Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344566 times)

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #480 on: February 14, 2017, 02:07:50 PM »
I wonder who'll be next to be out like Flynn?
Fingers crossed...
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: February 14, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »
PBill, I appreciate your support. Just in terms of the union dues, very little of ours goes to supporting candidates. I belong to a very small union which is part of NYSUT, the state union. There is a fund which we're supposed to pay into which helps with this political action. I think it amounts to about 1% of our budget, and we don't even pay it half the time because the union is pretty split politically. I'm sure some more militant unions pay a higher percentage. Most of our union dues goes to stuff like dues to NYSUT, goodbye luncheons, summer camp scholarships for kids, administrative stuff, meals sent to sick colleagues, shirts, parties, and that sort of thing. In exchange for the dues we get NYSUT support, lawyers during disputes, that sort of thing. Day to day it's not something that influences our lives. That percentage may be different with other unions, but that's what I see.

In terms of the political spending, I agree it's corrupt. No question there. I think a political system where money talks is immoral. The problem is that this is how the political game is played, and we teachers are getting our heads handed to us on a national basis. Despite all that money, we ain't doing' so well. You could propose two solutions. One would be no outside spending and we have public funded elections. That would be fine with me. However, if you say other parties can make huge spendings politically but unions are not allowed, well then that's not right. If other parties are allowed to organize and spend politically, then so should unions. Otherwise you're feeding teachers to the sharks.

I guess the monkey in the room is that teachers unions are funded by teachers whose paycheck come from local taxes. Because of this and the public nature of their employment, unions shouldn't be allowed to organize or engage in political activities because that's essentially doing it at the public's expense. It's the “I pay your salary” argument. Okay, I get that, but that plays out on the local level. As a local teacher I am not to endorse a local candidate, speak about my job publicly, support a budget, or even make a political opinion about the community I serve. Not only that, I cannot speak about my job on social media, mention students, or even complain. The main conflict at the local level come from contract disputes, and those are about money. While the negotiations are confidential, teachers' salaries are not. You can find out the salaries of any public teacher with a little research. (Even mine.)

SUP Leave, most teachers contracts do allow for higher salaries with higher education. It's not a lot, maybe 2–4%. Younger teachers have the advantage of enthusiasm and energy. Plus they are younger so they relate to kids at a more personal level. I was able to do that once, and when I couldn't anymore it was tough. I had to find a whole different ways of teaching. I had to be different. And that's okay. The kids saw me as older, which I kinda was. Yes, you can get burnt out as a teacher. It happens. I've felt burnt out. You either get over it and find new ways to teach or you should get out. I've learned that I enjoy student teachers a lot. I enjoy the process. I used to teach grades 6–8, and now I teach English 7–8 and and drama, kindergarten through 8. Yes, I am running around my room with five year-old kids teaching drama, plays, dance, and speech. I either have to embrace and enjoy it, or leave. The same goes for other teachers.

Teacher burnout is a real thing. I think the answer is to do new things with your kids, and that's scary as you get older. When you've done the same lessons for years, they're like old clothes, comfy and satisfying. They also might not work so well anymore. Time to change things up! You need to keep embracing the new in order to do well. The world is changing outside your door. Your class shouldn't remain static either.

I wish I could still relate to kids on that personal level. Dammit, I miss that. I'm just too old for that now. I look like their parents. That's how they see me too.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 14, 2017, 08:22:03 PM »

As the world turns...how much shit can stick to the side of one fat demagogue before his frame cannot hold him up any more?

Trump aides were in constant touch with senior Russian officials during campaign
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/14/politics/donald-trump-aides-russians-campaign/index.html

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 14, 2017, 09:16:17 PM »
Yeah so between comets actions and trump being what he is this should be much too much for the gop to swallow

I'M Livid
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/14/us/politics/russia-intelligence-communications-trump.html

johnysmoke

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
SIC F14
Bark Eliminator
C4 Beachboy

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 15, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
Going to be a lot of fallout, http://www.salon.com/2016/12/14/gop-super-pac-linked-to-paul-ryan-used-illegally-hacked-material-against-democratic-house-candidates-report/#.WKOQjt6xIjG.twitter

What a world where the previous candidate who chose Palin has his running mate (McCain) is the normal one ehh...he was early out to say no one should use the hacked material as arguments or let it be part of the conversation because it influences democracy in a negative way.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 15, 2017, 09:34:33 AM »
Putin must be laughing his head off at the US right now. He may have demonstrated how fragile democracy is in the internet era.

At least it looks like the mainstream media have finally started to do a little bit of work. Although we are still yet to see some really outstanding investigative journalism.

This is beginning to look less like 1984 and more like Keystone Cops.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 15, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »
Putin must be laughing his head off at the US right now. He may have demonstrated how fragile democracy is in the internet era.

At least it looks like the mainstream media have finally started to do a little bit of work. Although we are still yet to see some really outstanding investigative journalism.

This is beginning to look less like 1984 and more like Keystone Cops.

Yeah if the politicians had the actual citizens as their first priority then this would be a non-issue...that value would guide them. But unfortunately, power does corrupt.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 15, 2017, 10:21:50 AM »
...Time to change things up! You need to keep embracing the new in order to do well. The world is changing outside your door...

IS, how do you deal with the need for students to use computers (notebooks/tablets) in the classroom to take notes or follow along in an e-text, with the strong probability that they are also texting/surfing in class?

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 15, 2017, 10:50:17 AM »
Just finished watching some YouTube videos on what various foreigners think of Americans.  Although about a fourth said they like Americans in general, about third used words like loud, obnoxious, stupid, ignorant, aggressive, arrogant, crazy and self righteous.  A few others said Americans were fun and friendly, but shallow. A LOT said that Americans were ignorant or not very smart.

They think our government is generally corrupt, and the American people don't see it and are easily led by superficial propaganda bombardments.  They also tend to regard us as a nation of intense commitments to sport and fringe obsessions.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 15, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
Just finished watching some YouTube videos on what various foreigners think of Americans.  Although about a fourth said they like Americans in general, about third used words like loud, obnoxious, stupid, ignorant, aggressive, arrogant, crazy and self righteous.  A few others said Americans were fun and friendly, but shallow. A LOT said that Americans were ignorant or not very smart.

They think our government is generally corrupt, and the American people don't see it and are easily led by superficial propaganda bombardments.  They also tend to regard us as a nation of intense commitments to sport and fringe obsessions.

In other words jealous...jealous, really, really, jealous  ;D

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 15, 2017, 11:28:50 AM »
Yep, that's about right, I'm afraid. That is indeed the stereotype that foreigners tend to have of you. Sorry. Of course, Trump has thoroughly played to that stereotype: I think people assume that populations tend to elect "people like themselves".

FWIW I work closely with many US citizens and none of them conform to that stereotype. They are generally much more polite and better-behaved than we Brits in my experience, and I have been hugely impressed with them. So, I think that anyone who has had substantial personal experience of US citizens knows full well that this is just an unfair stereotype.

I am mindful of what one of my German colleagues said when he was told about the stereotype that Germans never have any fun. He said "Germans certainly have fun. It's just that we do it *after* the work is done". :) :)

In that respect, if my US colleagues are in a group together in a bar or restaurant, they will usually be the loudest there :) Why *do* you guys talk so loud haha!? :) This observation was actually first pointed out to me by one of my US friends btw, before you bite my head off..

Anyway, it could be worse: your national stereotype could be that of the British. A French colleague of mine told me the stereotype that the French have of the British. She said "you are all gay wife-beaters" :)

And I'm afraid that as stereotypes go, the Australians are seen as easily more sports-obsessed than you are!

SeldomScene

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 15, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »
Well I for one make all my life decisions based on what foreigners post on you tube. 

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 15, 2017, 02:01:04 PM »
I'm glad none of the commentators have spent time in Santa Cruz.  I think the opinion meter would wobble even further south.

One wonders if the ghosts of the Pacific just make people stark raving in California.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 15, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
I'm glad none of the commentators have spent time in Santa Cruz.  I think the opinion meter would wobble even further south.

One wonders if the ghosts of the Pacific just make people stark raving in California.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal