Author Topic: Waist leash velcro  (Read 2388 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Waist leash velcro
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:22:43 PM »
I bought a NSI waist leash awhile back and it features a velcro connect that is two one sided web covered velcros laid over a single web with velcro on both sides like a velcro sandwich and unlike the normal overlap variety I've always seen.  The connect at the board or boat attachment is normal but this one with this odd connection,  is right behind the waist loop. 

I've been using it for my new adventures in surfski land and love it.

This morning I was riding untold 2-3 footers in the center of the harbor... perfect bumps just barely breaking.  Dave K and Brett were out with me learning on their foils so that was fun to watch.  Dave looks like he's already got it down.

So Dave splits and Brett and I are talking out by the red buoy.  I'm sitting with my feet out of the ski relaxing, talking about the foil with Brett.  All the sudden I glance out and see a dredger sucking up out of nowhere.  Well it cleaned my clock, the ski broke off and I did a 100 yd swim with the wing blade which is much more difficult than a SUP blade to swim with.  Turned out that velcro sandwich didn't hold.  So I had Shirley sew it closed.  Was thankful I didn't have to learn that lesson on a downwinder.  Surfing tests everything.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Waist leash velcro
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:59:30 PM »
Yeah, I don't like just a velcro belt. I added a buckle to mine--I wrap the belt with velcro but then click the buckle to back it up. I'm making a new design that will work better I think.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Bean

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 05:43:39 AM »
The "universal" grub screw, leash attachment on the Leashlok looks pretty good (from my perspective of smaller to head high waves and flat water paddling).

http://www.leashlokhawaii.com/leash-attachments---leash-belts.html

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 07:25:07 AM »
Yeah, I don't like just a velcro belt. I added a buckle to mine--I wrap the belt with velcro but then click the buckle to back it up. I'm making a new design that will work better I think.

HM's belt is very comfortable and uses a buckle, not velcro.  The buckle has a very effective quick release feature.  The belt and leash is designed for river Sup paddlers. 

The weak link in the chain is the connection between the belt and the leash.  It is a weak velcro sandwich.  It cannot withstand much of a pull.  Very strange.  Easily remedied by sewing it together. 

The universal grub screw like Bean mentioned would have been better. 

The stretch of the leash is very good for the ski application.  It works better than a standard leash out of the water. 

That surprise HM experienced could have been nasty if he was attached by the leg.  if you think an Sup pulls hard, you should try it attached to the middle of a ski. 

The big boys here use leg leashes (with a quick release) to save weight.  If they are going to get worked, they clip out.  They surf waves that can yank the leash hard enough to break a leg.

I love my waist leash.  Very comfy and quick to exit/enter the water in small shore break.  Perfect for the small waves I surf.   
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 07:41:00 AM »
Ah, I see, I looked up the belt online. That is a very odd way to attach the leash. I suspect the idea is for it to release if there is enough tension, but I'd rather control the release with the belt.

The belt I'm designing can be used with a cuff, a leash saver, or directly tied. I think a single swivel on the board end, and a hand tied eye like Beasho's design directly tied to the waist leash with heavy spectra is the way I will use it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 04:10:55 PM »
Have had no issues with my LeashLok with a coiled cord. Of course I have never pulled the red release and the biggest wave I have ridden using the waist setup is 4-5 Hawaiian. Tiny and no danger of breaking my leg! Dfib shock is now my biggest concern!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 04:13:51 PM by mrbig »
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

Tom

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 04:17:54 PM »
My waist leash is an old dive weight belt with a plastic buckle. I really like the simplicity and feel very confident that it won't fail and will be easy to release if needed. 

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
B-Walnut