Author Topic: Is GoFoil the Only Option?  (Read 32923 times)

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
Re: Is GoFoil the Only Option?
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »
I go hot and cold on straps. I'm back to strapless only at the moment. Straps add control, but are pain in the ass at the same time. You loose the freedom to micro trim with your feet. You loose the free feeling when riding.

And then there is the fear of straps. Every single foiler I know has sprained an ankle at least once, often several times, using straps. That 2 to 3 foot lever under the board with feet in straps sucks big time.

Agreed...I think that the lever arm of the foil makes straining, spraining, or snapping an ankle likely at some point...
I can't believe the Horue guys looping their windfoil boards and sail rigs...

I have a handful of GOFOIL's (KAI & MALIKO) on order...most are already sold...

It will be interesting to watch how the IP and patent issues get resolved as this new sport takes off...as the Aguerras have an international patent pending...
They also own the factory that their foils are being built in...expensive tooling and autoclave equipment...etc...gives them a bit of a head start for now...
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »

It will be interesting to watch how the IP and patent issues get resolved as this new sport takes off...as the Aguerras have an international patent pending...

I'd be really surprised if they actually get granted a patent. Foils have been put on all sorts of watercraft for decades. Sticking one on a surfboard is nothing new, even if the surfer happens to carry a paddle.

SUP Sports ®

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Stoked For Life ®
    • View Profile
    • SUP Sports ®
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »
As someone who has had to use the legal system to pursue justice in an IP claim, I definitely wouldn't advise betting the family farm against AA's surfing foil design being denied the patent that they have applied for...from the sounds of it, they have good counsel...

If awarded, infringing parties would be liable for significant damages and attorney fees...etc...looks like a couple of the world's biggest board companies didn't want to take that risk either...YMMV...;-)
Mahalos...{:~)

WARDOG ®
Owner/CEO  StandUp Paddle Sports®  &   SurfingSports®.com, Inc.

(805)962-SUPS (7877) store
(888)805-9978 toll free

Retail Store:
Standup Paddle Sports, LLC
121 Santa Barbara St.
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

DailyBread Surf Photo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • RapidRescoreCredit.com
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2017, 08:14:35 AM »
More footage of DK I took a couple days ago.  I'm on my 11 footer and still can't keep up with the foil. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ZawYOX5wM

I post more footage on my Instagram, you can check'um https://www.instagram.com/jasonihall/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 08:16:51 AM by DailyBread Surf Photo »

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »
^ nice filming. I figured it would be pretty hard to keep up.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »
As someone who has had to use the legal system to pursue justice in an IP claim, I definitely wouldn't advise betting the family farm against AA's surfing foil design being denied the patent that they have applied for...from the sounds of it, they have good counsel...

If awarded, infringing parties would be liable for significant damages and attorney fees...etc...looks like a couple of the world's biggest board companies didn't want to take that risk either...YMMV...;-)

I haven't read the patent, but it's not likely to be a broad patent covering foils with their hundred years of development--more likely specific features. The patent office isn't the highly professional and prudent outfit it used to be. There was a time when gaining a patent was certain proof that an invention was at least an original departure from prior art. As the holder of a bullshit patent I can testify that is no longer the case.

I would never attempt to enforce the patent I hold. It's for core internet technology, and if I tried to collect license fees some of the largest companies on earth would line up to pull my pants down. The issue is always how much money will the opposition spend if you try to enforce a flawed patent, or push past the specific elements that might deserve protection. It's a gamble for both sides, but as with any gamble, the odds are on the side of the people who can afford to push it as far as it might need to go.

If I were in the foil business I would be reading the patent and intervening. Even if the patent is awarded a post-award intervention can limit or eliminate liabilities. Most of the new patent legislation over the past ten years came about because the patent office went nuts and became political.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 09:02:00 AM by PonoBill »
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2017, 10:26:49 AM »
Patents!  Patents!  All I see are STRAPS, STRAPS, STRAPS. 

I mean it's only Dave Kalama for god's sake.  He actually looks quite happy.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2017, 12:28:10 PM »
The handful of guys here SB / Ventura area ( of which I will be one shortly ) are not using straps with SUP foils.

The ability to micro adjust foot placement and not have to  insert feet in straps is preferable it seems.

After learning to foil with a kite a couple years ago. I ended up taking off rear strap on the foil board.

I like it much better - I can micro adjust back foot placement and I'm not locked in with both feet if I crash. Had a couple close calls when using front and rear straps that could have been serious.

Thinking I'll be strap free with SUP foil.........
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:47:17 PM by TonyGring »

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »

SUP board = Cessna

SUP foil board  + Millenium Falcon

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2017, 01:01:05 PM »
More footage of DK I took a couple days ago.  I'm on my 11 footer and still can't keep up with the foil. :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4ZawYOX5wM

I post more footage on my Instagram, you can check'um https://www.instagram.com/jasonihall/

We need a crash video. We need to see the real world coming at us.

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »
A crash w/ straps could be very nasty if you could not bail away in time.  Did a face plant one time on my race SB with hard boots - and was shocked at the level instant pain even on spring slush.  Is a sensation you never forget.  On a strap foil can def see an ankle or knee blowing out if torqued.  Maybe the straps are easier to balance at first though vs micro adjust.  Probs is easy to remove the straps though.  Look at how Charlie pushes off from his board as he bails -

https://youtu.be/-oyBRjT6jTE
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »
i have mixed feelings on the strap thing I'm waiting to see how the go foil feels when it arrives as to weather to try them or not. I could learning to bail and bail early is pretty important to avoid a face full of carbon daggers

Eagle

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2017, 01:47:54 PM »
How close the foil gets looks kinda scary in this screengrab -
Fast is FUN!   8)
Dominator - Touring Pintail - Bullet V2 - M14 - AS23

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »
maybe not to sure it doesn't feel to bad going off the back like that the worse one is getting to much lift on your toes and it high sides you and you land right on top of it, i have a few near miss before learning to just eject out the back.

TonyGring

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »

SUP board = Cessna

SUP foil board  = Millenium Falcon

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal