Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344576 times)

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #360 on: February 07, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »

I used "dismantling" in the context of the current tax structure.

Indirect support are donations made to religious organizations who in turn support homeless programs, schools, etc.  These donations are in addition to any tax obligations they pay, so they create an excess that would otherwise have to be covered by government programs. 

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of non-religious donors that also make significant donations to charities, in some cases, to religious organizations.

Well, some time ago, I did some back of the napkin using the lowest calculation possible for estimated tax revenue from churches (note not all religious activities) and if the tax revenue was earmarked homeless people each homeless person in the US would get almost $100k per year.

I think a lot of the donations from good Americans aren't going where they are hoping it is going. This is of course why they should be forced to publish their budgets. A lot of the programs you are talking about are also getting direct government support. At least they should show their accounting, and be treated as a non-profit.
When that is said, the non-profit sector in the US has gone nuts. I know people who has a SUP / Kite teaching school as a non-profit because it is somehow a social good that people learn to SUP (while paying for it).

Exactly. Who's holding the church, in America I'm suggesting the Catholic Church, accountable?

By accounts of the church buildings here in my area, the super churches and their heads that I read about and the known immense wealth of the Vatican Im hard pressed to believe that a high percentage of church based donations are supporting a high percentage of social or economic needs in this country.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 07, 2017, 12:20:43 PM »
Could you post a few examples of what you term as 'hysteria'?
I'll chime in and go with this one.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/30/tom-brady-donald-trump-super-bowl-li-51-patriots-falcons/97235644/
Tho not hysteria per se it is this kind of crap all over out there, and which has been out there for months that leads to the hystera. I might have to compile some sort of a list. It really does seem to have settled down a little the last days or week but the stupid opinion article out there presented as news will never go away. I don't think this is really presented as news as such and is presented as an opinion so I may not be presenting a good example.
Here's another I clicked on yesterday.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/nation-now/2017/02/06/did-you-catch-these-hidden-messages-lady-gagas-halftime-performance/97537744/
For whatever it's worth I am not a fan of the Gaga really but WOW, was that a show or what? Pretty impressive.
I did not read this again but I am posting it here because my take on it when I looked at it yesterday is this person did not speak or interview Miss Gaga and this is her own take on the show presented as "this is the real thing, listen to me".  She might have nailed it with that description.....and maybe not and the take I took was that she was just guessing. So what. I didn't give the choice the choice of songs much thought, I guess others did and I am sure Miss Gaga did as well. Good for her but it's this kind of reporting that just fuels stuff up. It seems to be in the flavor of that if you supported Trump your a racist idiot. Throwing it out there in the same manner of making old white guy feel guilty because..........he's an old white guy and he should feel guilty.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:22:19 PM by lucabrasi »

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 07, 2017, 01:26:09 PM »
Well, some time ago, I did some back of the napkin using the lowest calculation possible for estimated tax revenue from churches (note not all religious activities) and if the tax revenue was earmarked homeless people each homeless person in the US would get almost $100k per year.

What a colossal waste of a napkin! ;D

If you post your calculation, I'd be happy to look at it.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 01:43:17 PM by Bean »

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 07, 2017, 03:24:51 PM »
If there is hysteria here, it's coming every bit as much from Trump as his opponents.

http://news.sky.com/story/british-mother-tells-trump-my-daughters-killing-was-not-a-terror-attack-10759415

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 07, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »
If there is hysteria here, it's coming every bit as much from Trump as his opponents.

http://news.sky.com/story/british-mother-tells-trump-my-daughters-killing-was-not-a-terror-attack-10759415
Hadn't seen that but yeah......no doubt, he sure doesn't help himself at all at times. At least (i think) he left snl alone this week.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: February 07, 2017, 05:49:58 PM »
Clearly Trump and his gang need to get their act together, that's simply inexcusable.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: February 07, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »
Could you post a few examples of what you term as 'hysteria'?
I'll chime in and go with this one.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/30/tom-brady-donald-trump-super-bowl-li-51-patriots-falcons/97235644/
Tho not hysteria per se it is this kind of crap all over out there, and which has been out there for months that leads to the hystera. I might have to compile some sort of a list. It really does seem to have settled down a little the last days or week but the stupid opinion article out there presented as news will never go away. I don't think this is really presented as news as such and is presented as an opinion so I may not be presenting a good example.
Here's another I clicked on yesterday.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/nation-now/2017/02/06/did-you-catch-these-hidden-messages-lady-gagas-halftime-performance/97537744/
For whatever it's worth I am not a fan of the Gaga really but WOW, was that a show or what? Pretty impressive.
I did not read this again but I am posting it here because my take on it when I looked at it yesterday is this person did not speak or interview Miss Gaga and this is her own take on the show presented as "this is the real thing, listen to me".  She might have nailed it with that description.....and maybe not and the take I took was that she was just guessing. So what. I didn't give the choice the choice of songs much thought, I guess others did and I am sure Miss Gaga did as well. Good for her but it's this kind of reporting that just fuels stuff up. It seems to be in the flavor of that if you supported Trump your a racist idiot. Throwing it out there in the same manner of making old white guy feel guilty because..........he's an old white guy and he should feel guilty.

I would call that pretty bad reporting and trying to make a story that may or may not be there, but I don't really see how you'd call it 'hysterical". USA Today does like to report entertainment news, sports news, and politics, and here they tie it all in one article.

re: trump supporters and racism. I know that all Trump supporters are not racist, but all racists I know are Trump supporters.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: February 07, 2017, 06:15:43 PM »

Hadn't seen that but yeah......no doubt, he sure doesn't help himself at all at times. At least (i think) he left snl alone this week.

I agree. One of Trump's main means of communication is to raise hysteria. To raise hype. To make himself look big league. Saying things that will rile up both sides - his devoted followers and his mortal deniers alike. Its Trump Communication 101 really. He uses inflated and exaggerated policies, numbers, gestures and ideas all day long. Much of it seemingly without thinking the process through. Thus, causing a larger reaction (hysteria) than justified in the end when hopefully only the half measures of his madness are actually realized. 

That said its up to each citizen on how they react to this stuff. People need to educate themselves on how other incoming administrations operated and the basics of government. I think that may help cooler heads prevail. Unfortunately we don't like change and many Americans fall prey to the pomp and circumstance that is Trump
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 06:58:10 PM by freetobeme »
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: February 07, 2017, 10:32:01 PM »

What a colossal waste of a napkin! ;D

If you post your calculation, I'd be happy to look at it.

haha. Nice use of "I don't believe you". First of all, Ive used conservative estimates, and I don't have the numbers I used back then, but here, take this:

First read this article (fascinating reading): http://www.religjournal.com/pdf/ijrr12003.pdf

So it estimates that between religion is between $300B and $4.5TN revenue depending on what you include. The medium revenue numbers at $1.5TN. If you look at, admittedly patheos isn;t very pro-religion, but these are extremely conservative estimates, and split that over the current report on homelessness in the US.
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/06/16/the-yearly-cost-of-religious-tax-exemptions-71000000000/
and
http://www.endhomelessness.org/page/-/files/2016%20State%20Of%20Homelessness.pdf

So, 71BN divided on 560 000 people gives you a $125k per homeless person.

Again I am telling you..this isn;t even counting the amount of money the state is adding to the church revenue...I doubt the churches are using their monies well...it is kind of like the food drives...giving actual food is silly because it will cost the organization more to move that can around than if you just give them money...but it is your 10th and so you do, so the system is due for an overhaul, and taxing religious organization is a start. Why should I subsidize your religion? :-)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 07, 2017, 10:47:29 PM »
I don't know about the media coverage in the US, but outside the US the conclusion for Trump's team that the events listed in the Sky News article were "under-reported" is ludicrous: mainstream media coverage of these events here and in the rest of Europe was wall-to-wall.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: February 07, 2017, 11:14:36 PM »
And here is Trump and his team getting hysterical about reports that he wears a bathrobe.

You couldn't make it up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38893302

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: February 07, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »
And here is Trump and his team getting hysterical about reports that he wears a bathrobe.

You couldn't make it up.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38893302

How about the press just dismiss that as being dumb in focus on all the real shit that trump and his goonies are perpetrating.

Literally just calling the press secretary out on saying it because it means nothing, and then quickly keep focus on the target.
The press is so incredibly easy to distract. Everything isn't important.
Hey your comment on bathrobe; really? that is what you guys focus on? Now regarding your nomination of the most unqualified person in history of education...DeVos, a person who by any standard completely failed the job interview, and you didn't fire her, do you have any standards at all?

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: February 08, 2017, 04:02:48 AM »
Nice gesture and so appreciated:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38817701

Restores my faith in human nature. It's people and acts like this that make America safe[r].

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: February 08, 2017, 04:18:27 AM »
Why should I subsidize your religion? :-)
On this point we agree, I don't believe you should. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: February 08, 2017, 05:17:51 AM »
Nice gesture and so appreciated:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38817701

Restores my faith in human nature. It's people and acts like this that make America safe[r].
Yes, safer. And nicer. I wish the Ginger Whinger would watch this and reflect on the power of compassion.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal