite remarkable;

http://www.salon.com/2017/03/22/al-frankens-grilling-of-gorsuch-exposes-the-heartless-cruelty-behind-conservative-legal-philosophy/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal