Author Topic: Is GoFoil the Only Option?  (Read 32931 times)

lpmaui

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Is GoFoil the Only Option?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 08:23:07 PM »
Kinda sad really.  Been surfing the Harbor lately and more foil SUP on the water.  There is a few guys that are now called the 3 stooges.  They hang out in the impact zone and are totally out of control dropping in and falling over and seriously scaring the shit out of the regular folks.
I can see lots of problems in the line up with these inexperienced folks..

mrbig

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
Kinda like "sweepers" a while back.

Except those foils make sushi on contact..
Let it come to you..
SMIK 9'2" Hipster Mini Mal
SMIK 8'8" Short Mac Freo Rainbow Bridge
SMIK 8'4" Hipster Twin
King's 8'2" Accelerator SharkBoy

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »
As much as I'm an advocate of sharing the waves, there's really no excuse for a yahoo that doesn't know what he's doing crowding the lineup and endangering others with a flailing hatchet. Foils are SO perfect for catching little bumps before they even think of becoming waves that a foiler can sit WAY outside and be on and riding even before other SUPers. Stay WAY outside, catch anything, let the other users catch the pocket. If no one jumps on feel free to play on the whole thing.

I'm actually looking into the Ali foils: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/OEM-Kitefoil-Kite-Foil-Manufacturer_60573336977.html

WAY  too small front wing for SUP, but at the price I can afford to toss the front foil and DIY it. Just save the mast and back foil. Could be a fun project.

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2017, 06:29:39 PM »
As much as I'm an advocate of sharing the waves, there's really no excuse for a yahoo that doesn't know what he's doing crowding the lineup and endangering others with a flailing hatchet. Foils are SO perfect for catching little bumps before they even think of becoming waves that a foiler can sit WAY outside and be on and riding even before other SUPers. Stay WAY outside, catch anything, let the other users catch the pocket. If no one jumps on feel free to play on the whole thing.

I'm actually looking into the Ali foils: https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/OEM-Kitefoil-Kite-Foil-Manufacturer_60573336977.html

WAY  too small front wing for SUP, but at the price I can afford to toss the front foil and DIY it. Just save the mast and back foil. Could be a fun project.

That foil looks like it uses the bastard box, some of the French foils use. It's not a Tuttle. You might be forced to make your own box.

dns

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 09:12:13 AM »
What's a bastard box? I did a bunch of searching, but didn't find anything with that name. By "French Foils" do you mean Horue? AFAICT they use a standard deep tuttle.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:17:35 AM by dns »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 02:09:04 PM »
What's a bastard box? I did a bunch of searching, but didn't find anything with that name. By "French Foils" do you mean Horue? AFAICT they use a standard deep tuttle.

http://www.alpinefoil.com  this one is a bastard. I can't recall what the French are calling it. I've seen it in person.

http://www.f-onefoil.com  this one also uses the old ball box.

F-one calls it a KF box. haha, kite foil box. Bastard to them, or the same as Apline?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 02:10:52 PM by DW »

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 02:57:36 PM »
Full circle or what? It's windsurfing all over again.

Tuttle box, alpine box, power box, A-box, and now just for fun the KF box.

But, my all time favorite box... The Bastard box!

Except if I made my own box. I'd call it the Chew-Boxa.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 03:18:07 PM by southwesterly »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2017, 05:17:07 PM »
Let's post the videos people.  I'm not so sure I like them mixing in the learning via towing with the surfing.  Makes it look like they just started.

Better marketing might have them JUST showing the finished product e.g. Surfing, Kiting Windsurfing.  At least give us the appearance that someone knows what they are doing. 

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 05:21:18 PM by Beasho »

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 06:46:19 PM »
OMG the video is coming out of the woodwork.

Footstraps make all the sense in the world.  Just have to position them properly.  It would almost seem mandatory on the front foot.

Beasho

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
Kai crushing it once again on the GoFoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVs_cD7bzI

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2017, 12:33:06 AM »
This is a photo of the Go Foil Maliko Foil, the Kai Foil and the F-one Foil
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

supuk

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 01:56:23 AM »
any info on how the maliko compares to the kai? i got the email last night! :)

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 02:19:06 AM »
Footstraps make all the sense in the world.  Just have to position them properly.  It would almost seem mandatory on the front foot.

Not sure I agree.
What is the appeal you see in footstraps? More torque for pumping?

The downside is the trickiness of getting in and out. Those transitions being the hardest part.

More importantly I'm not seeing them as very necessary. Foiling is piloted by finessing. Always very smooth always centered movements. Footstraps aren't needed for that. You mostly need to be very centered and that center may change by what you are seeking to achieve, just like a surfboard.

Watch Zane shift his back foot  in this vid at 00:46, then again at 00:52. And many other times.
   https://youtu.be/Pa2RWyCFG3U

I'm not discounting in the [not so distant] future some newschool foil riding with very small wakestyle boards and quicker turning foils doing radial maneuvers which are cranked not finessed. I can imagine that evolution and that requiring footstraps. Dunno how they launch though. At first tow-in. Definitely at wake cable centers and for wake surfing behind boats.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 02:23:44 AM by yugi »

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 02:58:36 AM »
I go hot and cold on straps. I'm back to strapless only at the moment. Straps add control, but are pain in the ass at the same time. You loose the freedom to micro trim with your feet. You loose the free feeling when riding.

And then there is the fear of straps. Every single foiler I know has sprained an ankle at least once, often several times, using straps. That 2 to 3 foot lever under the board with feet in straps sucks big time.

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2017, 03:22:05 AM »
Ahhhhhhh. Yes, exactly, that free feeling. I don’t even like skiing with alpine bindings any more.

Oh! Right! The tweaked ankles. I have a healthy fear of straps. Yep, I can attest you raise a valid point. I have a few screws holding one of my ankles together from exactly that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 03:32:41 AM by yugi »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal