Author Topic: SUP surf downwind contest?  (Read 6246 times)

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP surf downwind contest?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 03:39:17 AM »
I know at least two perfect location for a downwind comp. Sound Of Iona is the first that springs to mind..

I took a peek. I didn't find wind stations. I didn't see interesting bottom contours.

What is the attraction? What is the line?

Well - The Sound Of Iona has perfect Wind over Tide situation with good bathymetry too. The tide either heads north or south like clockwork - so any wind that is opposite - due north or due south, its bump heaven. Also the boat handlers up there do go out in seriously big seas and also do watch out for each other. They even take tourists to Staffa in 10-16 foot seas in a 20 foot boat!!  :o They go out in conditions that would make the southern RNLI eyes water and A holes twitch. So safety cover could be on offer. The locals are virtually all hardcore timeserved seamen and yachtsmen. 

The Forth is another ball game - very tame in comparison, but is a short bus ride away from world class night life and restaurants as required. Hardly any tidal flow to worry about. The prevailing winds are almost always favourable. The launch/put in is totally sheltered and the shuttle run is easy too.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 04:24:23 AM »
Will the boat to Staffa shuttle boards? That looks like a cool place to visit. The Iona and Isle of Mull channel itself looks way too short.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 05:59:27 AM »
Will the boat to Staffa shuttle boards? That looks like a cool place to visit. The Iona and Isle of Mull channel itself looks way too short.

Yeah - I reckon they would.. Problem is protecting the board whilst its on the boat. I posted a fair few pics on my instagram - ukpaddlesports. We took the boat over and I was the only one onboard who wasn't sick or shitting themselves. :)

The Mrs was throwing up the whole way over and even worse on the way back as we tackled winds over tides for about 1 hour solid! :)

The Iona Downwinder is about 7k.. Not too long but the bumps are insane. While I was solo I played it safe as Ive never really paddled there before. Certain times the heart was still in the mouth though!!
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2017, 06:01:00 AM »
You could have safety cover from land - spotters all the way along the Sound.
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2017, 06:07:55 AM »
Found it. Looks more like ~ 5km in-line. 2km paddle out, ~1km paddle in.

Nicely groomed.

I raise you this. Warm waters, awesome bathymetry. Certified boneyard. To get an idea this ferry is 20 times bigger than the wee little one in Sound of Iona. On a bona fide day they cancel the ferries.
   https://youtu.be/as1uvcHsltA

« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:00:24 AM by yugi »

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2017, 06:45:45 AM »
Anything from SSW-SSE would be best... The more south in it means you'd need to think about getting in the wind shadow of the land towards the egress point at Kintra. It would all work in reverse but a tad more risky getting to the landing places..
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'