Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344482 times)

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2017, 01:12:54 PM »
Why do you think small business confidence is suddenly up and some big businesses are pulling back from moving overseas?

No business is or has plans to pull back from moving overseas because of Trumps threats. His threats are illegal and unenforceable.

I suppose you think Trump's election has nothing to do with it?

Yes they trump created an effect by planning on relieving certain investment regulations. This can allow short term gains for the large industrial investors, but is the same slippery slope that Bush created in mortgage back securities.

How did the Dow get withing striking range of 2000.   Hint, who was President for the past 8 years

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 01:52:44 PM »
Blaming mortgage backed securities for the recession is sort of like trying to pin a murder on a gun.  MBS's are just a financial tool. It was actually the subprime lending policy that fueled the housing bubble and sparked the great recession. (Sure, globalization, technology shifts etc. all played a role). 

But, the take-away from the subprime lending experiment is that not everyone is fit for home ownership.  And here is why this matters today.  I could imagine Trump stating that publicly, but for most of our other leaders, regardless of party affiliation, it just wouldn't be PC. 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »
It was actually the subprime lending policy that fueled the housing bubble and sparked the great recession.

I agree the subprime lending was instrumental and it was the relaxing of regulations on subprime lending and the relaxing on banking investments in mbs that was was a big part of creating the financial house of cards. 

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 02:09:39 PM »
Blaming mortgage backed securities for the recession is sort of like trying to pin a murder on a gun.  MBS's are just a financial tool. It was actually the subprime lending policy that fueled the housing bubble and sparked the great recession. (Sure, globalization, technology shifts etc. all played a role). 

But, the take-away from the subprime lending experiment is that not everyone is fit for home ownership.  And here is why this matters today.  I could imagine Trump stating that publicly, but for most of our other leaders, regardless of party affiliation, it just wouldn't be PC.

For me, the big picture is that it was government policies, subsidies, government monopoly powers granted, and cronyism.
They typically create a bubble (in the process of helping some factions) and then eventually it craters of its own weight.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 02:45:24 PM »
You lost.
Our turn.
Get in the back seat and strap in.... you are in for a bumpy ride.... and I can't wait  :)

So you are willing to identify with Trump? Impressive in all the worst ways.
I gotta say after the insanity today I probably would be ashamed to even breathe the same air as that numpty.
Is this why you started this thread, as bait?
If so, it came with the wrong warning, it should have said [warning ~ the beatings will continue until the conservatives improve]
Whatever makes you feel better about losing I guess.
+1
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »
Is this why you started this thread, as bait?
If so, it came with the wrong warning, it should have said [warning ~ the beatings will continue until the conservatives improve]
Whatever makes you feel better about losing I guess.

No sorry. It was a sigh. I don't think you need to pretend conservatives are victims here.
In regards to losing...any time this is about losing or winning we all lose. Politics is not a zero sum game.

Re the markets...I still think the long term impact on the markets will be bad..in general, markets react negatively to uncertainty, and that is definitely heightened here. Like Pono I don't care about Trumps sexlife as long as the participants are there willingly.

I do care about how he treats people. When someone who obviously ridiculed a disabled person on a national stage, who admitted to sexual offenses stands and say oh it wasn't so...it matters. I would have been at least as negative to Trump if had run as a democrat. I mean traditionally he is not even that conservative...he just doesn;t care and he certainly does not have a platform outside of himself. I think this clown will delay the potential we have for a positive change in the world.

I tend to like the dialectics between GOP and DEMS ruling alternately...I think that is part of the economic success of the US....I do not think Trump will continue this at all.

Pono: A friend of mine was part of one of the situations described in the Red Notice book. He told me some almost unbelievable stories of escape. Pretty insane stuff. I have yet to read it, but it is on my list.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
Oh my....

It is breathtaking, ain't it?

I actually saw a few minutes of the press conference yesterday. I also was a little surprised at how it was covered on the evening news with David Muir. I didn't see the q and a portion during the conference and I didn't click on the link about free press (rsf.org/en/ranking) (i should and I will)  but.......is that even endangered?  Good on him for not answering some reporters question just for the fact of he was from CNN.  How did the headlines go "unsubstantiated and unverified reports..........".
Geez, why wouldn't you just say....."this might be made up.....".  Golden showers? That's what it is? At least it's not having his stomach pumped or playing with gerbils or the glass coffee table trick. Yeah, who cares what two grown and consenting adults do but.......that is something that could be used against him. Who knows if it's true or not. In my mind free press is about being able to put out there anything you want. We're doing a pretty good job of that. You read any columnists? Look at any cartoons? Watch the evening news? I don't see not answering questions from a certain organization, especially in that context as anything remotely close to a danger on it.
This stuffs been around  "in certain press and Washington circles" for months? BS on that I think. More than one is too many people to keep that thing hushed, especially before an election. Get real. But anyways......

Narcissistic, arrogant, and lots else said here for sure. The pussy grabbing bothered me some as did the reporter deal Meryl spoke of. Denying he wasn't mimicking the reporter does say a lot but............let's see what happens. Flying by the seat of his pants for sure, that's been obvious for awhile. I ain't got a problem with that. Don't lots of us? Never heard him talk in the third person. I will have to pay more attention. Wouldn't surprise me. I heard a comic talking about him. Has hung out with him golfing. Said something like "he's a great guy and fun but kind of like a fourth grader. If you make fun of his shoes he's coming back at you attacking your mother."

The "fake news" stuff is kind of concerning for sure. Sure gets a tizzy going. I really doubt it hedged the election but am sure there was some out there. I see it as lazy campaigning by one side and........thought out campaigning by the other. And you can't factor in the popular vote bs either. Campaigning by both sides would have been different as someone else said earlier

I only watch network news, no cable news and have been trying to watch a bit a few times a week. I find it amazing how stuff is getting relayed.

Does anyone really give a rats ass about his taxes. As complicated as those must be I am sure he has some of the best accountants out there to pay the least he can. Wouldn't you?

Money is getting pretty easy to get again. All sorts of ways on all sorts of fronts. You notice all the offers? We going to crash again. Somehow, sometime it has to correct itself and we start over. Where are we on that clock? Someone tell me please.

We have a house of representatives and a senate. I think we going to be fine. Exciting and bumpy and interesting. Good we ain't got no career politician for a change I think. Let's see what happens. With that said I think it is a shame there is so much partisanship going on that Obama didn't feel he could bring a supreme court nominee to the table without really making his last bit in office a shit show. Not that I would necessarily agree with who he might bring but still a shame it is that way.

I thought Obama was pretty damn good the other night. Is he an amazing speaker or what? Not that I like everything he says but......

How does a Norwegian newspaper translated out seem like directions translated to English for something I got from China? I couldn't make heads nor tails of that other than all negative.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 04:50:33 PM by lucabrasi »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »
I admit he's a dick.....lots of folks held their noses while voting. Hillary was not only a continuation of the status quo she was an acceleration of the things most don't want. Pretty simple.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 05:36:41 PM »
Yes, the translation of the Norwegian magazine article is just a crude Google translation.  But, please don't confuse this with mainstream news, it's really more of the tabloid variety.

As far as politics being a zero sum game Tauts, that really depends upon your perspective.  An economic dispute between husband and wife is a good example of a zero sum game.  But, deciding where the tax brackets fall and which programs get funded (Uncle Sam reallocating our earnings) is not.  And certainly, foreign policy that affect trade our balance is not. 

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 06:32:57 PM »
Most people did't want continuation????
Then how come Hillary got 2.9 million more votes that Trump.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 06:50:36 PM »
One on the unintended pluses of watching a Trump news conference is that now, Paul Ryan who I’ve never agreed with, seems like a breath of fresh air.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 06:53:44 PM by southwesterly »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »
Seriously, really, seriously, the "popular vote is the only thing that matters" crap is getting old. You can get 2.9 million extra votes in New York City and not even carry the majority. Is that who represents your interests?

If that were the system we have, then Hillary would be president and the interests of anyone who lived anywhere but in a major coastal city would come somewhere after street people in Bangladesh. Think it through and get over it. That isn't the system we have, it isn't the system any functioning "democracy" has, and that isn't because everyone up until now was stupid.

Luca--I've been concerned about fake news for more than a year. Not in the context that is now diluting the concept--being a simple bullshit story--but as a real and systematic propaganda tool. Hundreds of "news organizations" appeared from nowhere, with extensive archives of news articles that made them look established--except a lot of the stuff was randomly repeated across sites--word for word. Most of them are gone now, either because Facebook and Twitter are doing a better job of weeding them out, or because their job is done, and it's best that they disappear.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:38:20 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Subber

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 08:53:04 PM »
They weren't competing to get the popular vote.

They were competing to get the electoral vote.

We really don't know who would have won if they were competing to get the popular vote
since they weren't competing for it.

We do know that Trump won the vote they were competing for.
Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue Noserider 10'1"x31"x4.25," 164 liters, 24 lbs, 1 box
Pearson Laird Surftech Longboard 10'6"x23"x29.75"x18"x4.375," 154 liters, 24 lbs, 3 boxes
Takayama Ali'i II Surftech 11'x21.375”x28.5”x17.25”x 4.25,” 162 liters, 26 lbs, 3 boxes

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »
If I saw Kellyanne Conway glide by with her paddle facing backwards and I politely informed her, she would deny it. If I showed her photographic evidence of that fact, she would vehemently deny it. All the while with that fake condescending smile on her face.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal