Author Topic: SUP surf downwind contest?  (Read 6259 times)

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
SUP surf downwind contest?
« on: January 10, 2017, 08:42:07 AM »
    So here’s a wild hair up my arse.  How about a downwind completion that is judged like a surf contest?  You would be judged on the # of glides, how long you are on a bump without dipping your paddle, style and if possible maybe even tricks?  Noseriding?  Obviously there would have to be a boat going alongside the rider and someone with a camera recording.   There wouldn’t be much of an opportunity for spectators. 

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: SUP surf downwind contest?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 09:14:47 AM »
I'm sorry to hear about your rectal issue.

This would be a very unpleasant contest to judge, as well as dangerous and expensive. When we get the best downwind conditions here it is often in conditions that even professional lifeboats won't launch in. How would you cover all competitors when going upwind in the judges boat is barely possible?

Maybe you could do this in places like the M2O, but could you (and would it be safe to) do it at the Gorge and other places? If you had judges on jet skis/boats how would that work? You'd need all judges witnessing the same thing. Or do you video each paddler in the entirely of their run with eg. board-mounted go-pros and the judges give their verdict the next day (or later) after they have all watched all the footage? This doesn't seem an easy way to run a contest to me, although I like the sentiment behind the idea.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 09:17:17 AM »
I would have said: he/she with the biggest distance per stroke wins. Let Garmin judge.

However we are already in the day and age where people are doing the whole run without a single stroke (foils).

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:22:45 AM by yugi »

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2017, 09:19:42 AM »

Best response for 2017 so far....:)
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

burchas

• Custom Built
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2017, 09:37:11 AM »
I like the idea only instead of boats it would probably be more manageable using drones, live
streaming to the judges if possible or compiling the points after completion.

For the sake of everyone involved make it no longer than a 3 mile so that cardio will not play
too big of a role and let technic and experience speak louder.
in progress...

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:00:11 AM »
I like the idea only instead of boats it would probably be more manageable using drones, live
streaming to the judges if possible or compiling the points after completion.

For the sake of everyone involved make it no longer than a 3 mile so that cardio will not play
too big of a role and let technic and experience speak louder.

Either a three mile or a three min timed run?  Maybe the # of bumps along with how long on said bump.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:09:39 AM »
Does everything have to be a contest?......... Of course

It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 12:41:50 PM »
Post tracker data (Trace) for your favorite DW spot and throw out the challenge right here on the Zone.  Longest glide in distance and in time.  Fastest overall time, highest top-speed, etc.  Find out what spots produce the best stats.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:54:33 AM »
There are skydiving contests where two people jump and one person films the other person (or persons) doing the competition, and the films are used for judging, so this is not unprecedented... but the difference is these films are only seconds or minutes long or however long the skydiving part lasts. When the personal drone comes to fruition then each person can have their own drone, and that is when it gets interesting.. You ask each contestant to show a single 1 or 2 minute section of their race for the judges to use.. This would also be great for Social media / Youtube etc..

Or I guess you could do an indoor downwind competition like this  ;).... (Robbie Naish in the 2nd heat)... who would have ever thought this would go indoor..

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:45:02 AM by Off-Shore »
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 06:57:11 AM »
I can see it now... The newest James Bond movie. Bond is fighting with Trumps Secret Service agents (who happen to be ex-WWF wrestlers) aboard Air Force One. He jumps from the jet in Bond fashion, as the wrestler/ agents jump as well. Their shoots open, but they are about to land in the open ocean with rough white-capping seas. Bond pulls another rip cord just before landing, and out pops a self-inflating sup bearing a British flag and a foil. He quickly assembles his 3-piece travel paddle, and proceeds to foil off with great speed leaving the agents behind to their non-foiled sups. ;)

Bond had lost his green card of course ;D

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:59:40 AM by TallDude »
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

UKRiverSurfers

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 07:20:55 AM »

This would be a very unpleasant contest to judge, as well as dangerous and expensive. When we get the best downwind conditions here it is often in conditions that even professional lifeboats won't launch in. How would you cover all competitors when going upwind in the judges boat is barely possible?

Maybe you could do this in places like the M2O, but could you (and would it be safe to) do it at the Gorge and other places? If you had judges on jet skis/boats how would that work? You'd need all judges witnessing the same thing. Or do you video each paddler in the entirely of their run with eg. board-mounted go-pros and the judges give their verdict the next day (or later) after they have all watched all the footage? This doesn't seem an easy way to run a contest to me, although I like the sentiment behind the idea.

I know at least two perfect location for a downwind comp. Sound Of Iona is the first that springs to mind.. Much easier to get too -The Forth.. Safe as a childs paddling pool is the Forth :)
SIC Bullet 17v2 Custom
Richmond Custom Carbon 16'
Starboard Point 14'8
Starboard K15
Starboard Astro Touring 14
Starboad Big Easy
Redpaddle Ride 10'6
Badfish Rivershred
Jackson SUPercharger
Badfish MVP 9'o
Badfish IRS 7'2
Pack OC1 12'

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 07:36:04 AM »
^ Someone forgot to mention rule #1. Water needs to be at least 20C/70F.

Rule #2: awesome nightlife

We do this for fun, you know.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 07:36:49 AM »
Bond had lost his green card of course ;D
Perhaps not a Bond movie, but Saturday Night Live outta hire you right now.  ;D

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »
I know at least two perfect location for a downwind comp. Sound Of Iona is the first that springs to mind..

I took a peek. I didn't find wind stations. I didn't see interesting bottom contours.

What is the attraction? What is the line?

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »
I know at least two perfect location for a downwind comp. Sound Of Iona is the first that springs to mind..

I took a peek. I didn't find wind stations. I didn't see interesting bottom contours.

What is the attraction? What is the line?
Uh-oh, you've let the beast out of the cage now :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal