Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344473 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #1020 on: March 19, 2017, 06:23:13 PM »
this guy got it tho.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: March 19, 2017, 07:46:55 PM »
I hear Miss Piggy is in, but no more Elmo.

That's one part of the GOP platform that I never subscribed to.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: March 19, 2017, 08:20:12 PM »
They promise they'll make cuts, but they never eliminate the pork.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #1023 on: March 20, 2017, 03:51:21 AM »
Thanks bean. Sniffed around and Meals wasn't targeted directly, but three different Federal Programs that feed (pun) it will be affected. Truth is hard to find. Still probably not fully informed.

We have 54 Billion to add to an already absurd military budget but we have to cut after school programs.  Why the cuts?  Not proven effective.  Clearly the same standard is not being applied to the military.  Same argument that was given for the proposed HUD cuts which help fund the state funded Meals on Wheels programs.  All are indicative of a callous disregard for real hardship. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/trump-budget-casualty-afterschool-programs-for-16-million-kids-most-are-poor/2017/03/16/78802430-0a6f-11e7-b77c-0047d15a24e0_story.html?utm_term=.9625bbf330eb
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 04:03:59 AM by Admin »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: March 20, 2017, 04:03:38 AM »
Well atleast some people decided to correct their kognitive dissonans by changing their mind:

Gallup- Job approval upon hitting 60 days in office:

Carter 75

Reagan 60

HW Bush 56

Clinton 53

W Bush 58

Obama 63

Trump... 37

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: March 20, 2017, 06:40:44 AM »
We have 54 Billion to add to an already absurd military budget but we have to cut after school programs.  Why the cuts?  Not proven effective.  Clearly the same standard is not being applied to the military. 

After school programs are most efficiently administered at the state and local level.  The further upstream a program is funded, the greater the administrative cost and the greater the chance of fraud and corruption.

Google "Community Development Block Grant corruption", consider a variety of news sources.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #1026 on: March 20, 2017, 07:00:37 AM »
This is the justification for cutting funding to those valuable programs so that we can afford to build 15 Billion dollar wall?  For adding 54 Billion to to a 600 Billion dollar military budget?

Our money may in some part be spent inefficiently, so let's burn it instead.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: March 20, 2017, 07:21:39 AM »
Waste. Military, military, military. Medical.

I still have some screws that used to be in my leg. List price - thousands..

Agree with admin here. Waste and inefficiency in service programs - so what? Where would that end up in a prioritized list of things that matter?
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: March 20, 2017, 07:38:37 AM »
Cutting federal funding (in this case federal grants) does not mean that the programs will die.  It does mean that they will need to find state and local funding.  This could be disruptive and force agencies to find better and more innovative solutions.

Everyone knows the "wall" is total BS.  But, concerns about Russia, China, North Korea and Iran are real.  It's just a matter of time for the next land grab. 

No question, $54b is a ridiculous amount on top of the $600+b or so already in the budget.  However, it does send a message, and in the long run could keep us out of a land war.  Bla, bla, bla, yadda, yadda... ;D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:40:30 AM by Bean »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #1029 on: March 20, 2017, 07:57:26 AM »
Cutting federal funding (in this case federal grants) does not mean that the programs will die.  It does mean that they will need to find state and local funding.  This could be disruptive and force agencies to find better and more innovative solutions.

Jimmy, don't think of it as me firing you, think of it as a home-otion.  An opportunity for personal growth. 

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: March 20, 2017, 08:27:24 AM »
Hmm, can Jimmy run MIG or TIG?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: March 20, 2017, 09:05:46 AM »
On the one hand, cutting federal spending on education has a long tradition, and it's one reason why Ms. DeVos appointment is trivial (so we got that going for us). the feds contribute 8.3 percent of the money for education. Of course, it's important money wherever people are poorer, and so it's a shit thing to do, and the republicans will pay for that in spades.  I don't get how these folks could be so tone deaf. You want to send a message about defense--continue spending $600 Billion on stuff we would like to never use. Add $54 Billion--that's political suicide.

The decline of federal spending on education been going on a long time, and it's not such a bad thing. Federal money spent on local issues is wasted and most federal programs have been ineffective and even destructive. Show me a teacher who thinks NCLB is helpful--I think an assessment of teacher performance sounds great, but only the feds would expect that means all the kids need to be above average. The distribution of federal money is random at best, corrupt at worst. But with this budget, Trump and the republicans are setting the stage for blowback. And that means the pendulum oscillation gets worse. What we need are moderates, but that's not what we are going to get.

I think the midterms are over. the democrats win. And the government stalls dead.  The republicans hated Obama, so they elected someone that EVERYONE gets to hate. On the plus side, a few more cycles of this crap and we won't have to worry about term limits. We'll have "throw these bums out" every two years.

Of course, they might put Hillary up again in three and a half years. Here's a question--would Trump get a chance to stand for re-election? We could be in for a do-over of the two lousiest choices we've had since Dewey-Truman.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 09:11:01 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: March 20, 2017, 10:15:59 AM »
Ball point pens

When NASA started sending astronauts into space they quickly discovered that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity.

To combat this problem, Congress approved a program and NASA scientists spent a decade and over $165 million developing a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, on almost any surface and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C.

The Russians used a pencil...

Your taxes are due again in April
It takes a quiver to do that.

Chilly

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1033 on: March 20, 2017, 10:45:13 AM »
Ball point pens

When NASA started sending astronauts into space they quickly discovered that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity.

To combat this problem, Congress approved a program and NASA scientists spent a decade and over $165 million developing a pen that writes in zero gravity, upside down, on almost any surface and at temperatures ranging from below freezing to over 300 C.

Careful, there's a lot of BS out there. Question everything. 

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp
NSP 2016 12'6 Surf Race Pro

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: March 20, 2017, 11:28:31 AM »
Ball point pens

Myth. Or in non-marketing terms, total bullshit. The zero gravity pen was invented by Fisher Pen, who claimed that they did spend ONE million dollars to perfect it, but my marketing mind says that's bullshit too, but I like it.

I'm an accidental pen collector--meaning that I like them, and so my wife, always looking for something I'd like as a gift that doesn't have a good chance of killing me, sometimes buys me pens, thinking that because I have a lot, I must want more. I don't have the heart to tell her I have enough. My accidental collection includes two fisher pens (neither of which work now), and the first pen to be stamped from titanium--which at the time was a big "fuck you" to the rest of the world, who didn't have quite as much titanium-working tech as we did. The tech used to make that pen was considered classified--albeit at the lowest level, much as impulse steam traps were classified after Rickover toured a Russian nuke sub and saw how clumsy their steam traps were.

You too can own a Fisher Space Pen. the original astronaut version is 60 bucks. Nice pen, well balanced, has a hefty feel to it. I see that Fisher has pressurized refills available, thanks for reminding me of this story, I ordered two refills. The pressurized refill is what makes the pen work, and is the reason I figure the one million dollar story is a load of crap. How much would it take to seal refills in a pressurized atmosphere with a little plunger on the air/ink interface to shove on the ink? Anyone would understand that would solve the gravity problem, and I could make a contraption to pressurize and seal refills in an afternoon.

Anyway, I know the Fisher story, and have heard the "fake news" pen vs pencil story a thousand times. And it's bullshit.

Recent additions to my pen "collection":

This one is actually pretty cool for a geek like me. The cap design represents spacetime curved by a spherical mass, and the barrel is engraved with Einstein's most famous equations.

But I digress.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:55:54 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal