Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344563 times)

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #720 on: March 01, 2017, 05:47:21 PM »
The Danish have one of the highest rates of personal taxation in the world. But this also means that they have reduced inequalities between people. Which may be one reason why they regularly come out one of the top countries of the world in terms of the happiness of the population.

http://www.livescience.com/51325-happiest-countries-2014.html

So, reduced taxation does not necessarily lead to happiness.

I guess it depends whether you want to be miserable and far richer (or poorer) than your neighbour, or happy and more similar in wealth :) :)
We should invade Denmark next, wouldn't hurt to have a steady stream of tall blondes entering the country.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 01, 2017, 11:15:09 PM »
Well, the Dutch are even taller :)

Actually, growth in average height might be one way to measure the success of a country, since it is linked to nutrition and other health factors. In this respect the US is falling, relative to other countries. The UK doesn't fare too well either, which is something for us to consider, alongside growth in obesity rates. Socioeconomic inequality in our country has been growing over the last couple of decades, and it is probably dragging us down in terms of overall health statistics.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/science/countries-tallest-men-women-revealed-8493112

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 02, 2017, 10:24:21 PM »
SUP leave, do you carry a US passport or certified birth certificate with you at all times. Next time you're stopped for a broken taillight, would you be able to produce documents on the spot that proves you are in the US legally? Think it won't happen? Ask the passengers that were deplaning in NY from a domestic flight.

Great point. I think most will not consider unintended consequences before it hits them in the face. The poor vetting of executive orders is unnerving to me.

I still wonder where Stone's boundaries are. How many people in the government can have secret meetings with Russia before it seems like a pattern worth investigating?

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 03, 2017, 04:18:41 AM »
Don't forget the pile of dead Russian diplomats.
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 03, 2017, 07:39:34 AM »
^ what's that saying again?

Where's there's smoke...

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: March 03, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
You won't drink the tapwater in the US but you will in India? ....that tells me all I need to know of your argument.
You spent a lot of time on the ground in India lately?
No but i design water treatment plants for a living and have for the last 30 years and know well the level of sophistication of US facilities vs indian....the comment is ludicrous....as is yours.

The question always is what you are treating for and what is being tested.

https://public.tableau.com/profile/alec.meltzer#!/vizhome/GettheLeadOutMap/Sheet2 

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 03, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
No but i design water treatment plants for a living and have for the last 30 years and know well the level of sophistication of US facilities vs indian....the comment is ludicrous....as is yours.

Oh man you are going to be in so much trouble...once Trump dissolve the EPA ("the department of the environmental") there is no need to treat the water anymore...its not dangerous if you don't know the level of contaminants.

...but I have to admit that is a pretty cool sounding and important job. I have some friends that are working on a company to make fast reliable water analysis..as in real time stuff. Maybe you guys could use that. :-)

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 03, 2017, 11:43:19 AM »

Oh man you are going to be in so much trouble...once Trump dissolve the EPA ("the department of the environmental") there is no need to treat the water anymore...its not dangerous if you don't know the level of contaminants.
taut, you're using smaller fire power, I know you can do better than that.
The republicans are not only against clean water, but also clean air, clean food, all immigration, puppies and kittens, but they love pollution, the Russians, the North Koreans, and can't wait for the Earth to burn up from global warming.
You're slipping man, get with it.
It takes a quiver to do that.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 03, 2017, 12:14:25 PM »
The republicans are not only against clean water, but also clean air, clean food, all immigration, puppies and kittens, but they love pollution, the Russians, the North Koreans, and can't wait for the Earth to burn up from global warming.
PUPPIES AND KITTENS?!?  :o  OK, I haven't been following politics too closely but now they've crossed a line!

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #729 on: March 03, 2017, 12:18:57 PM »
The Danish have one of the highest rates of personal taxation in the world. But this also means that they have reduced inequalities between people. Which may be one reason why they regularly come out one of the top countries of the world in terms of the happiness of the population.

I guess it depends whether you want to be miserable and far richer (or poorer) than your neighbour, or happy and more similar in wealth :) :)

I think comparing Denmark to how things can be here is a stretch.  I have a few friends who live there and yes they are quite happy, but most people who were born and grew up there have a whole different mentality from most Americans.  Plus Denmark is a much smaller country.  There is no one size fits all way to govern.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 03, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »
"We want to promote a society in which it is easier to support yourself and your family before you hand over a large share of your income to fund the costs of society," Danish PM Rasmussen

This ideology could apply to any government, big or small.  I recognize that it could lead to a good or bad outcome.

But, I believe that this ideology generally works out best in the long run.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 03, 2017, 12:42:56 PM »
Years ago I read that countries that do well on livability/health/education/etc. indexes share the trait of being homogenous societies, and it seems true when you think of which countries those are--especially the low-population Scandinavian ones.  The idea was that it's easier to run a country successfully when you don't have large cultural, religious or other differences among the population.  In contrast, it's a lot harder in a place like the U.S., with a large, diverse population.   Somewhere like Norway or Denmark in respect to size or diversity is more comparable to Minnesota than it is to the entire U.S., and Minnesota is certainly easier to run than the U.S.

But over the last several years, as those idyllic-in-comparison-to-here countries take on immigrants, it looks like things like racism weren't absent from them because people weren't racist, but because there just weren't many people of other races for racism to show itself.  As those countries become more diverse, they may become more comparable to the U.S., and may start having problems more similar to what the U.S. has been known for for decades.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 03, 2017, 12:48:06 PM »
taut, you're using smaller fire power, I know you can do better than that.
You're slipping man, get with it.

Lets not pretend that Trump has not by himself and via his staff repeatedly said that they want to disband and close the EPA. Not sure why you do not recognize that. Or maybe you just don't take his word for it?

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 03, 2017, 12:54:16 PM »

I think comparing Denmark to how things can be here is a stretch.  I have a few friends who live there and yes they are quite happy, but most people who were born and grew up there have a whole different mentality from most Americans.  Plus Denmark is a much smaller country.  There is no one size fits all way to govern.

I think it is a mistake to completely disregard some solutions just because the context doesn't exactly line up with the current context. Obviously, it has to be taken into consideration. But the idea that things cannot scale or that you cannot even get inspired by a solution is odd because it prohibits learning. That argument can be used to disregard just about anything.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: March 03, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »
Years ago I read that countries that do well on livability/health/education/etc. indexes share the trait of being homogenous societies, and it seems true when you think of which countries those are--especially the low-population Scandinavian ones.  The idea was that it's easier to run a country successfully when you don't have large cultural, religious or other differences among the population.  In contrast, it's a lot harder in a place like the U.S., with a large, diverse population.   Somewhere like Norway or Denmark in respect to size or diversity is more comparable to Minnesota than it is to the entire U.S., and Minnesota is certainly easier to run than the U.S.

But over the last several years, as those idyllic-in-comparison-to-here countries take on immigrants, it looks like things like racism weren't absent from them because people weren't racist, but because there just weren't many people of other races for racism to show itself.  As those countries become more diverse, they may become more comparable to the U.S., and may start having problems more similar to what the U.S. has been known for for decades.

I would agree PDX

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal