Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344540 times)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2017, 05:57:21 AM »
I liked the earlier video Creek. He explains it in ways I can't but try at times. Others here have been able to. If nothing else......everyone should be able to take away that Sharpton is an idot.....

Polls?
I can say.......Obama kind of grew on me in that I actually think he thought he was doing what he thought was the right thing to do whether I agreed or not. Pissed me off.....the health care and how that whole thing went down, executive orders, and other things aside I think he was probably true to himself if nothing else. Lots of things I don't agree with and I don't want ideology shoved down my throat but there really doesn't seem to be any......sleeze or anything similar oozing off of him and does seem a decent guy. Perhaps I am just caught up in his charisma but I don't think that's all of it.

Disapproval ratings. Approval ratings.
Lesbian Asian men in Hispanic households of African American suburbs of white cities with some college education think....
C'mon.......
Is the "news" splitting us up more than ever? It sure seems that way.
Different car, no satellite radio last couple weeks. Lots of NPR. Holy cow.
The evening news. This article or that one.
How many endless times did I hear 40% approval last week. I also think I heard that all encompassing and true number only had 24% republicans in it. Who knows. I don't think the people out there reporting stuff took anything away from their stupid ass polls they so gleefully followed and courted up to that Tuesday last November. I still think that night was the most entertaining live television I have ever saw.

If you think this election was entertaining...........just wait.
DNC should wait a year or two before they get a strategy for 2020. I can see Trump running as an incumbent going as an independent and the GOP bringing someone else up.
Mid terms should be entertaining as well if nothing else how they get reported on. I guess that's where the entertainment factor fits in.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 06:00:19 AM by lucabrasi »

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2017, 07:09:22 AM »
I don't think the people out there reporting stuff took anything away from their stupid ass polls they so gleefully followed and courted up to that Tuesday last November.

It is actually pretty funny how that was interpreted.  The average of polls http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5952.html were only off to the actual results by 1 percent (well within the margin of error).  The polls weren't bad, people just read them as they wanted.

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2017, 08:05:43 AM »
Apparently the left is more than just sore losers.

I intended to write that this is not like losing a high school basketball game to the cross town rival, but a friend recently posted this and she better says what I want to say.

Let me see if I can make this clear to Trump supporters: we are not sore losers, nor are we snowflakes, nor do we think that we are right and everyone else is wrong. We don't hate you, nor do we want to insult you! The truth of the matter is that we love this country, we love the progress that this country has made over the years, and we don't want to see this country destroyed! We tend to embrace facts, and the facts have shown that Donald Trump is a pretentious, vile, and unqualified baby man, who will not attend security briefings from the people who's job it is to protect us (all of us).

But he will spend hours on social media insulting Americans who disagree with him, and continually heaping praise on a brutal dictator! Understand, this man will have to work with these intelligence gathering professionals, and he has been insulting them, has even compared them to Nazi's! This places all of us in danger!

Even if you ignore the multitude of other disqualifying factors about this unhinged individual, his misogyny, his lies, his insults, narcissism, his pussy grabbing, his wanting to have sex with his own daughter, and just a plethora of other unpresidential behavior, even if you ignored all of those things, the fact that he has repeatedly insulted American citizens, including Americans who have served this country in the military, (something that he himself refused to do) yet praises a dictator, this should at least give you pause! Shouldn't it?

Please, let's not bring Hillary or president Obama into this, we get it, you hate them! let's focus on the man who'll will be charged with the safety of this country. He is at war with the people who keep us safe, he has ignored their briefings, he's insulted them, and in a few days, he will have to work with them! Please get passed your hatred for just a moment, and think about the danger this individual has place your children, your loved ones, and this nation in!

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2017, 08:39:38 AM »
My experience in social media and in my "circle" of friends, family and aquantinces is that Trump supporters are merely using a number of classic deflection tactics and are incredibly sensitive and quick to disregard his blatant lack of experience or planning. 

I know plenty of Trump supporters. My circle is not an echo chamber. I know nothing of triggers. Nor identities. I do not subscribe to a specific news outlet. And I am willing to be wrong, admit I don't know and change my mind/beliefs if more truthful information is presented = Im open minded.

I do not like Trump, the boy. The list of reasons is lengthy. The fact that I am extremely socially liberal and financially lean to the conservative side has nothing to do with it. He is a jerk and there is unrefutable evidence to support that. But he could be a great leader. I don't know. 

I did not watch the innauguration. Never have. Im not one for formalities.  I don't watch the news or spend much time disecting politics. But I do immerse myself in my community and try to help others especially those who are less fortunate. I will continue to gauge Trump by how my fellow American citizens act and feel. And continue to thank God for Alec Baldwin on SNL every week.
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2017, 09:48:51 AM »
I blame Laird.

mjb1959

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2017, 09:52:37 AM »

I intended to write that this is not like losing a high school basketball game to the cross town rival, but a friend recently posted this and she better says what I want to say.

Let me see if I can make this clear to Trump supporters: we are not sore losers, nor are we snowflakes, nor do we think that we are right and everyone else is wrong. We don't hate you, nor do we want to insult you! The truth of the matter is that we love this country, we love the progress that this country has made over the years, and we don't want to see this country destroyed! We tend to embrace facts, and the facts have shown that Donald Trump is a pretentious, vile, and unqualified baby man, who will not attend security briefings from the people who's job it is to protect us (all of us).

But he will spend hours on social media insulting Americans who disagree with him, and continually heaping praise on a brutal dictator! Understand, this man will have to work with these intelligence gathering professionals, and he has been insulting them, has even compared them to Nazi's! This places all of us in danger!

Even if you ignore the multitude of other disqualifying factors about this unhinged individual, his misogyny, his lies, his insults, narcissism, his pussy grabbing, his wanting to have sex with his own daughter, and just a plethora of other unpresidential behavior, even if you ignored all of those things, the fact that he has repeatedly insulted American citizens, including Americans who have served this country in the military, (something that he himself refused to do) yet praises a dictator, this should at least give you pause! Shouldn't it?

Please, let's not bring Hillary or president Obama into this, we get it, you hate them! let's focus on the man who'll will be charged with the safety of this country. He is at war with the people who keep us safe, he has ignored their briefings, he's insulted them, and in a few days, he will have to work with them! Please get passed your hatred for just a moment, and think about the danger this individual has place your children, your loved ones, and this nation in!

how can you possibly say you are not a "sore loser"??? and go to the name calling in your 1st paragraph??? actions and words tell me who you are!!!

i disagreed with everything BHO has done(other than get bin laden) but bever called him anything than President!! that is the difference between me and you...

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2017, 11:55:02 AM »
And so it begins

Interior Department officials have been ordered to shut down the organization's official Twitter accounts indefinitely after the National Park Service shared tweets comparing attendance at President Donald Trump's inauguration against former President Barack Obama's.

“All bureaus and the department have been directed by incoming administration to shut down Twitter platforms immediately until further notice,” said an email obtained by the Washington Post circulated to Park Service employees Friday.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/obama-vs-trump-inauguration-attendance-nps-233937

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2017, 12:27:45 PM »
And so it begins
Armageddon!!!!!!!!!!  :o
It takes a quiver to do that.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2017, 01:35:18 PM »

Facts that say a lot...

"Anti-Trump protests also broke out Friday in US cities, including New York, Seattle, Dallas, Chicago and Portland, Oregon. Authorities in Seattle say one person was in critical condition at a hospital with a gunshot wound"

so pompous and secure in the understanding of all things.

I think it's a bit more nuanced than that, based on what I see personally.

This morning I saw my 90-something-year-old, former Midwest farm girl  neighbor getting ready to go downtown for the parade in the half-freezing torrential rain with her "boys"--the gay couple she lives with. She's hardly a "sore loser", "pompous" or anything else, and neither are "her boys" or the other people I know who are protesting--just as none of the many people I know who voted for Trump fit the dismissive descriptions we all hear about them.

I'm sure there are pompous, sore losers among the protesters, just as there are racist, redneck Trump supporters, but most on either side don't match those extreme descriptions.  They'll also be plenty of anarchists (about 1% of whom voted) rioting and causing mayhem, but again they have no more to do with the mainstream "left" as the KKK has to do with "the right". 

And I wouldn't read anything into the Seattle shooting.  First of all, anyone who's shooting is a nutcase who isn't representative of anyone but other nutcases, and certainly not of other protesters.  If a shooting during a protest wasn't an extreme thing, you wouldn't be reading about it across the country. 

And maybe he IS a nut from "the left" who was a "sore loser" plus worse.  Or, think of it this way (since we don't know all the facts--the shooting occurred at a protest at the University of Washington.  People were protesting a speech being given at Kane Hall by a Breitbart editor.  (The fact that a liberal university in a liberal city was sponsoring that speaker whose views differ from maybe 99% of students there is a huge, stereotype-breaking positive event in my mind.) The victim was among the protesters.  Maybe he was there protesting the protesters, but it's as likely (until more is known) that he was a protester from "the left" shot by someone unhappy with the protesters. 

And if it does turn out to be someone from "the right" shooting someone from "the left" it will say absolutely nothing about the vast majority of "conservatives", "Trump supporters" or any other group outside "the left" any more than his turning out to be from "the left" would say anything about other protesters.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 01:39:28 PM by pdxmike »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2017, 02:34:08 PM »

so pompous and secure in the understanding of all things.

I am waiting, with much interest, to see how he handles the job.... because unlike you..... I don't know the ending yet. :)
I have high expectations, but I actually have to see how he proceeds, now that he is in the chair.

It must be wonderful to know already... how do you do that?
That's at least a bit misleading and unfair.

If you call today's protesters "sore losers" you can pretty much say that about all kinds of protesters throughout history.  After all, people don't protest if they've won. The election definitely WAS a case of a decision being made, and people being unhappy with the outcome. But so was the decision to fight in Vietnam and initiate the draft, the decision to allow slavery, the decision to prohibit alcohol, decisions to segregate races, prohibit interracial marriage, and on and on.  I wouldn't call citizens in 1850 who were protesting the federal government's earlier, all-done-legally, decision to allow slavery "sore losers".

And of course you're right that nobody can predict the future, but at the same time, today's protesters don't have any need to predict it, nor are they claiming they can.  They're protesting things that Trump has already said he will do.  What he ultimately will do is unknown, but plenty of what he intends to do is already known, because he's told us.  There's nothing wrong with people showing they're unhappy with the things he's said he intends to do. 

Protesting is part of what's right with America, and characterizing protesters or those who support them as  "sore losers", "pompous and secure in the understanding of all things", etc. is dismissive.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2017, 03:10:33 PM »
"Sore losers" is just a term Trump supporters use to minimize and belittle the very real and very legitimate concerns of those who disagree with the Trump platform. It's a childish way of deflecting your opposition. Similar to Trumps "WRONG".
"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »
I agree entirely, pdxmike and freetobeme. The people protesting Trump are not sore losers. They are very worried that Trump is going to do the US, and its citizens (and indeed the world) irreparable harm. Given what we have seen so far, this is not a possibility that can be easily dismissed. Even the most ardent Trump supporter will admit that he can on occasions be a loose cannon. STC and others here think that Trump will be a positive force. But other opinions are available, and surely they should not be shouted down? Instead, how about listening to their fears and considering what it would take to ease them? Surely any reasonable person would not want a large section of their countrymen to feel anxious and unsafe? Riots and protests are not good for anyone, and they won't be stopped by anything except dialogue. The more Trump dismisses their fears, the stronger the protest movements will get. And since he didn't win the popular vote, he doesn't have numbers on his side - nor do his supporters. So a little bit of understanding and consideration might be wise.

It's not just the US who are protesting Trump either. There was a huge protest in London, UK today. Have we ever in our history had protests in the U.K. about the inauguration of a US president? I doubt it.

Video here:

http://a.msn.com/01/en-gb/AAm5uCL?ocid=se
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:37:04 PM by Area 10 »

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »
There was a huge protest in London, UK today. Have we ever in our history had protests in the U.K. about the inauguration of a US president? I doubt it.
There might have been another one but it probably happened weeks or months after because of the way news traveled.

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »
Well i can report...(unless it's fake), that the ocean doesn't seem to care, and served up some good ol homecooked meatloaf  today, on the first day of the Apocalypse.....
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »
Other protests in:

Melbourne
Macau
Ghana
Bangkok
South Africa
New Zealand
Italy
Germany
Hungary
Finland
The Czech Republic
France
Mexico

It's quite extraordinary how far the anti-Trump movement is stretching across the world. Indeed, if there is any positive to come out of this, it might be that he could unite the rest of the world, albeit unfortunately in opposition to him and the new US policies he promises.

This doesn't sound like good business to me. No wonder he's just done a complete U turn and is now sucking up to the CIA like there is no tomorrow, claiming he is "1000%" in support of them, despite having spent the last few months deriding them and claiming that the CIA Director pedals fake information.

He's also wiped billions off the value of those US-based companies he's said he will punish for using overseas labour. That doesn't sound like good business either.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal