Author Topic: Rain & Bacteria  (Read 7625 times)

RichH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Rain & Bacteria
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 09:29:52 AM »
Thanks for the info on Donna and her efforts. I had moved away when all that was happening and it certainly explains the heightened awareness whenever I visit and it rains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rich

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 10:14:23 AM »
Well l wasn't very smart and couldn't hold back. Got out in the water  at La Jolla shores about 6:45. High tide was 8:15.  You could just see all the shit floating in the water. When I got out around 9:15 the side walk was filled with nasty water from the trash cans and bathrooms. It was pretty disgusting and just praying I don't sick & won't do that again. What really sucks is I just got to rinse w/ the shower water w/ no soap and had to come straight to work. Caught some nice swell but I don't think it's worth the risk & won't be doing it again. Don't let me down immune system.

seadart

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 03:08:40 PM »
I've surfed Lajolla shores a couple of mornings a week for many years.  Close to work.  I've only had one or two eye or ear infections in a lot of years and sometimes I will surf right as a big rain storm is starting or 24 hours after.  Once there has been several rain storms in a season Scripps/ Lajolla Shores is not very polluted (rich people's poop is cleaner you see).  You do see trash and garbage in the water after big holiday weekends.  Avoid the drain at Avenida De La Playa.   Also I carry fresh water and rinse out my ears, eyes, nose and mouth and throat after surfing especially if there has been a recent rain.

Cardiff at the lagoon mouth, Del Mar Dog Beach, Tourmaline, and the breaks just south of the San Diego River outlet as well as any thing within 5 miles of Tijuanna river outlet are the places to avoid after storms.

RichH

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 06:42:20 PM »
Well l wasn't very smart and couldn't hold back. Got out in the water  at La Jolla shores about 6:45. High tide was 8:15.  You could just see all the shit floating in the water. When I got out around 9:15 the side walk was filled with nasty water from the trash cans and bathrooms. It was pretty disgusting and just praying I don't sick & won't do that again. What really sucks is I just got to rinse w/ the shower water w/ no soap and had to come straight to work. Caught some nice swell but I don't think it's worth the risk & won't be doing it again. Don't let me down immune system.

Yikes!  Now I don't recall that being an issue in 1978...

Rich

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 07:50:08 PM »
With the current California weather this won't be a concern for long. Everything is getting well scoured with water flow. Today was astonishing--Maui-style rain here in Canyon Lake. The water level in the lake is up several feet--the palm trees in the park next to the Trout's house where we are staying are like little tropical islands--surrounded by water.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 07:52:45 PM »
We have an issue here on the Hudson. Sometimes bacteria or fecal runoff values get high. There's a good organization called Riverkeeper that constantly tests the river. I see their boats pass me by from the to time. They always post any time there's a problem.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2017, 09:00:23 PM »
With the current California weather this won't be a concern for long. Everything is getting well scoured with water flow. Today was astonishing--Maui-style rain here in Canyon Lake. The water level in the lake is up several feet--the palm trees in the park next to the Trout's house where we are staying are like little tropical islands--surrounded by water.
I think you might see some of the lower levels on those houses flood. I don't know if you saw my earlier post on a separate thread, but I designed a few homes there in Canyon Lakes. I think only one got built. It was around 2006 or 07. There was something about no bathrooms on the lower levels because of the potential for flooding. Apparently the top of the dam is above the lower finish floor on the lower levels. The code allows you to build rec rooms at that level. 

The ocean looks pretty muddy right now. Nothing but brown water in the waves. I'll pass. I'm actually getting a lot of work done ::) This sucks big!
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Zooport

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 09:20:46 PM »
I think the biggest danger with dirty water is getting it into your sinuses.   So I'll surf after or during a rain, if the surf is worth it, but I'll wear nose plugs and ear plugs when I do.  Being sure to stay away from runoff areas.  No water going inside my body.  Then I rinse off carefully, go home and take a thorough bath with tea tree soap. 
8'6 Soul Compass
9'1 Sunova Creek
9'6 WaveStorm SUP
9'8 Starboard Element

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 10:58:59 PM »
Chanting helps.

I'd find all this rain pretty irritating if friends in Hood river didn't keep sending me snow pictures.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:03:48 PM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 05:19:30 AM »
^ Kite-snowboarding? I didn't even know there was such a thing!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2017, 10:11:41 AM »
^ Kite-snowboarding? I didn't even know there was such a thing!
Where have you been? I met a guy years ago who does kite snowboarding tours. They have a spot with a snow covered frozen lake, meadow and slope that's wide open. Got to have the right spot.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2017, 10:27:47 AM »

I think they were kiting on snow even before water.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 10:29:59 AM by Badger »
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

Califoilia

• Axis Demo Rep
  • Teahupoo Status
  • San Clemente
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »
Several years ago when I lived within walking distance of Doheny, I ventured out a month or more after the last rain, and even after showering off at the park, and then again with a hot shower immediately after I got home....still ended up with some ugly, itchy rash on my legs, arms, and a slight bit on the rest of my body.

GD thing last for what seemed like ever, and the only thing that seemed to relieve it, and eventually made it go away , was showering/scrubbing with AVEENO Oat and Chamomile Body Wash....or maybe it just ran it's course, and the soap didn't do "sheet".

Anyway, now don't do Doho until a month or more after the creek/sewer sand berm is back in place, and there's been adequate time for the poop bobbers or whatever else is in that damn water to be cycled away. 

This means "Don't Go!" at Doho.....
....because this is what you're surfing in for weeks/months after the fact....  :o >:(
Me: 6'1"/185...(2) 5'1" Kings Foil/Wing Boards...7'10 Kings DW Board...9'6" Bob Pearson "Laird Noserider"...14' Lahui Kai "Manta"...8'0" WaveStorm if/when the proning urges still hit.

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 08:00:25 PM »
Glad i live Maui...

hbsteve

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2017, 10:57:32 AM »
This is a picture of the Santa Ana River this morning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal