Author Topic: In The Bag  (Read 9069 times)

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
In The Bag
« on: January 06, 2017, 08:58:41 AM »
After my recent visit to Nicaragua I'm tired of not having my sup on trips. Pulled the trigger on this bag. I was gonna go w/a cheaper no name generic but decided to go w/the industry standard (although DaKine and FCS were also on my list). Hoping my 6'6" quad fish will sneak in there too. Now to decide on which lucky sup gets to go w/me to Costa this winter, the Assassin or V-Box.
Did pretty good on cost.  $207.99 w/shipping included and no sales tax. The 9'0" is sold out on the Prolite website currently.

https://thesurfboardwarehouse.com/p-830-prolite-stand-up-and-paddle-bag-br-rhino-travel-bag.aspx

https://prolite.com/collections/sup/products/rhino-bag-sup-wide-with-fin-slot?variant=18574445575

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:01:19 AM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

p06781

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: In The Bag
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 03:20:19 PM »
I have been having good luck with double bagging .  I have a 1/4 inch day bag that fits my blair 8.5 and put in a 9ft sticky bumps sup bag .  There is plenty of room for another board .  Just got back from Mexico and no damage but I did get a puncture hole on the bottom of my board going to Nosara in CR this last august .  Easy fix with some epoxy putty though !   

It was this one but was less than $100 when I bought . Amazon is weird . 

https://www.amazon.com/Sticky-Bumps-Stand-Paddle-12-Feet/dp/B009V95GKA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1483831300&sr=8-9&keywords=sticky%2Bbump%2Bup%2Bbag&th=1&psc=1
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:24:19 PM by p06781 »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 03:32:58 PM »
I have been having good luck with double bagging
Thanx for the positivity! I'm torn between bubble packing and cardboard for packing material.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:01:23 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 03:38:53 PM »
When I traveled a lot we used pipe insulation on the rails, and blueboard on the top and bottom.

Day bag inside of travel bag. Bulletproof. And then I saw a kid with a tiny board in a sock..

I would not use his method!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 04:21:16 PM »
I've used a board sock inside a travel bag and been please. When I get to the designation, I'll use the sock to keep the board from having the nicks and dings you get from transporting it from spot to spot.

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:22 AM »
Cook'ster.. "to go w/me to Costa this winter"  ..tell more about the logistics - what airline? Where?

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 07:40:20 AM »
We have a custom bag for $189

JimK
Extreme Windsurfing

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 07:55:02 AM »
"to go w/me to Costa this winter"  ..tell more about the logistics - what airline? Where?
Flying United Airlines from Newark, NJ to Liberia, Costa Rica. Then grab an suv and driving to Playa Azul in Marbella. We stay in a luxury condo quite close to several good breaks. Been doing this trip for yrs now. First time I'll ever bring a sup on a trip though. Bag arrived yesterday. Looks solid. Sorry, JimK. I would like to see the bag and it's specs though if you wanna post .

http://www.sanctuarycondominiums.com/

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 08:00:17 AM by surfercook »

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 10:59:21 AM »
Looks like a great trip. I was trying to picture a baggage handler grabbing the bag from the rail handle and giving it a good discus throw. Some of my bags have handles on the ends too. The baggage handler might opt for a drag move with one of those. Then again, the end handles might catch on something too? I guess, wrap it well and cross your fingers. Bring a little glass cloth and some epoxy just in case.
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Area 10

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 01:37:36 PM »
A few years ago a local guy bought a Gong board and it turned up with no packing at all! The shaper just stuck a label on the board and sent it off as it was. Remarkably it actually turned up undamaged apart from a couple of minor scuffs and certainly in better shape than many highly packed boards I've seen :)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 01:48:54 PM »
^ did he need to pay extra for the "eco packing"?

I used to take a city bike with me on business flights to cities. I just put it in one of those big transparent plastic bags the airline company gives you. Pulled it out of the bag on landing and rode out of the airport. On return got a bag from the counter, borrowed a roll of tape and slapped it in the bag. Didn't once have damage to it. I think baggage handlers are more compassionate when they can SEE it is a fragile object.

2 important things to do:
- get good insurance
- upon arrival at destination (and return home) unpack and inspect in the airport, that way you can declare damage on the spot

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 09:05:42 AM »
I enjoying everyones travel bag stories.
picture a baggage handler grabbing the bag from the rail handle and giving it a good discus throw. The baggage handler might opt for a drag move with one of those. Wrap it well and cross your fingers. Bring a little glass cloth and some epoxy just in case.
Baggage handlers are def our nemesis! I always wrap the boards for the trip inside their bag and also bring some Ding All/Suncure.
a local guy bought a Gong board and it turned up with no packing at all!  Remarkably it actually turned up undamaged
Kinda the opposite of what happened to Tom's boards last year. :-\
2 important things to do:
- get good insurance
- upon arrival at destination (and return home) unpack and inspect in the airport, that way you can declare damage on the spot
never got insurance for board travel and luckily have never needed it. Knock wood! The inspection thing is good advice but I pack my boards so well w/cardboard it takes like 30 mins to get em out of their mummification! 

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2017, 11:53:23 AM »
wth is this strap for?

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 12:09:54 PM »
That's a katway SC...

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »
That's a katway SC...
Need details...Google search sent me to Afghanistan and it's 11F there right now!  :P

Katway کتوای is a village in Sadat Valley, Bamyan Province, Afghanistan with a population of 200 families from Sadat ethnicity. This village has mostly dominated حاکم بوده بر surrounded villages such as Bamsaray and Khalankash. Wikipedia
Weather: 11°F (-12°C), Wind W at 5 mph (8 km/h), 60% Humidity

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal