Author Topic: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]  (Read 344553 times)

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: What a got damn shitshow. [warning politics]
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 01:54:45 AM »
The mainstream media are now fighting back. No-one is saying that the allegations that Trump is a puppet for Russia (because of claims of historic sexual misconduct by him with prostitutes in Russia), or saying that the dossier is credible. However a BBC reporter has just said a moment ago that there are fresh claims from another (also unsubstantiated) source that there are both video and audio tapes of the events in question, and multiple instances of these events. The ex-M16 officer who compiled the original dossier has gone into hiding, and the media are reporting that he has a history of producing credible information. There have certainly been instances lately in the U.K. media of allegations of sexual wrongdoing that have turned out to be untrue, so everyone is being very cautious. However, in the past where there are claims of video or audio evidence, this has very often turned out to be true, so it is clear that this story isn't going to go away.

It seems likely that Trump supporters would have found the press briefing quite delightful, and perhaps that now there is pretty much nothing he could do anyway to put them off. As one Trump supporter interviewed said, as he shrugged his shoulders, "probably other presidents have done worse".

So Trump seems to have achieved a level beyond accountability in his supporters' minds, perhaps. In which case there really isn't much point debating the issue, I don't think.

Whatever happens with Trump's presidency, his lasting legacy might be a re-writing of the expectations of the people as regards presidential conduct.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 02:56:20 AM »
Those who saw that press conference,
2 questions to ask yourselves:

1. Where do you think USA ranks today [worldwide] in freedom of it’s press? Have an honest guess, pick a number, before peeking at the answer.

rsf.org/en/ranking 

2. Which direction do you think it is heading in the short term?

Things need to get worse before people react and change it for the better. I have hope this may just make people react and make it better. The YouTube independent channels are already on the rise.

supthecreek

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 07:10:27 AM »
To the panic stricken:

I wonder if any of you will actually understand what Trump is doing as president.
I doubt it.

That would require curiosity.
Curiosity doesn’t happen with prejudice.

Pity.

There will be quite a lot going on.
You will never allow yourself to see clearly, for it will be contrary to your beliefs.

Well at any rate…. you will have much to scream about.
Getting back in shape is never painless. :)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 07:17:07 AM »
^ I'm glad someone over there knows whats going on!

I feel much better already.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 07:40:18 AM »
Personally, I don't care if he gets golden showers daily. The sexual antics of politicians is meaningless as long as it's with consenting adults, and I've never understood why we want to hold politicians (or anyone in public life) to standards of behavior that we can't meet.

I'm concerned about his cabinet choices and appointments, but I expected big changes and it looks like we're going to get them. How much they stick and how widespread they are is one of the things we'll have to wait and see. I do know that I was pretty tired of the corporate governance of a bought administration.

The likelihood of Trump being a Putin Puppet, subject to blackmail seems slim. Why would he care? What would Putin say about Trump that anyone would be shocked by? At any rate, the opportunity for that is gone. More like "only Nixon could go to China" at this point.

I despise the guy based on what I see in his public persona, I do consider him to be a classic narcissist. But I'm not joining the screamers. There's not a lot to like in DC. This shitshow has focused Americans on their government in a way that hasn't been seen in a century. It's like having a dry socket "freshened" by your dentist. You might want to strangle him while he's doing it, but it's what it takes to make it heal.

Incidentally, I just finished reading "Red Notice". If you'd like to get an idea of what Putin and the Russian Government is like, give that a read. Interesting view into hedge funds, investing in developing countries, and the corruption level that remains in Russia under Putin, who stole most of the country's infrastructure from the Oligarchs who stole it first.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

all~wet

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 09:24:19 AM »
Yeah.......... always seems to go that way... the titillating angle before anything with real substance.... importance. This sort of trivial obsession (... and that both candidates were so compromised- had sooo very much to hide) is what distracted/prevented any kind of substantive debate or examination in the election.

The sexual exploits of Trump- and with his background I absolutely assume there is a rather "rich" history to draw from... are the least of my concerns. (Caveat being consensual)  Where his money is, who he owes and the conflict of interest it presents/the influence this wields over his policy decisions and those of his cabinet concern me waaaay more than tabloid fodder.

When Trump went bankrupt the last time, he couldn't get a dime from US banks who had been screwed a few times too many. So.... who invested in him- who is he beholden to- who has he/his empire by the short hairs?? How much does he owe say.... Russian "bankers".... which in that country are one in the same as Putin/the Russian Gov't. (Guess our nation is going that way too it seems.) Sure would be nice to see Trump''s financial records/taxes. Coming any day I am sure.

That Trump appoints an Exxon/Mobile oil man.... with huge ties to..... Russia... to Secretary of State? To me... that's a concern. A large part of his cabinet are concerning. The newly picked Treasury Secretary, Steven Mnuchin, spent 17 years at Goldman Sachs. Trump’s top incoming White House adviser, Steve Bannon, Goldman Sachs. Anthony Scaramucci? Same.

Are these interests wielding power over our gov't anything new? Certainly not. The Dems answer to much the same. I suppose the biggest change is we have removed all pretense. Eliminated the middleman. Why pay millions to influence policy when you can find a seat in the cabinet and write it?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:52:36 AM by all~wet »

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 10:06:07 AM »
You lost.
Our turn.
Get in the back seat and strap in.... you are in for a bumpy ride.... and I can't wait  :)

So you are willing to identify with Trump? Impressive in all the worst ways.
I gotta say after the insanity today I probably would be ashamed to even breathe the same air as that numpty.
Is this why you started this thread, as bait?
If so, it came with the wrong warning, it should have said [warning ~ the beatings will continue until the conservatives improve]
Whatever makes you feel better about losing I guess.
It takes a quiver to do that.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 10:12:48 AM »
To the panic stricken:

I wonder if any of you will actually understand what Trump is doing as president.
I doubt it.

That would require curiosity.
Curiosity doesn’t happen with prejudice.

Pity.

There will be quite a lot going on.
You will never allow yourself to see clearly, for it will be contrary to your beliefs.

Well at any rate…. you will have much to scream about.
Getting back in shape is never painless. :)

There is nothing to understand.  Thats my beef with Trump....there's nothing there.  Golden showering, grabbing by the pussy, racist, sexist, narcissistic, nepotising, Big-business screw-the-little-man, white-supremacist, global-warming denying, anti-scientist fuck hole that he is, its the fact that he is dumber than a board that scares and bugs me the most.  At least we know where he stands on all the other stuff. 

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 10:18:16 AM »
Trump has been rewarded his entire life for being a gradually escalating version of what we have today.  We should expect exactly what we have seen all along.  He is an ego driven fellow who has an unusual lack of compassion.  That is often a very individually successful combination.  Who among us could not have more (materially speaking) if we were entirely unbound from our ethics?  Of course, things fall apart quickly if too many play by those rules but most will self-govern for a variety of reasons and this leaves a viable path for men like Trump.  He started with a fortune, always has had access to absurd financing, and has never wanted for anything or needed to strive.  He is a toddler who has never been told no and we have handed him our house keys. 

Is he unintelligent?  He has a great sense for people's actual motivations and played on that masterfully during the election.  He understands that most of what people portray about themselves is false and he appealed correctly to the underlying truths.  Does he speak like a 5th grader as a tactic?  Who knows.  It is certainly part of the fog of Trump.  The world was looking straight at him all day long and most failed to see what was occurring.  There is an intelligence to that.

It is clear that he is winging it on most issues.  He has defined financial/economic leanings and understands that realm as it has applied to his own dealings and likely a bit further.  He has a poor or absent understanding of many other aspects of his new job.  That doesn't mean he will fail but rather it puts increased importance on his new hires. 

He is already a failure in terms of civility.  The racist, sexist, crassness that defined his run and continues to date is a stain.  Much like we would not want to trade places with Donald ourselves, it would be a shame to see the country become a reflection of his persona. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 11:02:24 AM »
It happened, it's done, how about we revisit this conversation in 3.5 years. By then we should have some indication of what kind of job he'll do. Let's remember taut that you are also the one that predicted we would see our 401k's disappear with Trump's win...now we have the DOW skirting 20,000, small business confidence at levels we haven't seen since the 80's, major announcements of companies pulling back from overseas.....doesn't sound to doom and gloom to me. But lets wait 4 years and see where we are. Pretty sure if Obama couldn't trash the country in 8 (from a right-wing point of view) Trump won't be able to in 4 and the pendulum had swung far enough to the left for this cycle.

Best thing about this is the depantsing of the major media outlets. Not sure why they are suddenly so concerned with fake news....they've had their own version for years. I'm hearing now about schools in liberal districts that are giving courses in spotting fake news....I doubt it includes lying by omission so the major outlets are safe.... ::)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:03:57 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 11:20:28 AM »
The dow in skirting  2000 because  of  Trump ?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 12:12:44 PM »
I was pointing out that taut's prediction of a crash was wrong as I believe most of the rest of the doom and gloom stuff liberals are spouting is.....and even the financial rags are calling this the "Trump rally". I guess if you prefer you could say it's up because Obama is leaving... ;)

Why do you think small business confidence is suddenly up and some big businesses are pulling back from moving overseas? I suppose you think Trump's election has nothing to do with it?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:18:14 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 12:24:47 PM »
Why do they play 4 quarters of football? Just let whoever scores first win the game.

SUPcheat

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »
Can any President really compete with JFK's sexaholism, which likely contributed to his assassination, since he didn't consider anybody's wife or girl friend out of bounds?  And yet, the publicity engines were so effective, there are still people who regard him as some kind of saint.

I would more likely go with the theory that Trump's beholden condition is financial to criminal elements, likely Russian in origin.  The Russian mob is so intricately bound into the warp and weave of their government now, there is little to distinguish the two.

I'm delighted that Trump's election was a poke in the eye of political correctness and general, nauseating, delusional liberal blather (which I am accosted with routinely in a place like Santa Cruz), but how come with 350 million people in this country, we can't get a single decent candidate for President?

I think Trump is a sock puppet for shadows as yet unlighted, but most candidates are.  I regard Trump more as a shallow, Barnum and Bailey opportunist who would sell out his mother on a whim rather than a true conservative.  However, I don't think the Republican Party represents classical conservatives, either, any more.
2013 Fanatic Prowave LTD 9'3"x30.5x@134L
Sunova Speeed 8'10"x29.12@131L
Sunova Flow 8'7"x30.25"@121L
Carbon 9.3x32@163L Hammer
Me: 6'1"@230 lbs 68 years old

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2017, 12:32:13 PM »
Really? I'm the one saying lets have this play out...libs are the ones saying its the apocalypse...before the game has even started. Right wing nut jobs screamed the sky is falling when Obama was elected. Now it's the lefts turn I guess. Maybe you guys that are doing all the hand wringing before the game starts should stop and see if anyone even scores?

And again...this was in relation to a taut post in the previous thread about a crash if trump was elected...inspired by the fact that the DOW futures were off 800 points at a single point in time...election night....absolutely appropriate in response to this.

Oh...and how about answering the questions...you certainly expect answers to yours. I suppose it's easier to ignore and deflect...look you're learning from Trump already.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:46:50 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal