Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344595 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #375 on: February 08, 2017, 07:13:24 AM »
Tom...there are more than a few good examples of the hysteria already on here. Stories hyping the orders to stop all outgoing communications....standard practice that every admin does but when Trump does it there's an outcry? Find me one positive story on Trump on CNN....can you honestly say with a straight face that they aren't activists instead of journalists? Every single story from the majority of the major media is spun hard to the left. Rahm Emmanuelle of all people is saying shut up....that the left needs to stop whining about being right and start focusing on winning elections to get what they want.

A10.....I'm not making any excuses about Trump...he's acting like a petulant child half the time. But nice deflection of the hysterical press discussion to Trump...do you always complain about stuff and then do the same? I also find it somewhat bizarre that you say so many are with you in Europe and yet a recent poll by the Chatham house says 55 percent of folks over there want a similar travel ban from terrorist countries. https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/comment/what-do-europeans-think-about-muslim-immigration
Do you simply live in an echo chamber of your own making? You point to a story as an example of the Trump teams hysteria when in reality it makes my point...and taut seems surprisingly to agree with me.....that it's a non story that never should have been....done as a petty attack to insinuate that he's lounging around the whitehouse. Then Spicer off the cuff dismisses it with a "I don't think he owns one" and it ramps up in this left spinning vortex of outrage about how they are lying about a fucking bathrobe.....and yet you think it makes your argument stronger?  Are you truly a scientist? Because I thought critical thinking was what science is all about.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:27:16 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 08, 2017, 07:36:33 AM »
Find me one positive story on Trump on CNN....can you honestly say with a straight face that they aren't activists instead of journalists?

Not hard at all, a couple from today. (p.s. - I never mentioned CNN, I usually don't read their web site and never watch their news.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/06/news/economy/donald-trump-beattyville-kentucky/index.html?iid=ob_homepage_deskrecommended_pool

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/europe/europe-donald-trump-travel-ban/index.html

My question was concerning your posts about 'hysteria', I didn't think hysteria ment bias.

hys·te·ri·a
həˈstirēə,həˈsterēə/
noun
exaggerated or uncontrollable emotion or excitement, especially among a group of people.
"the mass hysteria that characterizes the week before Christmas"
synonyms:   frenzy, feverishness, hysterics, fit of madness, derangement, mania, delirium; More
PSYCHIATRY
a psychological disorder (not now regarded as a single definite condition) whose symptoms include conversion of psychological stress into physical symptoms (somatization), selective amnesia, shallow volatile emotions, and overdramatic or attention-seeking behavior. The term has a controversial history as it was formerly regarded as a disease specific to women.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #377 on: February 08, 2017, 07:42:02 AM »
Really Tom?....there is hysteria because there is bias...it's nice that you know enough to use a dictionary but you might want to start thinking about how words (and actions) are related in a discussion. That's the next step to debating when you get done with the dictionary.
I'm also shocked that you point at stories that are at least a page deep on CNN and that are done in such a way as to paint the ones that are supporting Trump as poor white trash or xenophobic racists....I guess it does cements my understanding of how you form your opinions.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 07:49:55 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 08, 2017, 08:09:04 AM »
Yes, safer. And nicer. I wish the Ginger Whinger would watch this and reflect on the power of compassion.

Dream on. He's clearly lacking in that department. There's a ton of psychological opinion out there all pointing the same direction. If only our weather reports were so aligned...

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 08, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »
Debate? Who's debating, I'd never debate anyone on a forum. I just did not know what you meant when you were often mentioning hysterical reporting. Like I mentioned, I do not watch CNN, I don't have cable. To me, the definition of hysterical is close to the dictionary definition. I was just curious what you were talking about.

As to the links to today's CNN. I read news.google.com (among others) most mornings. The CNN article about Europe was the 3rd or 4th article they listed. I then went to the CNN website and saw the 'poor white trash or xenophobic racists' article on the first page. I didn't read the article, just thought it was pro Trump from the headline.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:30:59 AM by Tom »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 08, 2017, 09:09:13 AM »
A10.....I'm not making any excuses about Trump...he's acting like a petulant child half the time. But nice deflection of the hysterical press discussion to Trump...do you always complain about stuff and then do the same? I also find it somewhat bizarre that you say so many are with you in Europe and yet a recent poll by the Chatham house says 55 percent of folks over there want a similar travel ban from terrorist countries. https://www.chathamhouse.org/expert/comment/what-do-europeans-think-about-muslim-immigration
Do you simply live in an echo chamber of your own making? You point to a story as an example of the Trump teams hysteria when in reality it makes my point...and taut seems surprisingly to agree with me.....that it's a non story that never should have been....done as a petty attack to insinuate that he's lounging around the whitehouse. Then Spicer off the cuff dismisses it with a "I don't think he owns one" and it ramps up in this left spinning vortex of outrage about how they are lying about a fucking bathrobe.....and yet you think it makes your argument stronger?  Are you truly a scientist? Because I thought critical thinking was what science is all about.
The Chatham House finding is misleading, I'm afraid. They asked people whether they agreed to disagreed with the statement ‘All further migration from mainly Muslim countries should be stopped’. They would have got exactly the same results if they had asked "All further migration from any country should be stopped", but the conclusion would have been very different. People just don't want more outsiders coming to their country, no matter who they are. For instance, in the UK, the Brexit vote was carried principally because people wanted to stop migration from other EU countries, the vast majority of whom are not Muslim. So that result is almost certainly not about terrorism, nor is it about religion.

The post about "Robegate" has little to do with "hysteria" by the media, IMO. It is instead emblematic of a new approach that is appearing in the media here towards Trump. People are starting to become less afraid, since he and his administration seem so incompetent. Instead he is becoming a figure of ridicule. The media are now deliberately rattling his cage with nonsense because they know that either him or Spicer will say some new stupid thing and over-react, and that will get them easy column inches and a few laughs. IMO they really should close down his Twitter account, ban him from watching junk TV, and get a new media team. It's turning into a farce.

As for the new round of insults you have thrown my way, I'll ignore them. I was always told at school that a person starts throwing insults when they feel they are losing the argument :)

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 08, 2017, 10:17:33 AM »
I posted this on the wrong thread, but I found my shitshow:

Betsy DeVos does not have an education degree, never has been an educator, never attended a public school, her children have gone to private schools and she supports taking funding from public schools and giving it to for-profit religious schools.

How does this make her qualified as an Education Secretary?
Her family has donated over 8 million dollars to the Republican party.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 08, 2017, 10:53:10 AM »

Betsy DeVos does not have an education degree, never has been an educator, never attended a public school, her children have gone to private schools and she supports taking funding from public schools and giving it to for-profit religious schools.

Schoolin? You talking bout smart stuff again son!?  LOL. Hell, Im surprised she's not up for FBI Director with those credentials. As you've alluded to SW there is no rhyme or reason other than; she Rich, she White, she got that Religion. Everything you need to be properly educated under the G.O.D. in the U.S.A. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 11:02:42 AM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:06 AM »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 08, 2017, 12:07:50 PM »

Schoolin? You talking bout smart stuff again son!?  LOL. Hell, Im surprised she's not up for FBI Director with those credentials. As you've alluded to SW there is no rhyme or reason other than; she Rich, she White, she got that Religion. Everything you need to be properly educated under the G.O.D. in the U.S.A.
You're being awfully tough on her.  I recall reading a long time ago that her family's business built the pyramids.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 08, 2017, 12:53:11 PM »
News has always been about taking "facts" and developing an editorial position around them, usually to serve a political position.

With the vast amount of information generated by all media sources today, and the competition for the loudest voices, it was probably inevitable that "news" would eventually become untethered from anything resembling a fact, with the "facts" generated exclusively by the political position.

In psychology, this is usually referred to as "Borderline Personality Disorder", where the emotional needs of the broadcaster generate whatever false facts are necessary to justify the emotional position.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 08, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »
It is also why the politicians (and the news networks) talk in generalities:

"Hope & Change"

"Make America Great Again"

Most people fill in what they think the guy means without knowing for sure.

The news agencies let the ambiguities slide.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 01:21:19 PM by Subber »
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: February 08, 2017, 02:01:37 PM »
Is this ok? Is reporting this "hysterical"? Should we not be critical? I would submit this: I don't care what else he has ever said about anything. I don't care what any media outlet has ever reported, "hysterical" or not. This one single statement is an illegal abuse of power that requires impeachment.
http://www.learnprogress.org/trump-tape-threatening-senator/
Bunch of old shit

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 08, 2017, 02:12:38 PM »
Is this ok? Is reporting this "hysterical"? Should we not be critical? I would submit this: I don't care what else he has ever said about anything. I don't care what any media outlet has ever reported, "hysterical" or not. This one single statement is an illegal abuse of power that requires impeachment.
http://www.learnprogress.org/trump-tape-threatening-senator/

I dislike Trump a great deal. This was reported yesterday on NPR and I thought to post here as the perfect example of a hysteria based article. This is not news. It is Trump using exaggerated and emotional frothy appeal to make his henchmen laugh and cower. To give the media a bone (current day standards). And for his peasant detractors to get all hot and bothered and share online. Articles or video of Trump being a dick is not newsworthy in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:23:53 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 08, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
Articles or video of Trump being a dick is not newsworthy in my opinion.
Wow. I completely disagree. I also think, though I'm not a lawyer, that using the power of your job to threaten someone else's job is probably illegal. So right there, just saying those words, he is breaking the law. Little more than 'just' "being a dick".
Bunch of old shit

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal