Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 343924 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #660 on: February 25, 2017, 09:38:19 PM »
The illegals "problem" doesn't exist. Ten years from now we will be paying these same people to come here.

Yup. Bush had this one right.

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #661 on: February 26, 2017, 05:00:43 AM »
Its funny.  The Carrier plant we "saved" from being built in Mexico will be almost entirely automated.  Don't fear Jose, recognize XT-27.  Incentifying select manufacturers to produce here = government funding of automation for these select groups.  Great for big business, not so much for workers and wages.  All under the guise of bringing home jobs.  Perfect.

Keeping eyes on the ball now, why are small businesses paying for large businesses to automate?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/indiana-gives-7-million-in-tax-breaks-to-keep-carrier-jobs-1480608461
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:10:38 AM by Admin »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: February 26, 2017, 05:32:09 AM »
Hell, I never worried about Jose it's Sancho that I wonder about.
Gesundheit!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:43:11 AM by lucabrasi »

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 26, 2017, 06:07:00 AM »
Between the wall and deporting everyone looking at a hefty bill.

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/24/trumps-deportation-plan-could-cost-half-a-trillion-dollars.html
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:10:19 AM by johnysmoke »
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 26, 2017, 08:23:05 AM »
Here's an interesting article on trade deficit and employment.

This might look like a fulfilled prophecy given that the increasing trade deficit of the U.S. between 2000-2010 coincided with the loss of close to 6 million manufacturing jobs (yet, since 2010 the manufacturing sector has added over 800,000 new jobs). But the truth is that all advanced economies have been steadily reducing the share of employment in manufacturing, regardless of trade deficits or surpluses.

Rather than trade, increases in productivity and technology have been a much larger driver of manufacturing job losses. Compared to the early 1990s, it takes about half the number of workers today in the U.S. to produce the same output. In fact, from 2000 to 2010, while jobs were being lost, total manufacturing output increased by over $800 billion.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2017/02/23/nafta-under-trump-the-myths-and-the-possibilities/

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #665 on: February 26, 2017, 10:30:36 AM »
The illegals "problem" doesn't exist. Ten years from now we will be paying these same people to come here.
Wrong....the "illegals" problem absolutely exists....I'm all for legal immigrants coming here.  But we need a system that works for all not the stupid status quo. At the same time we need a huge do-over of public education back to fundamentals and to recognize that not all kids should be getting pushed into college. Teach skills to those that aren't made for college....I know I certainly wasn't and would have been far better off. If we weren't failing so many kids so miserably we would have a far more competent workforce. Then bring people in for positions we truly can't fill. There will still be plenty. I want the upward pressure on wages that a legal workforce brings. As it stands now its primarily the wealthy and companies that profit from it. The poor and to a lesser extent the middle class continued to get screwed.

The development of replacing workers with automation is a big problem. What happened to the assertions previously that it wouldn't be so disruptive? I think we have a tsunami headed our way and none of our leaders seems to be doing anything....but making it easier for companies to replace workers. We need a cultural change as well. Corporations today care only about their stockholders.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: February 26, 2017, 01:14:19 PM »
At the same time we need a huge do-over of public education back to fundamentals and to recognize that not all kids should be getting pushed into college. Teach skills to those that aren't made for college....I know I certainly wasn't and would have been far better off. If we weren't failing so many kids so miserably we would have a far more competent workforce. Then bring people in for positions we truly can't fill. There will still be plenty. I want the upward pressure on wages that a legal workforce brings. As it stands now its primarily the wealthy and companies that profit from it. The poor and to a lesser extent the middle class continued to get screwed.
You and me both might have made good grunts, except I bet neither of us like being told what to do. And you seem to have one or three too many marbles rolling around in your skull to just be a heavy lifter. Maybe you're just a late bloomer.
Seems a lot of European countries separate out folks for a skills type existence pretty early, the equivalent of jr. high or high school? I think in a lot of Euro countries you're getting almost the equivalent of a light liberal arts degree by the time you're done with high school. Would be good if you could merge a more skills intense curriculum while still trying to get folks to think critically and independently, and not just able to rewire your house. Also seems like a year or two of some type of military\service\volunteer work would be good for a lot of people before going off to college, I know I would have benefited from something like this. I've seen a lot of kids who take gap years now between high school and college, provided they can afford it. The Australians all seem to travel the fuck out of the place in their early twenties before returning home. Working for a year in a Kinkos might have the same benefit for many though.
But I feel for these kids who are getting out of school with tons of debt, seems unfair when a few generations ago people were getting good college educations for practically nothing.
There's the manufacturing automation that's pretty much here, but also an information automation that's coming down the way, that might cut into white collar jobs. Seems like the white collar middle class gigs are the ones holding up the joint, and being asked to bail everyone else out, not sure how things will play out once they're on the chopping block. How many leaks can you put your finger in before you're just totally underwater.
Also if you believe George Carlin, that we're just here and barely educated enough to run the man's machines, what happens when the machines can run themselves? What do you do with an unemployed workforce? Put in more seats at the circus and turn up the volume, or start handing out Soma so everyone can just go on a virtual vacation? Or start turning one faction against the other and just let themselves eat each other up?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYIC0eZYEtI
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #667 on: February 26, 2017, 02:29:15 PM »
My fear is the last thing you said....my anger with the ridiculously partisan nature of the press is that they help create this atmosphere. It's people unwilling to find the middle that piss me off the most.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #668 on: February 26, 2017, 02:47:26 PM »
Liberal bias doesn't necessarily mean the facts themselves are wrong. And it's not like Trump hasn't been lying through his teeth.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: February 26, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »
Please taut it's not just a matter of disagreeing, they are doing everything they can to actively bring him down. They are no longer media they are activists....they deserve a good slap in the face. If you can't see that there is something seriously wrong with your perception....and judgement.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/26/media/new-york-times-editor-dean-baquet-subscriptions/

https://youtu.be/gY0Fdz350GE

« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 05:04:31 PM by yugi »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #670 on: February 26, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »
And I've never said the facts themselves are necessarily wrong. It's more how they are presented and the lack of effort to bring facts when it doesn't suit their ideology.
Bob

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: February 26, 2017, 05:44:05 PM »
^ c'est la vie

the world all over

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: February 26, 2017, 05:51:04 PM »
My fear is the last thing you said....my anger with the ridiculously partisan nature of the press is that they help create this atmosphere. It's people unwilling to find the middle that piss me off the most.
Well, Trump is surely being every bit as biased and black-and-white as the press are? Not everything that e.g. the New York Times etc says can be "fake news", surely? And yet Trump is suggesting that sort of thing.

I do wonder sometimes whether you've just elected Frank Drebin president.

https://youtu.be/piBjvEtwrzc

Maybe Trump is the liberator of all good people from the tyranny of liberal progressive thinking: a true visionary. Maybe he's a dictator in the making. Or maybe he's Frank Drebin. People are just seeing in the evidence whatever narrative fits with their predispositions. Personally, I'm leaning towards Frank Drebin. But I am scouring all news sources for data that challenges that view, and I have low confidence in any of these narratives, including my currently favoured one.

But the fact that I can even entertain the notion that the most powerful person in the world could be either of two of these possibilities is frankly extremely worrying. Is there anything Stoneaxe, that you can point me to in Trump's behaviour or achievements as president so far that would convince me beyond reasonable doubt that Trump is not either (a) a dictator in the making, or (b) Frank Drebin? I desperately want to be reassured.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 26, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
Maybe Trump is the liberator of all good people from the tyranny of liberal progressive thinking: a true visionary.

His grip on reality is so poor that there is nothing visionary about it...more like hallucinatory...and that doesn;t create good presidents.

I am just glad it seems his security team has tightened up a bit...well except for throwing Bannon in there...

deepmud

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #674 on: February 26, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »

So if this isn't worrying you there is something severely wrong with your judgement. Banning legitimate media based on to extent they agree wit has  it not is nothing short of facist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/02/24/white-house-blocks-cnn-new-york-times-from-press-briefing-hours-after-trump-slams-media/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.d167ecb98470
"Fascist"?  You too?  SMH.

Not to push your buttons - but to get inside your shoes - you clearly see this cartoon as a valid representation of Trump's frustration with the media. How you feel is how you feel - it's real.

Can you articulate it ? Does the cartoon really validate your feelings or is it over the top?

My feelings are more like this one:

That being said - Jefferson had a "pocket" newspaper . He didn't invent Fake News - but he was was perhaps the first source of it in the United 13 Colonies. He pushed John Adam's buttons to the point that the First Amendment was in serious trouble from the get-go (IMHO) - "The Sedition Act resulted in the prosecution and conviction of many Jeffersonian newspaper owners who disagreed with the government." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_and_Sedition_Acts

I personally can't stand that Trump - mostly for his BS factor - I don't actually care that he's spending 3 million a weekend in Florida - but it annoys me he loved to talk up Obama flying to Hawaii as if it was a real vacation (Presidents are always "on-call"/working) .  The freakin' US of A  can afford a few million here and there  for the President.  I can't stand that he gets butt-hurt all the time - example : by a comparison of crowds vs. Obama's inauguration ( my God - the first black president is going to have big crowd get over it who cares -  Trump should not give a damn ).

I already voted for a Maverick once -  I thought "how could it be worse than the shitshow we already have?" - it turned out it COULD BE worse. She quit at two years and we were left with the stand-in. Would Pence do ok if Trump bails out? Speaking from experience - it seems a possibility.

* Recent Posts

post Re: GPT 5, Sam Altman, What's coming
[Random]
PonoBill
March 17, 2024, 05:30:44 PM
post Re: 2024 North Mode Pro wings:
[Classifieds]
cnski
March 17, 2024, 05:09:04 PM
post Re: HOT Chicks on Stand Up Paddle Boards!
[SUP General]
burchas
March 17, 2024, 08:50:00 AM
[SUP General]
Night Wing
March 16, 2024, 07:02:05 PM
[SUP General]
blueplanetsurf
March 16, 2024, 03:28:57 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 14, 2024, 12:38:42 PM
[Random]
LaPerouseBay
March 13, 2024, 07:59:28 PM
post Re: FS - Ocean Rodeo Glide A-Series Wings (3m/ 4m / 5m), USA
[Classifieds]
StellaBlu
March 12, 2024, 07:27:21 AM
post FS - Kalama Barracuda
[Classifieds]
VB_Foil
March 11, 2024, 05:43:58 PM
post Re: Vision Pro
[Random]
Bean
March 11, 2024, 03:46:42 PM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 09, 2024, 11:06:32 AM
post Happy International Women's Day, lady zoners!
[General Discussion]
LaPerouseBay
March 08, 2024, 07:28:47 PM
[Random]
Admin
March 08, 2024, 04:45:53 AM
[Random]
PonoBill
March 06, 2024, 11:00:24 PM