Author Topic: Barbados???  (Read 5473 times)

Seabean

• Waikiki Status
  • Seabean
    • View Profile
    • Email
Barbados???
« on: January 07, 2017, 06:42:58 AM »
Any pros/cons about SUP surfing Barbados in April would be appreciated. 
Also looking for low key place to stay on the beach, if anyone has suggestions.
Thanks!
JP Surf Pro 7'6x27  91L
Flight Malolo 7'6x28  88L
F-One Madeiro 7'9x28  92L
JP Surf Pro 8'1x28  103 L
Flight LB1 9'0 x 28  106L (on the way!)

addapost

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Barbados???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 08:11:42 AM »
Never been myself but a friend went last spring in that time frame. She surfed all over the island including a couple days with this young lady who runs a shop on the island with her husband.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rys5zeUE9DA
Bunch of old shit

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »
A buddy of mine recently did a surf trip to Barbados. He had some clues for you but he's not a sup rider though.

Harrison's Point - premiere surf spot
offshore with an east wind
premiere SUP spot *
needs north swell - sees some wrap around of E trade swell
you can SUP at South Point, Freights Bay, and Brandon's on the south coast. Tricky currents at South Point. Risk damage of board and you. Freights is chill and smaller. Brandon's is a sweeping left point break but it's shortboard heaven so SUP may be frowned on
would NOT SUP at soup bowl
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Seabean

• Waikiki Status
  • Seabean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »
Nice! Thanks for the good info. Going to check these places out. Looks like there may be some SUP friendly people there (see above video).
JP Surf Pro 7'6x27  91L

surf4food

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
Did you look up Brian Talma's site?
https://www.briantalma.pro/sup/

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »
I Fly through Barbados 4-5 times a year on the way to my house in the Grenadines and have surfed and now SUPed there for the last 40 +years. Of all the islands in the Caribbean, Barbados is the most consistent for surf and rarely will you get skunked as there is usually a wave breaking somewhere.  South coast, east coast, and if lucky west coast all offer some great waves. April is the tail end of the winter swells and heavy trade winds but you should catch some surf. It also is more crowded with visiting and local surfers than most of the Caribbean .
Try and base yourself near St.Lawrence Gap which is close to many of the southern breaks and plenty of budget beach hotels in the area. After surfing it's also where many of the bars and restaurants are.
Many breaks have been mentioned already, but my favorite are South Point, Freights ,Brandon's, Batt's Rock and when the west coast is firing, Sandy Lane.
I surfed Soup Bowl/Bathsheba for years on the east coast, but I wouldn't SUP there. There are other spots on east coast less crowded where you could sup, but don't go alone, water can be tricky on that coast.
Expect crowds and lots of beginners at some of the southern  breaks, especially Freights. There are a number of surf schools that have popped up over the years and this has added to the crowded line ups.

Paddle Barbados is a great SUP operation close to the Hilton hotel at Needhams Point. Jason is a great guy and he and his girlfriend Sarah can clue you in to where it's breaking. 
Try the website Trivago to find hotels on the south coast. I stayed at Infinity on the Beach a few weeks ago for a couple nights..nice hotel surf close by and walking distance to plenty of restaurants in St.Lawrence Gap
If you like rum you will be in heaven as Barbados has some of the best rum in the world. Good food, nice vibe , plenty of surf spots.  Check internet for more on the surf spots or ask Paddle Barbados when you get there.
Pick up the latest Stand Up Journal, plenty of photos and articles on Barbados.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 10:25:42 PM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Seabean

• Waikiki Status
  • Seabean
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 03:23:57 AM »
Thanks Caribsurf! Great info. We're starting to put the pieces together for our trip. Do you fly your boards in or rent?
JP Surf Pro 7'6x27  91L

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 06:53:18 AM »
I've always had my own boards with me, but Paddle Barbados rents boards.  You might want to contact Jason to see what's available.
http://www.paddlebarbados.com

When I was surfing years ago, I'd bring a board and usually sell it there before returning home.
If you have more questions feel free to send me a private message
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 06:58:21 AM by Caribsurf »
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 08:24:17 AM »
There's an article with pics about Barbados in new Standup Journal that just came out. Has some good info for you...

JohnnyMaya

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 10:12:06 AM »
Never been to Barbados, but...

...the beautiful island of Martinique (next to it) has some pretty good surf and vibes. The locals are amazing people and the landscape just looks out of Jurassic Park.

I recon i'd love to go there with my SUP boards since I was working when I went there earlier in 2016 and could only take surfboards!

Johnny

Green Water Sports

• Site Sponsor
  • Peahi Status
  • https://greenwatersports.com
    • View Profile
    • Green Water Sports - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »
Might be heading out to Barbados in late October for the Red Paddle Co 22' Dragon World Championships.
Form your teams and hopefully see you there: https://greenwatersports.com/8687/2017-red-paddle-co-dragon-world-championships-to-be-held-in-barbados
Julian
https://greenwatersports.com
Green Water Sports LLC - Inflatable SUP boards & stand up paddle boards & more. Call us on 1-888-252-4983
Red Paddle Co, Starboard, SIC Maui, Tahe, Naish, Fanatic, Accent Paddles, Onyx, FCS, Vamo

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 12:37:24 PM »
Johnny, totally agree Martinique is a great place for a surf trip.  beautiful island..BIG island and lots of surf and delicious food

You guys stuck in the cold of New England, here is your chance to escape to Martinique for a cheap surf trip.

Norwegian Airlines has some amazing fares at times Boston/Logan to Martinique ...last year they had $150 round trip.

http://www.norwegian.com/us/booking/flight-tickets/farecalendar/Boston-MartiniqueFortdeFrance

bon voyage...
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Hobie 14' race board

PDLSFR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2019, 07:04:50 AM »
Just thought I would toss another plug for Jason and Sarah at Paddle Barbados as I just returned from a week on the island and it was exactly as Caribsurf mentioned. Jason brought me a board and acted as a surf guide on one of the mornings I was there and we ended up at Brandon Point which was tropical surf paradise. Crystal clear blue 85 degree water, warm sun and not many folks in the line up (except maybe few sea turtles). On another day, Jason dropped off a board at my hotel and I surfed right out front, Sarah came and picked the board up later that night, price was so cheap I am afraid to post it as you wouldn't believe it. The island vide was unreal as everyone was friendly and laid back (I guess anyone would be if you lived there). Prices for Hotels vary but shop around as there are deals everywhere as well as surf spots.

Infinity RNB 8'2
Ron House 9'7
Ron House 10'7
Infinity New Deal 10'
Custom Infinity New Deal 10'
VEC 11'
Focus Bluefin 14'

ninja tuna

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »
Why no sup at soup bowls.  I surfed there years ago and me and my buddies were the only ones out for the 2 days I surfed there. And it was head high to a little overhead and perfect.  I understand about not going out when it is firing and packed.  But I would think it would be worth a look and get a few rides  if no one was out.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 01:11:29 PM »
South point, freights, Brandon's, Sandy Lane, Duppies, Parlor's, and Soup Bowl's.

Make sure you bring your reef walkers or a substitute. Urchins are nasty.

Being a cheapskate I cut down some beat winter booties. Freddy and the Rasta lads called me Mad Mon Boot Mon. But this was in the eighties.

Coconut Court was clean and reasonable. Who knows what it's like today.

Caribe knows and I know somebody you know who knows him!

Have fun!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 01:14:36 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal