Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344585 times)

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #390 on: February 08, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »
Articles or video of Trump being a dick is not newsworthy in my opinion.
Wow. I completely disagree. I also think, though I'm not a lawyer, that using the power of your job to threaten someone else's job is probably illegal. So right there, just saying those words, he is breaking the law. Little more than 'just' "being a dick".

Yeah for sure it is news and reporting worthy. When a sitting president is talking disparagingly about the judicial system and fundamentally questions the judiciary there is something fundamentally wrong. People talking about having respect for the constitution...then turn around a defend that action is insane. The cognitive dissonance is so a fierce power...or just a lack of understanding that the founding fathers established this power structure exactly to avoid having people like Trump gain too much power.

That doesn't mean that upon first chance Bannon will not do a major power grab. They have teed up for it. One act of terror and they will swing the bat.

Btw Stone: It is the labeling of articles that is tiring. You can agree or not on the focus, but label it hysteria seems inaccurate and prejudiced to me.  In one instance a set of people are labeled snowflakes, then in the next, the people making the labels are feeling offended because of too many insensitive jokes.
A journalist isn't some neutral information forwarder, but they should stay clear and transparent about why they make certain choices and what their overall attitudes are.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 08, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »
Articles or video of Trump being a dick is not newsworthy in my opinion.
Wow. I completely disagree. I also think, though I'm not a lawyer, that using the power of your job to threaten someone else's job is probably illegal. So right there, just saying those words, he is breaking the law. Little more than 'just' "being a dick".

I guess my point is that this, however light hearted or vulgar one would take it, it is incredibly low on the list of daily items to trudge thru and dissect. Id prefer the media and public concentrate, and rally against, his actions regarding policy vs the continuation of his crude and unjust dribble which helped to get him elected. It just goes nowhere even if the finger pointing is spot on.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:49:49 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 08, 2017, 03:49:50 PM »
Is this ok? Is reporting this "hysterical"? Should we not be critical? I would submit this: I don't care what else he has ever said about anything. I don't care what any media outlet has ever reported, "hysterical" or not. This one single statement is an illegal abuse of power that requires impeachment.
http://www.learnprogress.org/trump-tape-threatening-senator/
I going hysteria on that one as well especially the last five paragraphs. Saw that this morning and this version is even more unflattering than the one I read. Maybe I didn't read to the end of it tho. Just a bunch of schmucks yucking it up kind of thing is what I thought. Trying to fit in with the good ol' boys. Good on the deputy not naming the senator for the world to see which it appears this article doesn't bother to mention.

News has always been about taking "facts" and developing an editorial position around them, usually to serve a political position.

With the vast amount of information generated by all media sources today, and the competition for the loudest voices, it was probably inevitable that "news" would eventually become untethered from anything resembling a fact, with the "facts" generated exclusively by the political position.

In psychology, this is usually referred to as "Borderline Personality Disorder", where the emotional needs of the broadcaster generate whatever false facts are necessary to justify the emotional position.
In thinking about hysteria or fake news stuff I kind of kept coming back to that first sentence there you got tho I couldn't think it through enough to put into words that weren't garbled. Thought about that while watching some historical documentaries recently as well.
Hmmmm, "borderline personality disorder". Would that be a dysfunctional society?
This jumped out at me when I read the article a second time from the fake news thread Pono started.

"Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egoism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture."

Almost sounds like Huxley is pulling away down the stretch but damn if I ever heard of him. Book rings a bell tho.  (geez, there a lot of stuff out there to discover, ain't there)
I was reading a little on Hearst a bit ago. For whatever reaons I wonder if Huxley was a product of his surroundings in that he had more of that sensational news and the wars with it of that time around him or in front of him than Orwell had. Both are about that age it seems.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #393 on: February 08, 2017, 04:32:41 PM »
So you're not debating here Tom?....now I'm really confused..... :o

A10...the fact that you can feign offense to insults while tossing them out yourself tells me all I need to know. Questioning your ability for critical thought as a scientist when you've given it as evidence of the same elsewhere?.....seems like fair game to me. I'm not about to be concerned on your opinion of who is winning an argument especially since it's obviously based on a lesson you failed to learn yourself.
In your opinion the attacking of Trump is simply a new approach. Yeah i guess they haven't been attacking him up until now..... :o :o ::). I didn't know that you could wear blinders and rose colored glasses at the same time.

I think I'm simply going to have to bow out of this one. I consider myself a conservative leaning libertarian. I'm liberal on many social issues, centrist on most others, and conservative on a select few. I despise Trump personally and don't agree with some of what he's doing and most of his tactics. I've come to the understanding though that if you don't recognize the bias, hysteria, and hype.....form BOTH sides......that you are PART of the problem. Until we can have a conversation based on compromise there is no solution.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:12:38 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 08, 2017, 06:25:59 PM »
Is this ok? Is reporting this "hysterical"? Should we not be critical? I would submit this: I don't care what else he has ever said about anything. I don't care what any media outlet has ever reported, "hysterical" or not. This one single statement is an illegal abuse of power that requires impeachment.
http://www.learnprogress.org/trump-tape-threatening-senator/

Wow. I'm going to stick with your early comment that you aren't a lawyer. I'd add "hasn't the tiniest bit of understanding about the constitution and what it says" to that characterization.

Bob and I have differing politics, but a similar viewpoint on these general issues. You are not going to form useful opinions from current reporting, unless you are extremely careful and already know a great deal about the people being reported upon.

There is virtually no balance. Where is the in-depth look at why democrats were so firmly aligned against the confirmation of a Secretary of Education that they pulled out every stop and called in every favor to block her. I'm kind of wondering why not even Faux News asked that kind of question. It's an interesting issue. Secretary of Education is pretty much a do-nothing post. Why all the fervor? I have some theories, but I don't have any way to confirm them--because no one is looking behind the curtain.

How come? I assume none of you are naive enough to think it has anything to do with lack of qualifications.

I also find it amazing that anyone would object to the term "hysterical" in characterizing news reportage. I can't think of a better word.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 06:30:26 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 09, 2017, 04:03:17 AM »
I'm sure you'll call this "hysterical" reporting. But I just find it funny.

Watch this vid first: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2017/jan/27/trump-may-hold-hands-white-house-video

Then read this: http://jezebel.com/donald-trump-can-absolutely-walk-up-and-down-stairs-lik-1791749860

Maybe he should get some SUP lessons? That would help him with his balance, right?

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 09, 2017, 06:34:50 AM »
I'm sure you'll call this "hysterical" reporting. But I just find it funny.

Watch this vid first: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2017/jan/27/trump-may-hold-hands-white-house-video

Then read this: http://jezebel.com/donald-trump-can-absolutely-walk-up-and-down-stairs-lik-1791749860

Maybe he should get some SUP lessons? That would help him with his balance, right?

LOL. I love articles, videos, cartoons, skits, memes and art that paints Trump in a poor light and pokes fun at him. Trump satire is the absolute best. Def not hysteria but def not news. But some news outlets and some individuals will try to pass it on as so. 
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 09, 2017, 07:09:32 AM »
Trump is the best thing that's happened to new media and SNL in decades. He's making them all a great deal of money. Part of his economic plan no doubt.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 09, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »
South  Park  is  giving  up

“[Trump] is really hard to make fun of and in the last season of South Park, which just ended a month-and-a-half ago,” Trey Stone says in the video interview. “We were really trying to make fun of what was going on but we couldn’t keep up and what was actually happening was much funnier than anything we could come up with. So we decided to kind of back off and let them do their comedy and we’ll do ours.”

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 09, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »
It's interesting to look back at this article from July 2015 and see how prophetic it was:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/stop-laughing-at-donald-trump/2015/07/17/f334f9b6-2bdd-11e5-a250-42bd812efc09_story.html?utm_term=.ea7f755de787

If this is right, beyond Trump the US could be in for more election cycles dominated by angry older white people (especially men) voting for other angry older white men.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 09, 2017, 10:03:01 AM »

§ 2635.702 Use of public office for private gain.
An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of friends, relatives, or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity, including nonprofit organizations of which the employee is an officer or member, and persons with whom the employee has or seeks employment or business relations. The specific prohibitions set forth in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this section apply this general standard, but are not intended to be exclusive or to limit the application of this section.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/829356871848951809

She added: "Go buy Ivanka's stuff, is what I would say. I hate shopping — I'm going to buy stuff today."
http://www.businessinsider.com/kellyanne-conway-go-buy-ivankas-stuff-2017-2

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2017, 11:46:25 AM »

§ 2635.702 Use of public office for private gain.
An employee shall not use his public office for his own private gain, for the endorsement of any product, service or enterprise, or for the private gain of friends, relatives, or persons with whom the employee is affiliated in a nongovernmental capacity, including nonprofit organizations of which the employee is an officer or member, and persons with whom the employee has or seeks employment or business relations. The specific prohibitions set forth in paragraphs (a) through (d) of this section apply this general standard, but are not intended to be exclusive or to limit the application of this section.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/829356871848951809

She added: "Go buy Ivanka's stuff, is what I would say. I hate shopping — I'm going to buy stuff today."
http://www.businessinsider.com/kellyanne-conway-go-buy-ivankas-stuff-2017-2

I guess this is why our public servants in Washington always leave much wealthier than they were, even if they were indicted or even bankrupted before they arrived.  It's because they are toiling 24/24 for the welfare of the public and have no time to concern themselves with accumulating personal wealth.

This must be one of the most routinely broken laws ever.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
Dump Trump.
Yvon Chouinard for president!

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/news/patagonia-withdraws-of-outdoor-retailer

Read Chouinard's full essay here.
   http://www.patagonia.com/blog/2017/01/the-outdoor-industry-loves-utah-does-utah-love-the-outdoor-industry/

I was hesitating whether I really needed that cool new Patagonia jacket. It was perfect but just a bit pricey. Like it but figured I'd find it on sale some day with a bit of luck.

After seeing this I called the shop today and they set it aside for me. I'm paying full price and proud to do so.

Cool values Patagonia. Yvon always thinks about what the right thing to do is.

Chapeau!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 12:24:19 PM by yugi »

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
I guess this is why our public servants in Washington always leave much wealthier than they were, even if they were indicted or even bankrupted before they arrived.  It's because they are toiling 24/24 for the welfare of the public and have no time to concern themselves with accumulating personal wealth.

This must be one of the most routinely broken laws ever.

So you think it is fine?

Here is my take: It is not okay. Ever. If someone flaunts it, and publicly shows it, immediate action needs to be taken (due process of course). I think action needs to be taken if there are suspicions and certainly several senators and other public servants have been jailed for it. It isn't okay and excusing it with everybody else does it, doesn't hold (not saying that is your opinion).

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 09, 2017, 06:29:35 PM »
I have to rescind my criticism of the De Vos confirmation coverage, I've recently seen several opinion pieces and some actual news coverage that looks more deeply into the motivation behind the fervor. There were two opinion pieces in the WSJ that seem well reasoned. Not exactly along the lines of my suspicions, but similar.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal