Author Topic: In The Bag  (Read 9046 times)

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: In The Bag
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 12:27:17 PM »
The red strip?

Okay, disclaimer....I'm probably the last person to try to answer this, but I'd take a wild-ass guess and say its a velco strip to wrap around something on your vehicle to help secure while in transport.....but WTH do I know!
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 12:33:27 PM »
Close, you let it hang as a safety flag (that's why its red) so no one walks or rides into it when its on the rack (aka, a katway)... ;D

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 12:37:04 PM »
^ yep

a requirement in many countries is to fly a red ribbon from the object on your roof rack  if it extends past the end of your car (varying distances by country).

WhatsSUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 12:41:48 PM »
Damn!  Was hoping I'd win a prize or something.    ;D  8)
Jimmy Lewis B&B Flat nose 10'1"
Sunova Creek 9'4" 
TAVA 11'2"
NSP Element 11'
KeNalu Wiki paddle
Kialoa Insanity paddle
Misc other paddles

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
Cook.. I'm sure you already knew, but I looked because I'm always sniffing for an airline that will carry a board. 

Clipped from UA's 'Contract of Carriage' (their legal document - no matter what the counter person thinks)

"Surfboards – Subject to the conditions and charges specified below, one surfboard or one surfboard bag containing up to four boards per customer with a maximum weight of 50 pounds (23 kg) and maximum length of 115 inches "9-7" (293 cm) will be accepted as Checked Baggage. Excess Valuation may not be purchased for a surfboard. (no insurance)

A surfboard or surfboard bag as specified above will be subject to a service charge of 150 USD/150 CAD (each way) for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and 200 USD/200 CAD (each way) for all other travel."

Big hit. Maybe you should see if you could sell a board down there....   Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 08:18:07 AM »
200 ea/way is alot! I asked the desk agent to charge me only 25 for a standard checked luggage and she laughed at me!
I hauled the V-Box here to Costa Rica this yr and it's been working really good!

https://scontent.fsjo1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-0/p417x417/16463349_10155077673897682_9203476574818748816_o.jpg?oh=202435e0c23f42fdc96f91f6b31589f1&oe=590E07A7

One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
Wow.. you're already there. Looks like a nice spot away from the crowds north of you. So, did she hit you for the full $200 after the laugh? 

Jim

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 06:46:48 AM »
MrBig - What is "blueboard". Packing my SUP and heading to CR in March and still trying to figure out how to pack it.

When I traveled a lot we used pipe insulation on the rails, and blueboard on the top and bottom.

Day bag inside of travel bag. Bulletproof. And then I saw a kid with a tiny board in a sock..

I would not use his method!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 12:18:16 PM »
S-V, Bigs may be paddling...

"Extruded polystyrene foam (XPS) also known as blue board or pink board comes in many different thicknesses and edge profiles. This insulation board is probably one of the most widely used foam board insulation products in the residential construction industry."  (internet clip)

I've fiddled with it making a Coffin for travel, but did not end up happy with the rigidity. I figured it would suffer badly in shear.  Direct impacts should be its strong suit.  I've got another partially complete that is more passive - using 1/2 pool noodle for the perimeter and .5" Ensolite foam for top/bottom trapped within a seriously tough mesh used on trash trucks.  I still need to make a zip-on skin.  My CR trip is off;  I could get a plane in .. a nice condo for the week ..but could not get ticketed on the one-flight-a-week out.

Sorry for the hijack Bigs .. and Marc, if you had kept us better up to date, we wouldn't have to be talking behind you back.  REPORT.   

Jim

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »
Trip is coming to end. Exit Costa on 2/9. It's been an awesome trip w/my sup getting the majority of the waves. SO glad I pulled the trigger on the sup haul. Unfortunately the desk agent did charge me the full 200 for my boards. Oh well. Some more shots here.  8)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 12:43:25 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

SUPJorge

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »
Wet -- what is the "seriously tough mesh used on trash trucks" you speak of? I use

(1) pool noodles on rails,
(2) spoon two boards with some bubble wrap in between the two,
(3) wrap the two boards in more bubble wrap, creating one big wad of bubble wrap,
(4) slip the whole thing inside one tough Epic bag,
(5) slip shaped cardboard in between the outside of the bubble-wrap-wad and the inside of the bag.
Survived 3 trips to CR this way.

I think I can improve on #5. The cardboard is supposed to provide the puncture resistance. Can you (or anyone else reading this) think of anything better than cardboard for this function (that does not carry a large weight penalty)?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:06:56 PM by SUPJorge »
14' SIC Bullet V2 - 9'1" Naish Hokua X32 LE

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 07:23:08 AM »
Marc... That looks beautiful - especially the shot where you were shouting; "Cuidado Maricon!" * ..and I hope you didn't eat out of that cooler!  When you get back, if you have the time, post a logistical log of your trip in the travel section. 

Jorge.. I don't like bubble pack - because when/if the bubble pops...?  A great substitute for cardboard is Kidex.  It used to be use for wall and corner protectors in buildings where there was a lot of wheeled traffic like hospitals; they now use it for other things. Still, the way you describe what you have - sound pretty great.  This mesh is kind of like fine tramp fabric.. hard to describe.  I'll make a posting to show better.

Jim

*...and to the offended; No, I would never say anything like that to a local.

SUPvol

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 12:42:50 PM »
SC - Did you use the GoPro pole mount for a few of those shots?

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »
SC - Did you use the GoPro pole mount for a few of those shots?
GoPro bicycle handlebar mount on the paddle. As far south to the blade as possible.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 05:20:12 PM by surfercook »

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 08:13:23 PM »
Great shots man. Ah, surfing in trunks.

I use pipe insulation in rails and then cardboard for puncture resistance and it seems to work fine. I stuff clothes all around in the extra space. Remember that you don't need much impact padding on the deck and bottom, it's mostly stuff that sticks in it. Rails are pretty well covered with the foam and bag.

I'm doing a business deal with a guy that has a place down there in CR. Here's to things going well on that.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal