Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344539 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #555 on: February 19, 2017, 08:45:57 AM »
A10...I'm confused....nobody in Britain or Europe supports Trump? Brexit? The rise of LePen and populism in general in Europe? Those folks don't or wouldn't support Trump?
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: February 19, 2017, 09:23:35 AM »
[quote author=tautologies link=topic=31196.msg346149#msg346149 date=1487500905

Also..I think possible treason is way more interesting to look into than a blowjob.

All the info about possible calls...the well-coordinated attacks on Clinton with leaks on Wikileaks...people resigning over contact and the constant defending of Putin...its worth looking into. If you do not think so you are not thinking about the wellbeing of the country but your belief in a team (this is not the same).
[/quote]

oh, that BJ.  the one in the Oval Office, by a subordinate, that he lied about under oath.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 19, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
There's been money and therefore interest at the presidential level in selling out the USA to foreign powers since the revolutionary war, and probably well before that. I'm not too interested in the "Hillary did this" stuff, But President Clinton did that with China--in spades. Before that, it was various presidents selling our ass to the middle east. Not for oil, for money.

I have no idea what President Trump is up to. Way too noisy and far too much bullshit to know unless you are on the inside. I wouldn't be surprised at all if his administration was very cozy with the Russians. It makes great sense as a foil against expansionist China, but it's probably for money.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: February 19, 2017, 10:26:57 AM »
Trump says he wants to bring 'back' manufacturing jobs. The best way to do that is to build for a foreign market, the US was strongest in manufacturing post WWII when its good were sold to a rebuilding of Europe. One of the biggest  problems the US has today is we don't build much that can be sold to our existing trading partners.  Maybe he sees Russia as a county in need of product that can be built in the US. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: February 19, 2017, 11:17:41 AM »
A10...I'm confused....nobody in Britain or Europe supports Trump? Brexit? The rise of LePen and populism in general in Europe? Those folks don't or wouldn't support Trump?
Nope. Trump is a manifestation of the rise in populism and dissatisfaction with globalisation that is peculiar to the US. Marine Le Pen, Nigel Farage etc might be seen as a bit extreme, but they still have some grasp of reality. Whereas Trump is now confusing documentaries he's seen on TV with news events in Sweden:

http://news.sky.com/story/the-curious-case-of-president-trump-and-the-swedish-incident-10774330

Even the extreme right in Europe think Trump is toxic and are keeping their distance. For instance, on the website of perhaps the most rabid extreme right UK political group (the National Front), there is scepticism about a story that uses supposed mistreatment of a Trump supporter for political gain, and the website is otherwise pretty much a Trump-free zone.

This sums it up nicely: "Sure we voted for Brexit, but we didn't let any of the f**kers run the country!"

https://youtu.be/W4kNOHJqfEE

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:28:50 AM by Area 10 »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: February 19, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
I'm not sure how European analysis of Trump and his administration enjoys some great clarity. the fog around both the election and the first few weeks is pretty intense. Even articles that seem to stem from reasoned analysis are full of exaggeration and obvious bias.

I've been reading some of the articles regarding the intelligence community's animus, which is painted as being "unprecedented".  Short memories. The FBI and the CIA hated President Kennedy. Depending on your point of view, the Bay of Pigs was the CIA defying Kennedy, and his ultimate assassination may or may not have included FBI and CIA plotting. Whether or not it actually did, there was more than enough animus to support hundreds of such theories.

Virtually every presidency (sy??) has had enemies in the intelligence community and military. They are huge organizations with complex loyalties and sensitivities. Imagine what the divide is within those organizations regarding Hillary and Benghazi. Every extreme from holding her blameless to considering her directly responsible for a colleague's death. Leaks are part of the modus operandi and range from sanctioned to treason. Always have been. US Intelligence officers with Nazi sympathies leaked classified information to Germany. People act to some degree on their personal convictions, and those are never uniform. I don't know why that seems hard to understand.

I've given up on digging. I'll wait for the ten thousand tell-all histories of Trumps administration.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: February 19, 2017, 01:58:09 PM »
I know I just don't know what to believe and what to even read or watch. It's far worse than ever to sort through. Something that seems credible.....if it's true it would be real news like no ones business and then it's gone in a day. Is it the damn phones and social media instead of just the plain ol' internet that is driving things the way they are as much as it is Trump? Maybe that's all the news is worth anymore......a day. Well, its been that way for awhile......now it's just a blip. Off to the next thing. That can't be it entirely. Some of the stuff I have seen would/should be covered far more I would think if there was anything really credible to it.
Not trying to go to bat for her in any way but stupid Kelly Conway and the "buy Ivanka" comment. That was an offhand comment in the middle of....much more. Yeah, not the brightest thing to say but damn if it hasn't seemed like she took out a half hour infomercial on Ivanka's stuff or that's the whole reason she sat down with whoever that was she was with.
I do know........that stupid ass picture with his kid riding the lion......I don't know what it is....seen it about a year ago I guess the first time but the stupid limo toys really just put the cherry on top of that whole ridiculous scene.
I can almost give him a pass on the rally yesterday considering he hasn't heard anything good except from his family or staff in quite a while but seeing that stupid picture again just really makes me scratch my head even more about him. Those and his bragging to Billy Bush on the bus...he is just so full of himself. He needs a thicker skin if nothing else.
47 months left. When do they start campaigning again?
(ohhhhhh........)
Hmmmmmm, presidence day tomorrow.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2017, 04:13:25 PM »

I agree the press isn't very good at focusing on the bigger things. They are still chasing the breaking story, which is not going to work that same way. You cannot Gotcha Trump...truth doesn't matter to him. Instead they should be doing research and break the bigger stories..the ones Pono is wating for. I think there are a few good journalists that are working on it. The Russia story is huge, but they needs to show the trail.

I think Conway is irrelevant. She should not be invited to any of the shows because she is not in the know. She doesn't speak for the president and she doesn't know what is going on. I am willing to bet she begs to go on those shows to keep from being further marginalized. She serves as a buffer between the president where we cannot hold him accountable for what she is saying...it is a great setup for the Whitehouse, but the press needs to stop inviting her.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »
The Russia story is huge, but they needs to show the trail.

I think Conway is irrelevant. She should not be invited to any of the shows because she is not in the know. She doesn't speak for the president and she doesn't know what is going on. I am willing to bet she begs to go on those shows to keep from being further marginalized. She serves as a buffer between the president where we cannot hold him accountable for what she is saying...it is a great setup for the Whitehouse, but the press needs to stop inviting her.
Which one?

I don't know what to think about her...is he playing his game show?
Kind of.
I brought her up I think because it seems it's the only story that lasted 2-3 days last week.

They had to have posed for that picture knowing it was over the top............right?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #564 on: February 19, 2017, 06:38:47 PM »
If you google for pictures of the family....there are many, many like that...he loves all that gaudy shit around him.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: February 20, 2017, 04:30:04 AM »

Zakaria's take on it: http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/19/politics/fareed-zakaria-trump-take-cnntv/index.html
It's interesting that Obama actually did much more than Trump has done, in the same period. I didn't know that.

The problem with the press I think is that the sheer welter of total BS coming from Trump and his team is so dense that it obliterates all other stories. They can't ignore the President saying things that are manifestly untrue. For instance, in reference to Trump's bizarre statement about events in Sweden that he apparently got from watching a Fox News:

(Sky News): "According to a White House spokeswoman, Mr Trump had been referring generally to rising crime in Sweden, but not a specific incident in the Scandinavian country.

But even this is at odd with official statistics. They show Sweden's crime rate has fallen since 2005, despite the country taking in hundreds of thousands of immigrants from war-torn countries such as Iraq and Syria".

Clearly this HAS to be covered. The media can't ignore the POTUS suggesting something that is patently untrue.

Also Sky News:

"At a news conference on 16 February, Mr Trump falsely claimed that his Electoral College win was the biggest since Ronald Reagan's. This is not true.

Both of Barack Obama's Electoral College wins, both of Bill Clinton's and George W Bush's were all bigger than Mr Trump's".

Again, the media can't ignore this lie.

And then there is all the nonsense that comes from Spicer, Conway etc on the back of these kind of inaccuracies as they try desperately to spin Trump's proclamations as to avoid him seeming like someone who cares far less about truth than votes.

So, while I agree entirely that the media doesn't seem to be doing much that is substantial these days, I do feel partly sorry for them - Trump has turned the role of POTUS into a reality TV show, and I think he's just doing his Apprentice thing, where the aim is to entertain and get column inches, and as for reality: well, it's just for TV, and anyone knows that anything goes in TV land.

This is a fascinating sociopolitical time. I'm sure theorists will be debating it for decades to come. It's the Kim Kardashianisation of politics: the point at which the cult of the celebrity, and the phenomenon of reality TV, got mixed up with social media and the whole mad unreal circus started to run the world. This is the tail wagging the dog, I fear.

In this respect I think that while the Trump phenomenon is symptomatic of what is also going on elsewhere in the world (especially Europe), with fears of globalisation, fear of change, rising inequality, and changing demographics, it is also something apart from that. And I wonder whether I've only really been seeing Trump in terms of the rise of populism, globalisation etc rather than actually what it is at least equally: Kim Kardashian in trousers as president.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: February 20, 2017, 08:04:17 AM »
Time out for President's Day.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: February 20, 2017, 11:12:22 AM »
Here's an interactive map showing the proportion of the UK population who have signed the petition to stop the proposed Trump state visit to the UK (it is being debated in parliament).

This has so far received the second largest number of signatures of any petition since these online petitions began. It is interesting to note that, as % of the population, how widespread across the U.K. the signaturies are, and also how unpopular Trump is in Scotland, despite (or perhaps because of?) his much-proclaimed Scottish heritage, and golf course up there.

http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=171928

Approx 1.8 million people have signed this petition so far.

There is also a petition in support of Trump's visit. It has received around 200k signatures. But it has been going a shorter period of time, and the rate of signatures it is getting is currently similar to, or greater than, the anti-Trump ones. People are voting substantially because they see this as a feeedom of speech issue, according to the vox pops. The pro-Trump petition was the idea of one of these people, and his 13-yr old daughter actually created it.

However in *all* areas the number of people signing the anti-visit petition is still higher than those signing the pro-visit petition. So there isn't a difference in support on this issue in different regions of the UK like we'd see on most issues, or with voting for political parties (where the UK is divided along left wing-right wing lines as the US is).

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: February 20, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »

oh, that BJ.  the one in the Oval Office, by a subordinate, that he lied about under oath.

Well a BJ isn't illegal...lying is. However, Trump has been caught in so many lies this far and he has obvious conflicts of interest in his business dealings...which is illegal. His ties to Russia should be investigated His insane attacks on the press, judicial system and a whole slew of other factors should easily be enough for even his supports to question WTF he is doing. The GOP should be preparing an impeachment....because trump is a con-man.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal