Author Topic: Winter SUP surf Tofino  (Read 7137 times)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Winter SUP surf Tofino
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »
Thanks WSup,

I suspect you have this but this is Bert Burger's thoughts on the Skate.

Skate by Bert Burger
"Hey guys , just a little more info on the Skate ..of all the boards in our range apart from the new Shroom , the Skate likes really soft, flat, open waves , with gently spilling lips and rolling whitewater .. the rocker is the flattest of all models , so once your moving it continues to carry speed by itself , only needing the mildest of waves to propel it along .. with generous tail area , it has loads of drive off soft sections .. with the noticeable harder bottom edge , the water releases low off the rail , making the board sit high on the water and skate along on top .. the straighter section of outline through the tail , allows it to go fast and make sections if the wave walls up..its weakness is a power turn in the pocket in more powerful waves , it will have a slow rail to rail transition in a sucky section and tend to drift earlier if over powered .. hence its favored conditions of soft, rolling, small waves with open faces.... regards BERT"
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
KeNalu Konihi 84 (primary paddle)
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2016, 07:50:25 PM »
Hi FRP.... I enjoyed your videos! Thanks for posting them.
Always good to see other surf spots, especially with the landscape and access... things that tell more of a story than simply waves.

I love the way the Skate looks when paddling it.... very appealing nose shape... and you had the right board for those conditions, super stable and an easy board to surf.

I am a bit skeptical of the paddle leash... Do you use it in bigger waves?
You are obviously happy with it, or you wouldn't be using it.
Tell us more about it.
I would not want my paddle spinning around my body like a chopper blade in bigger surf.

I have only let go of my paddle several times.... the times when I fell in such a way, as to rip my shoulder out if I held on.

Holy crap.... a wind gust just almost blew my house down  :o
Gusts to 70 tonight and a low of 13*
It is has only gotten away from me 2 times, and it was easy enough to prone paddle in for it.

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »
Thanks Creek. Yes the paddle leash. I guess that I come to SUP surfing from a background of kayaking where one of the mantras is "never let go of your paddle". Which is I think a very good plan but we would alway would have a back up plan one of which in ocean kayaking is a spare paddle. Open coast kayaking on the west coast of Vancouver Island is not for the faint of heart.  A bit over a year ago  I broke my board leash and had a very long swim in conditions that I should likely not have been out in but I still had ahold of the paddle and found it useful especially when resting on my back to keep moving forward (well technically backward). Without the paddle I am not sure that I would have made it to shore. It got me thinking a lot about some form of paddle leash. After a month or so of mulling it over came up with this and have one on both my paddles. Most of the time I surf early in the morning alone and often on a deserted beach. The leash seems to just disappear and I don't even notice it when paddling now. The biggest surf that I go out in is perhaps a bit overhead. Yes interesting question do you want to be attached to your paddle? For me the answer is yes I think so but I am new to surfing and I am interested any discussion. There may be situations where the answer might be yes such as a downwinder with a 30 knot wind and then situations such as big wave surfing where the answer is no. In between this not sure ??? There is a wealth of knowledgeable paddlers on this forum. Should I start a separate topic or is this idea a none starter? Has it ever come up before?

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

"The time spent surfing is time that is added to my life" “In the ocean we are all connected”
Anon

supthecreek

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 07:33:33 AM »
I hear you about the paddle being important.... but not as dire in surfing, as any kind of ocean paddling IMO
Paddle blades are sharp and if attached to you, but not under your control, I can imagine potential mayhem in hard braking waves.

Once, when my leash snapped, I was 400 yards out, alone in winter. OH waves and foggy.
I laid on my back, kicked my feet and "paddled" myself to shore, using the paddle as a kayak paddle.
I laid it across my chest, short on the blade end.... long shaft on the handle end... and simply rowed my body in, like a kayak :)

You might want to start a thread about it... why not?
It may have been discussed years ago, but threads lost in the vapors aren't getting any discussion.
It will definitely create some interest... and lively debate  :)

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
[quote author=supthecreek link=topic=31033.msg340577#msg340577 date

Once, when my leash snapped, I was 400 yards out, alone in winter. OH waves and foggy.
I laid on my back, kicked my feet and "paddled" myself to shore, using the paddle as a kayak paddle.
I laid it across my chest, short on the blade end.... long shaft on the handle end... and simply rowed my body in, like a kayak :)

Yes Creek,

That is exactly what I did in a similar situation and paddling through/ across a couple of rips and about 1/2 km out. It really was a mass of white water and I remember clearly thinking "This is not the way I want to go out". It shook me enough to start thinking about inflatable life vests and carrying flares. Neither which I do. However if I had lost my board and my paddle I was in serious trouble. Risk mitigation is an interesting concept and if we are trading a small risk for even a slightly larger risk then it is not a good strategy. Again from my kayaking background, I wear a helmet all of the time and don't care that I look like a noob. The only downside to wearing a helmet is the "helmet effect" which is generally you charge harder when you are wearing a helmet regardless of sport and likely take on additional risk. This additional risk however is generally outweighed by the protection afforded to your most valuable asset. I have been hit in the head twice by my board while wearing a helmet and once was hard enough to have caused a concussion if not for the helmet. All of this however is a bit of "bait and switch" when the question is;

"Do you want to be attached to your paddle?"

I will brave the waters, put my virtual helmet on and start a new thread.

Cheers

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »
Hi,

One last little clip. The small waves were a bigger today, maybe with a bit of imagination 2 foot. I had a good time out for about 2 hours this morning. When I started this learn to surf project I didn't think that it would pull me out into the water in December. I always thought that December was for skiing! I should tell you the story behind the GoPro 3 that I am using. My wife found it in the tideline about two years ago. She was able to find the owner who was a client of one of the local surf schools. This camera had been in the ocean for over a month! The girl was from Europe and when the school contacted her......she didn't want it back. Wendy gave it to me as a Christmas present and it sat unused until about a month ago when I thought that maybe it could help with a few things like foot position.

Cheers

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2016, 07:12:41 AM »
@FRP

Another good video. Nice waves and from looking at the video, there were others on the water enjoying the waves. I think filming from the tail end looking back was really unique. It's the first time I've seen this.

Thanks for sharing this video.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 03:23:56 PM »
Sweet videos bro. I wish I could jump on a bike & ride to the beach instead of my 20-25 minute drive. Nice looking Bazooka bike too! How are you wearing your GoPro? I need to buy one & give it a shot. Did a great job on the videos, thanks!

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 05:01:36 PM »
Thanks NN,

I was wearing a waist leash and velcroed the go pro mount to it securely. It doesn't seem to interfere with getting back on the board after a fall. To shoot the backward viewpoint just spun the belt 180 degrees. I hope to experiment a bit with different camera angles. No previous experience using a GoPro. Seems straight forward. I used iMovie that came loaded on my Mac to edit clips and then sent these to Vimeo.

Cheers

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

surfafrica

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 06:48:48 PM »
I was wearing a waist leash and velcroed the go pro mount to it securely. It doesn't seem to interfere with getting back on the board after a fall. To shoot the backward viewpoint just spun the belt 180 degrees.

Why use the same old boring head cam or paddle cam, when you can use the dick cam and ass cam!  That's thinking outside of the box.

Speaking of dicks and boxes....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwCbbMgp3Lw
50 years old, 5'7", 150 lbs, intermediate
Infinity RNB: 7'6 x 28, 95 L https://goo.gl/SqlWR4
Kronos LB: 8'10 x 26.5, 84 L https://goo.gl/4iQdps
Kronos Nano: 7'4 x 26, 81 L https://goo.gl/kAM8W6

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2016, 08:45:28 AM »
Very seasonal, very funny, and the gift that keeps on giving!

Wishing everyone good waves and memorable sessions in 2017!

:)

Bob
Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

FRP

• Bob
  • Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2017, 08:39:07 AM »
Hi

Got out yesterday. Starting to warm up. Air temp 4 degrees C. Water temp 10 degrees C. Switched to neoprene mits and hands now staying warm. North Chesterman, only myself and a young woman out this morning. Waist high pealing waves and not much wind. No voice over just ambient sounds of the water and another odd camera angle, the "hip" cam. Warning.....may cause vertigo!

Cheers

Bob

Sunova 8'10" Speeed
Sunova 8’7” Creek
Sunova 9’x30” Revolution
Kialoa Pipes II
Werner Nitro Carbon

Anon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal