Author Topic: Paddling COLD - Video perfection and gear info  (Read 7303 times)

supthecreek

Paddling COLD - Video perfection and gear info
« on: January 03, 2017, 12:57:07 PM »
My plan:
Open more people's minds to incredible joy of cold weather paddling.
Some of us do it.... but too many hang up the gear for winter.... thinking it's not worth the effort.

Part 1
my video sales pitch.

Part 2
The gear that works for me
It keeps me warm and happy
Lot's of gear options out there.... these are just what I found very effective.
I never race around... I cruise and explore.... and I'm always sweaty when I get home.

My pictures show and explain all my gear...

but I want to discuss the biggest challenge: hands and feet
it took several seasons to work this out.

I paddle in Blizzards and temps in the teens all the time.... been down to -8 F
with this gear, I am completely comfortable

Feet:
IMO.... wetsuit boots and gloves do not work for me. Surf... they are fine.... paddling in the Ice and temps I do... they don't keep me warm.
My feet are frequently surrounded by ice, so I need separation between the Ice and my feet... rubber alone won't do it.
I buy tall Explorer Boots. 2 or 3 sizes too big, so they are loose and have room for 2 layers of thick, insulated wool socks.
The tall boots allow me to walk in to launch depth, without getting my socks wet.
The thick, dry socks give me a warm barrier between my feet and the elements

Hands:
In ALL wetsuit gloves, mitts.... my hands froze on cold days (fine in surf... bad in paddling)
Simple.... a cheap pair of ski gloves are perfect.
Never had cold hands in ski gloves
BUT... I always carry a pair of wetsuit gloves on the deck, in case I fall in. (which I have)
Wet ski gloves, in single digit temps, are a dangerous combo.

In winter
There are:
no boats, no bugs, no leaf blowers, no outside noise at all
just the incredible sounds of winter creatures.... totally different than warm weather. softer, relaxing. stunning

Night Wing

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Piney Woods of Southeast Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Paddling COLD - Video perfection and gear info
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »
This was an excellent video. Enjoyed all the different places, the different species of wildlife along the way and the different models and lengths of boards you rode. I really do envy you people who sup in the winter. Unfortunately winter supping is not for me whether it be flat water cruising or surfing. This is not because of effort either. I just can't stand COLD water, COLD air temperatures and COLD wind. I don't care for wearing heavy wet/dry suits either. For me; being COLD from air temperature, wind and the worse, from getting wet, makes me miserable where I don't enjoy anything.

I'm just one of those types who just doesn't like the cold which means when it comes to water sports; my sup gets put up at the beginning of December and I won't be back on the water supping until the water temperature reaches 66 degrees (which is my comfort zone) where I can sup in a long sleeve shirt and long pants and that is usually sometime in March where I live in southeast Texas.
Blue Planet Duke: 10'5" x 32" x 4.5" @ 190 Liters (2 Dukes)
Sup Sports Hammer: 8'11" x 31" x 4" @ 140 Liters
SUP Sports One World: 11'1" x 30" x 4.5" @ 173 Liters
CJ Nelson Parallax: 9'3" x 23 1/2" x 3 3/16" @ 78.8 Liters (prone surfing longboard; Thunderbolt Technologies build in Red construction)

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 03:58:05 PM »
Awesome Creek. You got it down. I am envious (somewhat) of your opportunity to paddle in those kind of temps.

Mid winter and a couple other threads going regarding feet and hands so I going to throw these in. Bang for the buck items in my mind.

Some pack liners instead of socks may be something to consider for some?
Will they fit in a boot like you got and maybe go to a thinner sock?
Lots of different ones but here is a page with some cheap ones.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/category.aspx?categoryID=64

There some thinner felt, thicker felt, and thinsulate ones out there.......you can spend lots or a little.

You get done and want to warm your hands up but still outside?
These are awesome. You can do far more in mittens than you may remember when you were a kid if it's been awhile since you tried.
I am fond of pile lined ones, one of my favorite handwear items but elk skin is hard to beat. Tends to stay nice and soft after it has dried.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabela-s-men-s-elkskin-chopper-mitts/2331109.uts

what you are using obviously is working more than well enough, just a couple ideas to expand upon

Have fun.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 04:16:16 PM by lucabrasi »

surfercook

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Jersey Shore
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »
That is some SERIOUS Creek-in! Nice work putting this topic together! LOL! I lost it at the end when you went down! Looked like a nicely lined up wave. You are inspiring me, and I hope others, to get out and flat water it in winter. I rarely flat in winter.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 05:05:32 PM by surfercook »
One could go into a mall in Kansas and ask a teenager "What is a surfer looking for?, and the answer will always be, "The perfect wave"
9'11" PSH Hull Ripper-145 ltr    
9'3" PSH  Hull Ripper- 130ltr 
8'0" Corevac Assassin -127 ltr   
Paddles- Carbonerro PRO SERIES 85 & Riviera Camo at 70"

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 07:52:18 PM »
I really enjoyed that and shared it to my Facebook feed.
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 08:14:46 PM »
Great post, Creek!

The Search looks like a perfect board for those frigid flatwater paddles. Super stable platform to minimize the chance of falls and let you optimize your clothing for cold air rather than cold water.

When you've fallen in with that outfit, did the big boots and non-neoprene gear fill with/absorb a lot of water, and if so, how did that affect your mobility to get back on the board, and your warmth until you could paddle back and change?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 08:16:16 PM »
Nicely done....been meaning to get me some of your boots.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

connector14

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 08:26:11 PM »
Very "cool" ;D.......and I WAS going to point out there wasn't much emphasis or shots of falling in....that's pretty critical under these conditions. In my area (Hood Canal, WA) the water is 42 degrees and the air temp is in the 30's. One has to think twice before going out in these conditions. Yes,  I do it from time to time.....but falling in always a possibility and it is hard to dress for comfort when falling in....considering that usually you build up alot of sweat and body heat when dressed for the possibility of a "dip".  But I fully understand the quiet thrill and satisfaction of paddling in the Winter when it is calm and flat and serene. Your video inspires me to get back out there and just "do it".  I have been taking the easy way out and just going for long walks on these cold winter days....but I do miss the paddling. Thanks for sharing.
"never leave the dock without your paddle"
Imagine Rocket 14 ...my new favorite, smooth and fast and lite
2018 Red Paddle 14 x 27 Elite
2014 Bark Dominator 14....smooth and quiet
2014 Imagine Connector 14...the "barge"

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 12:00:23 AM »
Hardcore dedication, to staying on your board through the winter, and to the effort you're putting into you vid and photo shares. We love it.

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 04:26:17 AM »
Thanks for this thread.

I can also recommend something for cold weather.

If it's cold I'm wearing a not so expensive drysuit and functional underwear. If it's colder I can add some layers of fleece. This works fine.

But supthecreek wrote it: the biggest challenge: hands and feet

Neoprene boots (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camaro-Tauchfüsslinge-Titanium-Black-black/dp/B00WSU6QDA) in combination with ski socks or neoprene socks didn't work for me if the temperatures are lower than 5 °C and paddling more than one hour.

So I looked for alternatives and found a really useful one.
Socks: Woolpower 800 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woolpower-800gm-Standard-Sock-Black/dp/B00R25X328)
Boots: https://www.amazon.com/Lemigo-Greenlander-Winter-Boots-lining/dp/B00G4A2UTY

I bought the boots two sizes larger and removed the liner because without the liner I have a lot of space inside the boots.
Now I have three layers for up to -5 °C: Socks, drysuit, boots. And this works for minimum two hours on the board.
If it would be colder then I will try to add some ski socks or stop paddling ;-)
If I fall in I have no problem with the boots, because they are very light. In worst case I can remove the boots in the water. Back on the board, empty the boots and all is good.

For the hands I carry a pair of wetsuit gloves. But I don't like gloves and fortunately with less wind and -2 °C it works without.
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

supthecreek

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 05:50:11 AM »
Thanks folks, I am glad to see cold weather paddling getting all the feedback.... lets' DO this!  ;D

lucabrasi, thanks for the links.... great to get everyone's gear discussed.
The Elk Skin Mitts look awesome for snow shoveling and stuff that really gets my hands cold!

Great post, Creek!

The Search looks like a perfect board for those frigid flatwater paddles. Super stable platform to minimize the chance of falls and let you optimize your clothing for cold air rather than cold water.

When you've fallen in with that outfit, did the big boots and non-neoprene gear fill with/absorb a lot of water, and if so, how did that affect your mobility to get back on the board, and your warmth until you could paddle back and change?

Hi Board Stiff and connector14

My gear is chosen for cold water safety. Some of it from teachable moments :)

I have fallen in a few times over the years...like the time I was taking pictures of Mr Big in a snowstorm....
The golf vest is light weight & waterproof --- it doesn't absorb water as you can see from the 1st picture (after the fall)
My neck warmer isn't a factor and has never seemed to absorb water either.

Picture #1 is the day that I learned that water soaked gloves are very dangerous.... I was only 500 yards from the car and my hands froze almost immediatly.
Since that day, I have never gone out without a pair of wetsuit gloves on the deck, as "get home safe" gear.... they are fine for backup.... just not warm enough for main stage.

The boots are wetsuit boots.... just tall ones, they are tight on my calves so only a tiny trickle of water will get in.
There are also straps at boot top, to tighten around your leg.

I have been surfing super cold water all my life, (many times the water temps will go below 28 F (-2 c) degrees)  so the cold water is normal to me.
Wetsuits work, so my 3/2 is fine if I get wet, since I am in the water all winter anyway.
Honestly, without the turmoil of the ocean waves.... almost no water gets in to anything when I fall in flat-water.

mr_propper, glad to hear more gear that works.... do you have a different link? Your's went to Amazon.

Thanks SJ... it really is easy peezy.
One reason I talk in videos, is so people can hear the relaxed tone.... I really am super comfortable, and that is what I am trying to let people know.

There are cold, windy days, that are fun as well.... they have specific challenges, that keep it interesting. (last few pics)
I really like blizzard paddling and extreme conditions, but...
I kept this post focused on the perfect days, because they are the days that will reward folks who gear up and go!

Wetstuff

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Wetstuff
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2017, 06:59:14 AM »
Good one Sir Rick...  A particularly smart idea is the use of tall boots.  Most surfers stop at 'open toe vs split toe', not having the need to schlepp around in the shallows.  An Up North trick is to use felt sole liners - socks tend to compress. 

Jim
Atlantis Mistress .. Blue Planet MultiTasker ..   Atlantis Venom

mr_proper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2017, 07:24:05 AM »
mr_propper, glad to hear more gear that works.... do you have a different link? Your's went to Amazon.

Of course.
Here the link to the socks: http://woolpower.se/en/produkt/socks-800/
Boots, but it's a Polish site: http://skleplemigo.pl/kalosz-meski-spozywczy-863.html
The name of the boots is "Lemigo Grenlander 863"

Drysuit: http://www.dryfashion.com/products/drysuits/sup/sup-performance-blackgreen/
My Drysuit is tailor-made. Color black and yellow with neoprene cuffs and integrated dry socks.

My neoprene boots: http://www.camaro.at/en/kayak/schuhe.php?id=25299
My cap: http://us.oneill.com/shop/2mm-neoprene-beanie/

Functional underwear is from odlo, tren, peak performance, ... Normally used for running, hiking, ...
SIC RS 14x23, 2018
SIC RS 14x26, 2018
Lightcorp Signature Race 14x24.75, 2018 (sold)
JP Australia AdventurAir 12x36, 2017
Starboard Allstar 14x24.5, 2017 (sold)
SIC Bullet 14x27.25 TWC, 2015
Jimmy Lewis Sidewinder 14x25, 2016 (sold)
Sprint 14x23, 2015 (sold)
JL Stiletto 14x28, 2014 (sold)

NateNate

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 03:26:21 PM »
Your a beast! Way to not let the winter months hold you back. Couldn't imagine having to sit out a few months like some do. Especially w/ all the gear they make these days. As always, great write up Creek.

GOTWAVZ

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 04:09:31 PM »
Wow, way to charge!
HB, CA, Oahu, HI
JK 7'-8' x 28"x 4" = 99L
JK 7'-10" x 41/4" = 106 L
Joe Blair Gun 8-10" x 28 x 4 1/4
198 lbs - 5'-9"

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal